What Happend to ATLAS PARK west Penn twp. ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& When ?

the Park, Chemical Co. & Powder Plant
are now all gone & BELLA TERRA FARMS LLC
Own the land.

Was this an Old Park ?

ATLAS_PARK.jpg

!_!_schuylkill_outside_gis-apps32683436446865.jpg

the 1875 Atlas just shows open land.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be off base with the information, but it appears that Atlas Powder Co. first purchased land around 1913? or so and built the factory there, looks like around 1971 the company was in decline and was bought out and totally gone by the early 1990's. It mentions 660 acres of remediated area, but to another company. But, maybe you Jeff can make more sense out of the info below than I could, but sure seems to be in the same area. I would have to say, the "Park" was probably a Industrial type park and not a park as we would think of.

Don

Excerpts below are from this website: http://www.jttoday.com/2005/2005-01/AtlasShrugged/AtlasShrugged.html

By the turn of the last century, the DuPont Company had taken over Nobel’s patent and gained a monopoly in the U.S. explosives market. In 1913, the DuPont monopoly was broken up into three companies: the Hercules Powder Company, the Atlas Powder Company, and the du Pont de Nemours Powder Company.
Atlas Powder Company immediately purchased land in Reynolds, south of Tamaqua for its plant. In 1971, ICI Americas, Inc. purchased Atlas Powder Company and sold off most of the manufacturing operations in 1973.
ICI Americas repurchased the same Atlas Powder Company assets in 1990 and renamed the facility ICI Explosives USA Inc., in 1992. The explosives manufacturing operations ceased in the mid-1990s.
In 2001, ICI Explosives USA Inc. changed its name to E-One Holdings Inc. and divested this property to a new subsidiary, Expert Management Inc. In December 2002, EMI became a wholly owned subsidiary of ICI Americas Inc., and is no longer associated with E-One Holdings Inc. EMI has been looking to sell the property. The property is currently under remediation.
A 660-acre remediated area has been sold to Copperhead Chemical Company, a manufacturer of nitroglycerin used in the treatment of angina and congestive heart failure and explosive materials for use in propellants, fuel additives, and munitions.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don !

I took that into consideration even thow on the map it's
Listed under the list of Parks for recreation & not under the list of Industrial Parks.
But Map makers do make Mistakes.
I also checked a 1999 arial the above is a 2004 arial.
the '99 dosn't look much different except it appeard to have more trees in '99

the Penn Pilot site is down
so I can't check 30's & 50's ariels right now

the atlas Power Company was Below the Chemical Company.

& had a major Explosion in the 70's or early 80's I believe.

I'm Still 50/50 on if this upper part was for recreation or for Buisness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread