deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This aerial photo, in today's "Valley News Dispatch" is in reguards to the wonderful air I breath everyday....
Chromium...yummy... >:(

Anyhow.....I circled the area where there is a parklet. This patch of grass has been there for going on 150 years.
By the railroad tracks, near the street, was a train station and dead center of that diagnol path used to be a bandstand where Penn Salt's company band played on weekends and special occasions back in the early 1920's.....maybe earlier but that era for sure.

Also note the grouping of houses around that area. Most were built in and around the 1850's. Yet they still stand....chromium must not hurt houses. :icon_scratch:

The other picture is of the bandstand that used to be in the parklet. I'll add more pics as i go through this DVD someone made on the local history.
It's amazing how many really old houses stand in this town....circa 1800.

For a crappy, run down, dirty milltown...it's just incredibly rich in history. (Personally, they should just bulldoze it gently** and give me exclusive rights to detecting the entire area)

As a matter of fact, it was a man from Natrona that shot President Coolidge.

And that little playground I mentioned some time ago they were digging up and redoing.....turns out it was a baseball field back in the late 1800's...wow...what a missed opportunity. :'(

Well...maybe I'll get one more shot at detecting this weekend...suppose to be close to 40 and not rainy. Sure do want to hit that park.

**Gently: Take all the rubble, including nails and maybe the top inch or so of soil....leaving the rest smooth and level for detecting. :thumbsup:

Here's to a short winter. :coffee2:

Al

Attachments

• Allegheny Ludlum Parklet.jpg
    Allegheny Ludlum Parklet.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 272
  • vlcsnap-2982376.JPG
    vlcsnap-2982376.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 266

Ripper

Mar 18, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Etrac with Sunray x1 probe
Hey Al,

This weather stinks, I just picked up an Etrac (my Christmas present). It was in the low teens the day it came >:(

Maybe it will warm up just enough to get out.

Anyway I wanted to say hi :D

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
deepskyal said:
For a crappy, run down, dirty milltown...it's just incredibly rich in history. (Personally, they should just bulldoze it gently** and give me exclusive rights to detecting the entire area)

What about your MDing buddies?

I'm hoping to get back out to that park and work more where that pavillion stood on Sunday.

Sue

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey ripper....Sue..

Just found out i'm working saturday but Sunday sounds like it may be a tad warmer anyhow. Don't know how beat up I'll be after Saturday...hate working out in this crap. I'm not a polar bear....those teens were killin me.

Did you try that old park Sue? Did you find anything. I know you said you were gonna check it out.

If I could convince Natrona to level this town...I'd have a group hunt, it'd take me a long time to do a couple square miles on my own. :thumbsup:

Anyhow...good luck with the new machine Ripper...

If i dont talk to you Sue, have fun Sunday.

Al

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hi Al!

Yes, I have been there 2 times. Found nothing but junk, but I am digging every sound. I still can't figure out the difference between coins and junk. :icon_scratch: Probably because I haven't found anything good to compare sounds with, lol. At least I not giving up. :thumbsup:

I am working early Sunday, 3am to around 7am, doing papers. If you are planning on hunting Sunday and want company, I am up for it. The only thing is, you will need to call me around 1-1:30 to wake me up.

Monday I am going to the park to work where that old pavilion was before the rain comes in.

Sue

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ripper,

You and I in same the boat. That is about when I started too. I just keeping going at it. Even if I don't find anything, it gets me out of the house for a couple of hours while the kids are at school.

Sue

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
halfdime said:
Not to get sidetracked, but I wasn't aware that Coolidge was shot!

I think you're right and the historical DVD is wrong. I tried doing a search on Coolidge being shot and cannot find any info on it.

Al

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Garfield is the president shot by the guy from Natrona. There is a Garfield St in Natrona. I have always wondered if they renamed the street he lived on Garfield St.

deepskyal said:
halfdime said:
Not to get sidetracked, but I wasn't aware that Coolidge was shot!

I think you're right and the historical DVD is wrong. I tried doing a search on Coolidge being shot and cannot find any info on it.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread