CHIPPEWA BURIAL GROUNDS (New Castle, Lawrence County)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chippewa burial mounds were disturbed by development, and the Native Americans have been seen walking their old burial grounds at night ever since, with especially heavy activity during the full moon. Sightings include four different warriors, two women, and a young child. This is a tough one to check. Chippewa's were uncommon in this area, being a midwest Great Lakes tribe. Most local Indians were Delawares or Iroquois Confederacy tribes like the Shawnees, although the ancient mounds of the Adena were found occasionally in the area. The court's out on this one

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
You have anymore info on this? Locations or nearby roads? New Castle is maybe an hour from me.

Sue

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Nothing.

Must be a Local Tradition

Whether Based on Fact or Legend ? I Don't know

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont go messin with ghosties

and i would never remove anything from that land

just my 2 cents

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
soopacee said:
dont go messin with ghosties

and i would never remove anything from that land

just my 2 cents

I agree. Hawaii has the Night Marchers.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
There were no Chippewas in western PA. However, there are many Delaware villages in Lawrence Co. and northern Butler Co. Most date from the French and Indian war period. Some later villages were associated with the "Christian Indians." Most of these sites have been destroyed by mining or development. There is a Shawnee village from the French & Indian war period not far from smurf-sue. This site has never been developed. I am hoping to get permission to hunt this site.

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
davew0710 said:
There were no Chippewas in western PA. However, there are many Delaware villages in Lawrence Co. and northern Butler Co. Most date from the French and Indian war period. Some later villages were associated with the "Christian Indians." Most of these sites have been destroyed by mining or development. There is a Shawnee village from the French & Indian war period not far from smurf-sue. This site has never been developed. I am hoping to get permission to hunt this site.

Hmmmm, I think you need to PM me where this place is that is near me. You got me curious now. I won't steal your site though, unless you invite son and I to go with you.

Sue

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davew0710 said:

My guess when someone related the Story
they couldn't remember the name of the Tribe
but the word Chippewa was the first name to Pop up.
So they said "Chippewas"

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
[/quote]

My guess when someone related the Story
they couldn't remember the name of the Tribe
but the word Chippewa was the first name to Pop up.
So they said "Chippewas"
[/quote]

Your probably right......can't tell your Indians apart without a program

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a CHIPPEWA Twp in Beaver County Connected to Lawrence I Believe

What's that About ?

could it be near or over the border somewhere ?

Is Newcastle in Southern Lawrence ?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!!DFH.jpg

So if it Exists it would Be between Southern NewCastle Lawrence County & CHIPPEWA TWP
Beaver County

Of course CHIPPEWA TWP could be the reason the Story teller thought of them

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
jeff of pa said:
there is a CHIPPEWA Twp in Beaver County Connected to Lawrence I Believe

What's that About ?

could it be near or over the border somewhere ?

Is Newcastle in Southern Lawrence ?

New Castle is probably 20 miles north of Chippewa Twp.

According to township histories:
Settlement of the area known as Chippewa began when the treaty of 1795 was signed with the Chipwayanwok Indians. The name "Chippewa" is a shortened English version of an old Indian word, Chipwayanwok, which means tailskins. This name was given to the Indians who lived in this area because of the nature of their dress. The tails of animal skins formed a fringe around the outer edge of their jackets and other clothing and thus they became known as the "Tailskins" or the "Chipwayanwok" tribe.

This sounds like mish-mashed history to me. by 1795, most Indians had been pushed out of southwest PA. There might have been a few families that lived in the area, but certainly no tribes were left here in the 1790's.
There was a strong Seneca, Delaware and Shawnee presence in western PA, but that was 30 to 40 years earlier. there were a couple of major settlements in Beaver county in the 1740-1760's. maybe the Chipwayanwok name stems from that time but I doubt it. I spent quite a bit of time studying the western PA frontier in grad school and never heard of the chipwayanwoks.
I find that a lot of local history about Indian tribes is based on fantasy and rumor rather than fact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions