Old Military Payment Currencies (MPC)

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was a kid living on base in Japan, the military did not want US$ on the local economy, so they issued MPC (Military Payment Currency) in place of Dollars. About every six - nine months, there would be an announcement that all MPC had to be changed to a new series within 24-48 hours...again to keep it off the local economy. The $.05 below is from my childhood, and I'm still trying to go through my Dad's things to see if there are more forgotten notes of higher value. This particular one is valued at $1-30 depending on condition. The higher valued paper can go as high as $500 in this series. Sigh...

The other note is a British one used for the same purposes by their military in the war and occupation days. Found this one in an Estate sale in some old books.

MPC2.jpg

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had several opportunities to buy ones like this but they are never in very good condition. Interesting personal history you have with them.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions