Fayette County

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Looks like you have some nice parks, that would be a great place to start. I'm not familiar with Fayette County but I'm sure you'll get more responses from other members.

I've been metal detecting with my 10 year old son for the last year. He also spent way too much time playing video games and watching TV. Now we get out into the woods on a regular basis. When we first started he was not comfortable in the woods, now he walks around like he owns the place.

By the way, Welcome to Treasurenet!

Paul

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
If there are some kiddie parks there with gravel or wood chips, that would be a
good place for him to learn the machine. Plus it's easy to locate your target, just
take one of those hand-held three prong flower bed rakes. Just scrape the mulch
to locate & cover it all back over. Take a bag for the junk & pick it all up, if some
one complains, just show them all the trash you're taking out for safety. Isn't there
still a park there called German-something. It's been a while since I've been there.
Or how about some old closed schools in those little patch towns like Ronco or
Lekrone or Gates, Was thru there about 2 years ago & remember seeing an old
school in Ronco or Lekrone. There's tons of history in Fayette Co. , just get him
used to his detector & keep his interest with some easy places first & he'll probably
get the bug. At least for a few years until the girls become the main interest.
Good luck with the new 'hunter' & enjoy that 'dirt-fishin'.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Tubecity gave good advise. The tot lots are an excellent place to learn a new machine.

I was in Masontown a couple of days ago. I was eyeing the old farms along route 21. If you could talk the owners into letting you look around there, you should have some good times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread