Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Baggins,

Comming for a visit?

Anyhow....First off, no, you don't need a permit.

Point State Park is the only one I can think of that is off limits. A state park!

We have North and South Parks on the outskirts of the city, those are county parks and ok to detect, there's Highland Park Reservoir, which has a shelter going back to the 1830's....I found Indian heads there some years back.

Scheney Park in Oakland,

Harrison Hills which is near me but was only built in the 1960's
Deer Lakes Park in East Deer Twp., again built around the 1960's

And there's a slew of smaller parks and playgrounds, some older, some not. Try using Google Earth and zoom in an area...you'll spot the parks.

Don't do Etna ballfield...the caretaker isn't very friendly and is afraid someone will rupture the underground sprinklers...which he said has happened in the past.

I've never had an issue with detecting anywhere around here...except that guy in Etna.
If I can help you out any more, let me know.
Al

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so jealous, you get to hunt in my hometown. My Mom is leaving for Pittsburgh later today. I wish I could go with her. Darn work >:( I was up there last June and got to hunt for a whole 45 minutes. :( I don't have any info, just wishing you luck.

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Thanks Al!
Baggins

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Park has a lot of history, but I can tell it has been POUNDED over the years. I talked to one of the park maintenance guys there and he gave me several good spots in the park to check, including some old homes, but nada.

I suppose it is worth a closer and more patient look than I have right now though lol, so you may want to check it out.

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Thanks for the info....not sure if I will even have time, but never hurts to hope...
Baggins

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Does anyone know if the old Nike sites are open? The sites are cleared out but no new developement is shown.
There is one over near the airport and It may be cool just to visit. My brother lives about a mile away and had no clue it was there....
JG

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks Sue.
I was wondering if they are accessable. I have seen photos people have taken but It would be cool to scan the yards and lots.
Here is the one near my brother.
NikeSite.jpg

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pics of that site in Dorseyville are awesome...looks like it could be some great detecting.

I went to school in Dorseyville and as soon as I read JD's post, I remembered hearing of the Nike Site there. It wasn't far from our school. It was still operational back then...(Okay, now you know I'm getting old), I was in Jr. High.

I never even thought of that as a place to detect. Those pics were from 2007 so it should still be intact and detectable.

Soccerfields right next to the launch pad....the community center that used to be the barracks, the basketball court.......Hmmmm....operational from the mid 50's to 74.....could be some loose change laying around.
Could be a good place for some of us from the 'burg' to have a group hunt. :thumbsup:

Al

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
deepskyal said:
The pics of that site in Dorseyville are awesome...looks like it could be some great detecting.

I went to school in Dorseyville and as soon as I read JD's post, I remembered hearing of the Nike Site there. It wasn't far from our school. It was still operational back then...(Okay, now you know I'm getting old), I was in Jr. High.

I never even thought of that as a place to detect. Those pics were from 2007 so it should still be intact and detectable.

Soccerfields right next to the launch pad....the community center that used to be the barracks, the basketball court.......Hmmmm....operational from the mid 50's to 74.....could be some loose change laying around.
Could be a good place for some of us from the 'burg' to have a group hunt. :thumbsup:

Al

I am up for a group hunt, never did one before.

Sue

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Ripper,

Yes, the Three Rivers Council of American Indians has a lease on it.

Al

Ripper

Mar 18, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Etrac with Sunray x1 probe
deepskyal said:
Hi Ripper,

Yes, the Three Rivers Council of American Indians has a lease on it.

Al

I live about 5 minutes from there, I drove up there yesterday. The council puts on a show every semester at North Campus where I teach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread