Viking Longboat Found in California Mountains! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Viking Longboat Found in California Mountains!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    El Dorado: Gold is where you find it.

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
    2492 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp View Post
    Water level certainly couldn't.
    Unfortunately, Don Jose, I have to agree with Oro on this one. Depending on the location, it is certainly possible that the edges and canyons of some of the mountains around the Salton Basin were close enough to the water some time during the Viking era to allow for the possibility that the ship could have been moved into the canyon, either by an extremely high water level, or by the Vikings, since their ships were commonly pulled up on shore, and occasionally portaged.

JB
    Oroblanco and Ditlihi like this.

stefen
    Quote Originally Posted by motel6.5 View Post
    A tornando could have picked the boat up and dropped it their, just like in the movie Shark Tornando.
    There are tornado-like funnels along the California coast often referred to as Micro-Bursts...

However there are no tornado's (or hurricanes) inland in the shadow of the mountain range...there are Santa Ana winds, but again not in this region.
    Oroblanco likes this.

May 2014
    69 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Damn it Mike! Reading the thread title and date, I thought maybe you had been poking around in anzo borrego again and actual re-found it! Man, wouldn't that be something...Has anybody got any theories as to how a ship's bow would be sticking out of a cliffside? Are we to assume that the rest of the ship is encased in the cliff as well, or that perhaps just the bow somehow ended up lodged/wedged up there?....and that shield-I read it made for a good tortilla pan or some such

us
    Knight of the Round Bowl

Feb 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    876 times
    Cache Hunting
    Mammoth bones were routinely identified as "giant" bones before modern paleontology. Red hair isn't an exclusive Viking gene either.

Miss

Sep 2006
    california
    23 times
    california desert lore
    Quote Originally Posted by stefen View Post
    There are tornado-like funnels along the California coast often referred to as Micro-Bursts...

However there are no tornado's (or hurricanes) inland in the shadow of the mountain range...there are Santa Ana winds, but again not in this region.

um i think they do occur just as a rare event. weather reports from the area only go back about 100 years. in a way weather reports do not go back even that far as there was really no one in the area consistently making reports on the weather until the newspapers started. You live in an area for many years and you start to think that because the weather has always been the way you experienced it that is the way it always is and was. But that just is not true. As an example experts in historical weather tell us that there was a little ice age event between the 1400s and the 1800s that caused a drought in the area. Presumably the area could have been wetter in the Viking era.
    there was a desert tornado in 2015 admittedly not in the shadow of that side of the mountain range but still not all that far away as storms go.
    [Pics and Video] A Tornado Hit Desert Center Tuesday!! - Cactus Hugs

us
    Oct 2011
    SE Arizoa
    477 times
    There's a petroglyph of a Viking ship in the cliffs above the Agua Fria River north of Phoenix also. I have no explanation of it or of the "space men" petroglyphs a couple miles south of it but in the same canyon. I can give general directions to anyone who asks by PM but getting permission to cross the private ranch to get to them is up to you. The ranch manger who I used to know died a few years ago in a helicopter crash.
    Last edited by Injunbro; Sep 15, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
    Oroblanco and Ditlihi like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links