devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did anyone happen to catch the story of raining money here in Georgia this past week? An armored car traveling down I-285 had one of its rear doors to open spilling the contents of a money bag and $ 175,000.00 currency. Vehicles immediately began pulling to the side of the road and folks began scooping up cash from the roadway as if they were some grand prize winners on a game show. This was all captured on video along with some license plate numbers. A young man turned in about $ 1000.00 the next day that he had collected. I believe the last I heard, just under $ 2,000.00 has been returned thus far. Good luck on the rest.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i was in Advertising, I would quickly make a "Need to Get Away" commercial for an airline with its hub in Atlanta featuring these poor guys from the armored truck.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flash bangs will fly after the Feds kick the door down--- getting a good lawyer may not help--- even if ya pay him with the stolen cash------ best youze just turn yer sorry thievin' a$$ in at the PD--- whatcha gonna do............???

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What? It's paper money flying around! It's lost, then found cash, not stolen. IMO. If I have a $20 fall out of my pocket on the sidewalk, and the person behind me picks it up, are they a thief? No. No different for an armored truck.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Finders Keepers

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It must have been a very funny sight! :hello2:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
imagine an armored car company that was to stupid to make sure the doors worked like they are suppose to , maybe they check things like that WHEN YOUR CARTING AROUND MILLIONS IN CASH....this ain't the first time it happened....DIMWITS..

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd hate to be the driver of this armored car. Try explaining your way out of this situation. Doh!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time it happened they offered immunity to people to turn in the cash they had plate numbers then also but if they had your plate number say you came in to return what you took how do they know how much you took lol
I thought they had an armed guard in the back

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I would have Picked up $2500 & would have returned 30% :thumbsup:
Would have been like Paying my taxes :coffee2:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I would have Picked up $2500 & would have returned 30% :thumbsup:
Would have been like Paying my taxes :coffee2:

Could we then give you 30% of an honorable mention?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised by some of the responses. Situational ethics. Had it been an old person at the grocery line accidentally dropping cash on the floor, would you keep it? Even if nobody else was watching? Does it make a difference that the cash was lost by a corporation?

I have found & returned several wallets and purses over the years. It never occurred to me to check for and take the cash.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised by some of the responses. Situational ethics. Had it been an old person at the grocery line accidentally dropping cash on the floor, would you keep it? Even if nobody else was watching? Does it make a difference that the cash was lost by a corporation?

I have found & returned several wallets and purses over the years. It never occurred to me to check for and take the cash.

if I saw a Politician I hated Drop it, I'd Count the Money & Fight with My Conscience

:laughing7:

index.jpg

Seriously Though, My other post was in Jest,
But Really ? the Money on the Road is Obviously Insured.
Insurance rates will Never Drop No matter What !

Most People Don't check their Homeowners to see if it Covers $300.00 in a Wallet,
They just Hurt. odds are if it does, their rate will increase. & They could eventually be paying Thousands More, as it will never revert Back to the old rate.

there is a Difference in my mind. I Would Not Judge someone who
Picks up even A Bag of $50,000 in bills from The Street.
& If on Their jury, they would either be acquitted or it would be a hung Jury.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it was already paid back through insurance. The driver probably lost his job and the beat goes on and the beat goes on....drums keep pounding rhythm to my brain.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I saw a Politician I hated Drop it, I'd Count the Money & Fight with My Conscience

:laughing7:

View attachment 1738312

Seriously Though, My other post was in Jest,
But Really ? the Money on the Road is Obviously Insured.
Insurance rates will Never Drop No matter What !

Most People Don't check their Homeowners to see if it Covers $300.00 in a Wallet,
They just Hurt. odds are if it does, their rate will increase. & They could eventually be paying Thousands More, as it will never revert Back to the old rate.

there is a Difference in my mind. I Would Not Judge someone who
Picks up even A Bag of $50,000 in bills from The Street.
& If on Their jury, they would either be acquitted or it would be a hung Jury.

In my mind, something can be wrong and not illegal. I'm tired of hearing politicians justify their corruption by saying that its ok because they have not been charged or convicted of a crime.

Me? No question, I'd return every dollar. The insurance is pure rationalization IMO.

Would you return a lost item found on the highway that has identification on it? Although I consider a fracked gas company to be an enemy because they built a refinery adjacent to my old neighborhood and pours tons of carcinogens into the neighborhood, when I found a piece of their equipment that had fallen off a truck, I returned it (yes, I was tempted to take & destroy it).

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my mind, something can be wrong and not illegal. I'm tired of hearing politicians justify their corruption by saying that its ok because they have not been charged or convicted of a crime.

Me? No question, I'd return every dollar. The insurance is pure rationalization IMO.

Would you return a lost item found on the highway that has identification on it? Although I consider a fracked gas company to be an enemy because they built a refinery adjacent to my old neighborhood and pours tons of carcinogens into the neighborhood, when I found a piece of their equipment that had fallen off a truck, I returned it (yes, I was tempted to take & destroy it).

I would return it because of my conscience but they can't expect to get it all back. They must already write it off. Not everyone has a conscience.

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to show effort was made to return the item, otherwise, they could call it " theft by finding"....I guess it's a thing.

I remember a truck full of meat turned over on a highway in Texas when I was young....stopped traffic on both sides for EVER. Folks were running all over picking up packages of steaks and roasts. Mom....why does my porterhouse have road rash?

I found a 100 dollar bill laying on the sidewalk in front of the bank....brand new note. I thought it was a joke like maybe had a string attached or it was a fake advertisement.....so I stood and looked at it for a while. There wasn't any foot traffic to speak of, I waited for a few minutes for somebody to come around frantically looking at the ground, but nobody came along and I bent over and picked it up. It made me feel bad for whoever lost it, an elderly person or somebody who really needed it. There is no way to return that.....I mean, what are you going to say? Did anybody lose a hundred dollar bill? anyone? You'd likely have 4 people show up to claim it ha ha.

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Absolutely a crime to keep the money, as it should be. The money was not lost it was dropped. If I drop my wallet, whether I know it’s dropped or not, it is still a crime for you to keep it. As soon as the wallet leaves my pocket it’s not a free for all to see who can scoop it up quickest.....

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the same ethics should be employed in metal detecting. Anything found would be the property owners. If public property, turn it in to the city or state who owns the property. The only things you could keep would be those found on your own property. Does not seem so black/white now, does it? Nobody would detect if they had to give away whatever they found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread