Question on colored SEALS on currency

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen red seals on the $2 & $5 bills, but are there red seals on the $1 bills.
Are there $2 Green SEAL notes, but could they have a RED 8-digit serial number.
Is it very difficult to find the red(US Note) or blue(silver certs) seals in circulation at banks.
I'm thinking of jumping into searching for these star* notes & seals, need some guidance as to what to watch for, best way to obtain.

Last edited:

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dozer,
First, $1 red seals were printed but only in the 1928 series and only a couple of million were printed. Very, very unlikely to find one unless you get lucky at a bank with a good teller. The red seals were predominately $2 and 5$ notes. However in 1966 they did print some $100 red seals. Red seals bills are called United States Notes.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing still makes $2 green seal notes. Today's green seal notes are known as Federal Reserve Notes.

The blue seal notes are known as Silver Certificates and were backed by US Govt silver.

The blue and red seals are extremely rare to find in circulation. I have seen on here (Tnet) some folks will ask a bank teller if they have had any blue or red seals cashed in. Sometimes someone will get lucky!

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
3X; thanks for the SEAL info. See the Bank Strap Hunting thread for my recent finds.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diversity for me ==== profit. sold some reds recently, got $140 for a C-note from '66

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx ckrakowski. I was thinking the small notes, not the large ones.

Sorry I did not know that.

They did not specify what sized bills when they first asked about them so my answer is correct.

Also Dozer they did red seal bills for the 10 20 and 50 but those are large sized bills.

Some series years with red seal large bills.

Note: not all large sized bills for the series years have red seals.

Once you get into national currency you get quite a few more red seals.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can add in gold seals for Gold Certificates and brown seals for National Currency and WWII Hawaii overprint bills in small-sized bills. I actually got a $100 National Currency note at the bank about 5 years ago. The teller told me that she almost didn't accept it because she'd never seen one.

Scott

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
and don't forget the blue and gold seal North Africa war time notes, gotta have those too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions