How do you approach property owners to search thier yards?

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
I have collected a few dozen old houses in my area from the assessment sight. Some date back to the early 1800's. Now the question is, how do I approach these people to search around their houses? Do you offer them a pick of your find or just show them what you found? What kind of approach do you use and what kinds of responces have you gotten? I just want to prepare myself for spring because there are a lot of potential spots out there and if work stays slow, I plan on going to town with this hobby. I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks,
Rugratt

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
I have that same question........ How do Approach the owners of the property with out seeming like your going to rib them. I mean in this day and age I think people are not as trusting.

OP
OP
rugratt

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Every situation is different; some owners are very congenial and happy to let you search. Others are paranoid and guarded and will forbid it. I've found that older folks are easier. I try to establish some rapport before I ask; otherwise, I risk coming across like someone looking to take advantage of them. If you get turned down, don't let it bother you. Be considerate and the day may come when you'll be able to change their mind. I have a little pamphlet made up that describes what I do and how to contact me. Property owners can read it at their leisure. The fact that it has pictures of old coins on the front and back almost guarantees that they'll at least read it. After that... I've also found that word of mouth helps; someone you know and have a good relationship with may know the owner of a property you're interested in. That can be your in.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Every situation is different; some owners are very congenial and happy to let you search. Others are paranoid and guarded and will forbid it. I've found that older folks are easier. I try to establish some rapport before I ask; otherwise, I risk coming across like someone looking to take advantage of them. If you get turned down, don't let it bother you. Be considerate and the day may come when you'll be able to change their mind. I have a little pamphlet made up that describes what I do and how to contact me. Property owners can read it at their leisure. The fact that it has pictures of old coins on the front and back almost guarantees that they'll at least read it. After that... I've also found that word of mouth helps; someone you know and have a good relationship with may know the owner of a property you're interested in. That can be your in.

I was just going to post the same as your Beginning. Every situation is different

When Elderly People I try to catch them outside While in my car yet.
Wind the window down & try to Start a Conversation.

My age or Younger I try to catch them doing Yard work.
If in a Strange Neighborhood where I Don't know if the people
are scared.

it would probably be Best when I see they have Something in their Hand to swing.

While I Don't.

They know they have the upper hand.

I Never Ring a door bell or Knock.

I can honestly say I Get rude when Strangers Knock at my door
Unless they are Stranded. or need other help.

They Preach or sell, they get the Very rude Bums rush.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A tool that I have always found to be very helpful, is to carry one of the small black (Ryker-type) display cases with me , with a few coins, a ring, and other small items in it to demonstrate to the home owner exactly what it is that I am looking for, and it reassures them that you will not be digging craters in their yard. Also, they can hold it and study it, which 99% of the time generates enough curiosity for them to say yes.

Another thing I have always done is to carry a small pouch of grass seed with me, and agree to sprinkle a few seeds in any hole I dig.

Good luck!

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just knock on the door and try not to think about the outcome of the conversation with the property owner. I try not to go to their door all muddy, I like to go in non detecting/casual clothes on days I'm not detecting. I usually say "Hi, I'm ________ _________, I was out today and noticed your home/property, it's beautiful. As a hobby I metal detect in my spare time and I was wondering if you would allow me to detect your beautiful property? I never leave any trace that I've recovered anything from the ground(no holes) and pick up any trash as I go." From there, if I get permission, I always ask if they will be home around the time I think I'll be finished with the property so that I can show them whatever I have found. I also always step back after knocking on the door/ringing the door bell initially so as not to appear threatining and pay attention to my body language during the conversation. Thats just what works for me, hardest part is just getting out of the truck, walking up to the door and knocking for me. Hope that helps in some way, Good luck!

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I think you should volunteer,offer your services see if they are i need for a helping hand to do some Chores , yard work , etc etc ... during that time strike up some conversations about your hobbies , you are very interested in local history yada yada yada ... then ask to detect in a couple of days , older individuals really like to reminisce about the good ol days , and respect individuals who offer there time and services to help the elderly , and those in need . The Elderly where raised in a time where neighbor helped , and looked out for one another... They may not want you to do chores but allow you to detect because of your very Kind , Caring ways towards your fellow man, and If they are truly need of your services , This is a Great way you can repay them for allowing you to use there property ... :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread