Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BREAKING NEWS: 4,000 Schuylkill County residents without power

PPL has reported more than 4,000 Schuylkill County residents were without power as of 11 a.m. Thursday, the most PPL outages for a single county in the state.

High winds have been wreaking havoc around the state, according to National Weather Service meteorologist Bill Gartner, who said dualing warm and cold fronts have sliced Pennsylvania with gusting winds.

PPL's Web site -- www.pplelectric.com/outage+center -- reported 4,239 Schuylkill County residents were in the dark this morning. The next highest PPL outage total in the state was Columbia County, with 1,720.

"We've been hearing reports of power outages, trees down, pieces of roof off of buildings," Gartner told the Republican-Herald. "My power is still out at home, in fact."

Around the state, a 90-mile-per-hour wind gust was recorded Thursday morning in Pittsburgh, and a 50-mile-per-hour gust noted in Philadelphia.

Not sure what the Winds are here in Schuylkill County
but it sounds like I'm in a Continuous Wind Tunnel here since I got up
at 4AM

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a 3 Hour Power Outage here.
come back on about 2:30

Just got an automated call telling me they Estimate everyone
will be on by 7:30 PM

there will be strong Winds till Tomorrow evening here

This Afternoon: Partly sunny, with a high near 48. Windy, with a west wind around 26 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Breezy, with a west wind between 20 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 16 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
My mom lives closer to Dave than me and she lost power sometime during the storm lastnight. She got her power back on around 4:30 this afternoon.

I prayed that I would not suffer any damage to my house and God answered my prayers. Five years ago when we had a bad wind storm, most of my awnings were ripped from the house. I remember hubby and I outside during the storm, 3-4 am, trying to somehow tie down the awnings that were hanging or cutting them off the house so they wouldn't come smashing through the windows on the front sun porch. So everytime we get high winds, like last night, I don't sleep well cause I keep thinking the awnings are going to get blown off my house. Needless to say, after my sleeping finally put me to sleep, I didn't hear a thing.

Sue

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
smurf-42 said:
So everytime we get high winds, like last night, I don't sleep well cause I keep thinking the awnings are going to get blown off my house.

sometimes good things come from bad storms. back in 85 when the tornadoes went through western pa, we lost power for a couple of days. with no power, we had to find things to keep us busy......nine months later, my son came along.

Dave

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Oh hmmmm Dave,

I to old to have kids, don't you remember all my gray hair?

Anyways, home insurance only paid about $500.00 of the almost $2000.00 it took to replace all of the awnings. Right now I can't afford to have repairs like that. Now you see why I was stressed with the winds?

Sue

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
smurf-42 said:
I to old to have kids, don't you remember all my gray hair?

Anyways, home insurance only paid about $500.00 of the almost $2000.00 it took to replace all of the awnings. Right now I can't afford to have repairs like that. Now you see why I was stressed with the winds?

Well, Sue, if your too old to have kids, all the better. No stress there, and that will certainly take your mind off the winds.
Bummer on the awnings. Those insurance companies don't cover anything it seems.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
We had 92 mph winds recorded at the Allegheny Co. airport & driving to work in the dark was like
going thru an obstacle course, dodging trash cans stuff blown around. Lost power Thurs. at 2:30
PM & was told it might be off thru the weekend. Gassed up the generator & went to start it about
9 PM , on the second pull I heard the furnace motor kick on & power was restored. Only 6 hours or
so without power & didn't need the gen.. Hats off to those lineman at the local power company.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost power here sometime during the night.

Made coffee the caveman way in the morning. Boiled water on the stove, poured it through some grinds into a cup....mmmm...good, stong stuff :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Got home from work about 4 in the afternoon....house was 41 degrees...

Power came back on...apparently a big surge into my house....blew out the curcuit board in my furnace and the power strip to my puter...(thank god for that breaker strip...my puter could have been fried) Pretty hard finding enough outlets to plug everything back in and have the puter up and running.

Also blew out a breaker in my fuse box.

Took the furnace guy 4 hours to repair the electronics in the furnace...at time and a half. Only charged me 2 hours...but still was a 400 dollar bill.

I could do without days like this, thank you very much. >:(

Al

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUCH ! Hand Made Coffee !!! :o :coffee2:

Gotta Be a bummer on everything being Fried Too.
So far I'v been getting away with not Frying anything
when the power comes on.
May be because of the antique age of my wireing & Breaker Box wont allow the surge all the way Up.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:
OUCH ! Hand Made Coffee !!! :o :coffee2:

Gotta Be a bummer on everything being Fried Too.
So far I'v been getting away with not Frying anything
when the power comes on.
May be because of the antique age of my wireing & Breaker Box wont allow the surge all the way Up.

Yea...gotta wonder about advanced technology....everything breaks and burns up wayyyy to easy. I may just go to a flea market and buy one of those old coffee pots you use on the stove top... :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread