Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.thevintageracer.com/articles/gone_but_not_forgotten2.htm

is this Schoentown's Anthracite Raceway ?

!ANTH.jpg

!ANTH1-11-05Warren_Smokey-03.jpg

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck getting permission, or so im told

a retired state cop owns that land.....i hear he isnt too nice of a fella, and doesnt want people near there

there are a TON of defunct race tracks......a guy i work with knows many, huge race fan

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soopacee said:

a retired state cop owns that land.....i hear he isnt too nice of a fella, and doesnt want people near there

there are a TON of defunct race tracks......a guy i work with knows many, huge race fan

Yes I was told by a couple others
he does not even want to discuss
anyone entering the property,
& gets Irate when even asked
if you can walk in and look

& even at the above link it says many have been arrested.

however I have a hunch.
& plan a different non-confrontational approach
to getting him to hear me out at least.

Maybe he's just tired of people
sneaking on or knocking at his door.

I won't try till Spring though.

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
soopacee said:

however I have a hunch.

well i hope all goes well.....everything is still standing in its original spots too....concession stands etc....

shouldnt be hard to find the hot spots

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one with an overlay that someone else is checking out. You can see the old oval overlaid on google earth and the concession stands would have been in the woods. I think the old map is from the early 1920's.

It's all part of an old fairgrounds, some new housing plans around it....

That's what sucks about a lot of the old race tracks around here. Flat, level, cleared land...let's build a housing plan... >:(

Wish I had been around before some of em were paved over.

Al

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 710

steveinphilly

Jan 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

however I have a hunch.

I just found this message while searching for info on the track. Did you ever get there to walk around?

In the late 1970s when I was a kid, I walked there a couple times with my grandmother or with my dad, who grew up a half-mile away. The track and the infield were still dried crusted dirt then, like you might see at the bottom of a dry lake bed. My dad told me he thought it had closed because a car went off the track and killed someone in the stands, but I can't find anything about that online. I am surprised to find that it had only closed a couple years earlier. Just south of there is a small pond that my dad said everyone called Priesty's Lake because at least in the 1950s when he would go there, it had been owned by a priest.

Anyway, in the late 1980s/early 1990s I went with my cousin who was maybe about 10 (and I was 20) to find the track. We started walking across the path that comes out from Kuper Drive when we heard someone yelling at us from the house up the hill. He told us to stay where we were and then walked down to us. Even though we were a college kid and a 10-year-old, he told us that it was private property and that he would have us arrested if we didn't get off the land. We said we just wanted to see Priesty's and the racetrack. He asked how we knew about those and we told him our dads had grown up there. He asked our name, and we told him. He said something like, "Oh, I know your grandfather. Well, you better get off the land because it's private property." Then he watched us until we left. We told our grandfather and he told us it was that retired state trooper and started muttering about what a jerk that guy was. I thought maybe it was a personal beef between them, but it sounds like that guy was a jerk to everyone!

Anyway, now that I know the name of the track, I have been doing some interesting reading about it and showing it to my dad. If anyone has any pictures of the track more recently or any stories about it, I'd love to hear more. Thanks!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I never made it out, But seems to me it would be a waste of Time from all I've been Told.

all My Old Photo albums have Disappeared.
They were loaned to My Aunt who Recently Died.
There may be Photos in it from The Races , But So far the only Thing I got is Her Memories
which I Just got Done reading. I'm Still waiting on response on The albums

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't know the Reason for its Closure,
But Big Diamond Raceway Replaced it

Black.jpg

Big.jpg

BD.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schoentown's Raceway

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

top.jpg
......... center.jpg

Last edited:

steveinphilly

Jan 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, jeff of pa. In your last picture, where the letters ING of the word SEATING are, if you look at the current Google Maps satellite view, it looks like there might be some structures standing still. Is that where they had some? It's hard to see other structures from the satellite view except above the word PIT in your photos and that looks like a wall.

Thanks, NHBandit--some good photos there.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, jeff of pa. In your last picture, where the letters ING of the word SEATING are, if you look at the current Google Maps satellite view, it looks like there might be some structures standing still. Is that where they had some? It's hard to see other structures from the satellite view except above the word PIT in your photos and that looks like a wall.

Thanks, NHBandit--some good photos there.

I don't remember if there was a Wall back behind the Pit or Not.

But on the other, I Believe I remember a Concession Stand up Behind The seating in that General Area.
There may also have been an Announcement Stand back there on top.

The Flag Stand, If Memory Serves Was Front and Center,
But May have been slightly to the Left Of center.
Hard to Remember because Back then I attended 3 Dirt tracks

Gold Mine
Schoentown
& Big Diamond

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my hometown (Chewton, PA), we had a horse track in the early 1900's. Here's an excerpt from a local paper. "In the early 1900s, there was a race track behind the current location of the Chewton Volunteer Fire Department station. It was considered the best horse-racing track in the county and attracted people from surrounding areas. It ceased operation about the time World War I started."

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be. I'm going to try to find more info from that era when I have a chance. And thanks for posting that link. It's great. I've been trying to find early aerial photos for a while now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I had figured it out just prior to your post. Also found some very early topo maps that provided building sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread