Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Like Tree393Likes

Thread: The Pearl Ship

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    ,Minelab Equinox 800, GGT Sluice, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    209 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I stayed up, listened and enjoyed ! It has been a while since I've been awake past 10pm. This one is local to me so I like reading (or listening) about the Pearl Ship.
    Liked It !!

us
    Mar 2015
    state of jefferson
    bounty hunter (For Now)
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtdwg1 View Post
    I stayed up, listened and enjoyed ! It has been a while since I've been awake past 10pm. This one is local to me so I like reading (or listening) about the Pearl Ship.
    Liked It !!
    Man am I jealous I missed this I just got off a assignment. Where can I find it?
    Thanks
    On the path now, doesnt matter left or right, never had to choose never said i might, might be F**King short but never intimidated by height

us
    Dec 2015
    San Diego
    Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
    37 times
    It was you. Didn't want to give away your identity. That's all. So, if I may ask. You believe, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Elmer Carver is telling the truth?

us
    Dec 2015
    San Diego
    Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
    37 times
    We're you able to find it? I wasn't
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    state of jefferson
    bounty hunter (For Now)
    53 times
    Negitron I haven't been able to found some other good podcasts though. PLL can you send a link or direct us to one
    On the path now, doesnt matter left or right, never had to choose never said i might, might be F**King short but never intimidated by height

us
    Just an old man enjoying life...

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    197 times
    Hi gang,
    Just ordered an interesting book about pearling and the Cardonas entitled "American Baroque, Pearls and the Nature of Empire, 1492-1700" by Prof. Molly A. Warsh. Warsh is a history professor at University of Pittsburgh and according to her research, the expedition may have had an early example of a diving suit. There is even a picture of it in her book. I know this sounds strange, but to me, Cardonas expedition always seemed more military than civilian and this might explain why. I also wondered why you would give up 3 ships in the Caribbean and then travel overland, to simply build 3 more ships?!?!? But it might be easier to hide a suit in your caravan and you don't risk it being captured or lost while sailing... Gotta run, but I'll be posting more on this when I can...

Adios
    PLL

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    8023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pegleglooker View Post
    Hi gang,
    Just ordered an interesting book about pearling and the Cardonas entitled "American Baroque, Pearls and the Nature of Empire, 1492-1700" by Prof. Molly A. Warsh. Warsh is a history professor at University of Pittsburgh and according to her research, the expedition may have had an early example of a diving suit. There is even a picture of it in her book. I know this sounds strange, but to me, Cardonas expedition always seemed more military than civilian and this might explain why. I also wondered why you would give up 3 ships in the Caribbean and then travel overland, to simply build 3 more ships?!?!? But it might be easier to hide a suit in your caravan and you don't risk it being captured or lost while sailing... Gotta run, but I'll be posting more on this when I can...

Adios
    PLL

Well the obvious reason was that with no Panama canal, it could take months to sail around South America to get there. It would be faster to just build new ships on the spot.

Please do continue;
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

us
    Just an old man enjoying life...

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    197 times
    True Oro, but "if" they really did use an early diving suit, they may have also had security concerns too... They could hide it easier in their overland supplies. Funny thing though, the earliest info I have found on diving suits is from around 1677-78, this would be 50-60 years earlier... I should have something by Friday for everyone...

Adios
    PLL
    Last edited by pegleglooker; May 01, 2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Shortfinger likes this.

May 2014
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carajou View Post
    http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...1&X=5&Y=35&W=1

The above link is to Terraserver's image of the Salton Sea, California, and this concerns the story of the Pearl Ship, which was supposedly a galleon that got trapped in a rare flooding of the area from the Gulf of California about 1615. Some stories state it went aground about 30 west of Dos Palmas; that it involved a "Captain Iturbe"; it had onboard a king's ransom in pearls.

So, short of going into the Spanish Archives, here's the other option. Look at these satellite photos of the northern Salton Sea area for the ship. If it exists, it should show up somewhere along the edge of the mountains where maximum flooding took place.
    I think if you did run aground you would send shipmates over board to dig it out to try to get unstuck and if the water was recessing and you kept sending people over bored to dig it out and if you couldn't get it unstuck in time the ship would be stuck so if you can imagine this ship being gone . The imprint where the ship ran aground would look just like the bottom of hull ..this pic is close to Salton Sea it would be in route to or from Salton Sea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snip-it_1543146641349.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	1654916  

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links