Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Lost galleon of the desert and San felepe wash finds

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11803 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Crow, the nearest Manilla Galleon is at Bandera,Bay, cost Rico, under yea many meters of mud.
    Crow likes this.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    3580 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Don Jose what a nice place to being a bit of diving and searching for shipwreck.

Crow

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    8027 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Hello Oro no you are correct it is a highly probable comment.

I suspect that what ever the shipwreck it was not a Manilla Galleon. In fact very few disappeared over the centuries of the trade. However other small trade vessels involved in coastal trade and smuggling such as small caravel could have brought some trade goods traded from Acapulco up the coast and perhaps wanting to trade with the mission settlements of Baja by was driven North by a hurricane wrecking on the then beach line. Another thought is the ship of Don Jose story could be an entirely different shipwreck than the Pearl ship?

Crow

HMMMM - another lost ship, like perhaps the last voyage of the pirate ship CONTENT, mayhaps?

The Last Voyage Of The Content Ship Lost in the Desert - DesertUSA

<many other links online, look up Cavenish, the Hugh Gallant etc>

The Content was a pirate vessel of sixty tons burthen, and supposedly sailed up the gulf of California never to return. This particular ship had already had successes in attacking Spanish shipping too, so finding imported Chinese china, would definitely be a hot clue.

Please do continue,
    Oroblanco

SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    3580 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oroblanco View Post
    HMMMM - another lost ship, like perhaps the last voyage of the pirate ship CONTENT, mayhaps?

The Last Voyage Of The Content Ship Lost in the Desert - DesertUSA

<many other links online, look up Cavenish, the Hugh Gallant etc>

The Content was a pirate vessel of sixty tons burthen, and supposedly sailed up the gulf of California never to return. This particular ship had already had successes in attacking Spanish shipping too, so finding imported Chinese china, would definitely be a hot clue.

Please do continue,
    Oroblanco

Indeed reading through Thomas Cavendish capture of the manila Galleon Santa Anna they cherrypicked the cargo. 100 pounds of gold was divided between the Content and Desire. The Desire made it back to England. The content of course vanished. It may of be possible the the captain of the Content thought lower california was an island and sailed North up thtough the sea cortez only run around on a desert beach later over time the ship bacme a shipwreck lost in the dunes. The value of gold alone is around 1 million dollars if found? Not counting the possible value of the crates of porcelin from China.

Crow

Miss

Sep 2006
    california
    23 times
    california desert lore
    Crow I always wondered if the ship that was said to be in the sand hills near Arizona's Pinacate mountain was the content by all rumors it was larger than the pearl ship and had china dishes.

btw Pegleglooker did a nice radio broadcast recently about the lost ship on the Death Valley Jim Program
    Last edited by Isayhello2u; Dec 07, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
    hooch likes this.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11803 times
    Crow is busy changing diapers, so I'll post my two cents.

The Indians always told me it was in the sand near the Mexican Pinacates, Sonora. But I haven't figured how ?? unless the area has changed radically..
    Oroblanco likes this.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2709 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Oldergoate,

The "Lost Ship of the Desert" referred to in all the magazine articles and stories was found many years ago. It is no secret locally to many people in the Brawley/El Centro Area.

One man used most of the aft section of the Caravelle to build an addition onto his house in the 1950s. It is my understanding that a small portion of the front section is still there, but usually lies under 20-30 feet of blow sand. I was told the whole story by more than a couple of people. I haven't had the chance to go to the spot where the ship sits (no treasure so not that important in the grand scheme).

Look in other thread on this subject to see a satellite pic of the site.

Mike
    Hey Mike, was that the guy that had the corral made from some of the planking out back of his place?
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links