What’s the MD protocol or etiquette for this???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Hello from North East Pennsylvania!

I live just outside of Scranton in the Moscow-ish area of Lackawanna County. (anyone else up this way???)

First post here on Treasure Net.

So….what is the protocol when you scout out a hunting area and you have no CLUE who the landowner is?

In other words, I live in a mountainous area with miles of rural road. In many cases, the paved road is just an improvement to the dirt road or trail that existed waaaay back when. It isn’t uncommon to see an old, dilapidated homestead, or in some cases just a stone foundation, just off the road tucked in the woods. There are NO other homes around and often no posted signs.

What’s the MD protocol or etiquette here? Do the research to find out who owns the land? Orrrrr…..as I’ve seen posted somewhere else…….apply the 3 S’s – Search, Sift, Shut-up!

Keep in mind, I’m a beginner MD’er and don’t even have my gear yet – But I already have plenty of sites identified as ‘Must Hunt’ locations. Many fit this ‘unknown owner’ status.

Thanks Folks!

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
And Oh.....

I know of a few "Summer Camps", so to speak, that have been in operation for DECADES (Pre-1950's on some).

In THOSE cases, I know when & where to contact management.......but there are pleanty of warm months where the grounds are vacant.

Hunt when no one is around??? Or risk getting a "NO!"?

I'm very new to this and want to represent the hobby properly.

Personally, I'd choose to hunt when no one is around (these are wooded areas) and be respectful/mindful to dig carefully.

Your thoughts?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the jurisdiction. State law here requires permission even if not posted. Most people I know of were just asked to leave however. Technically you could be arrested the first time. I have gone ahead a few times when I couldn't find an owner and never got into trouble, but I was looking over my shoulder the whole time and didn't really enjoy the hunt much. The few people I know that were caught were told in no uncertain and not at all friendly terms to get out and never come back! One guy I know of had a gun pulled on him but instead of arresting the trespasser, the guy with the gun got arrested for pointing a deadly weapon. Turns out he wasn't the property owner but claimed adjoning state property as his own. You can get into some very precarious situations over property rights. Just be careful. Monty

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Gary...welcome.

I may be the wrong guy to answer you...I'm a stubborn sob when it comes to my detecting rights...

But...my 2 cents worth.

My trips into the mountains, randomly searching for something that looks out of place and detectable....If it looks abandoned, there are no traces of human activity around maintaining it...and it's sitting all by it's lonesome......I just detect it.

If it's posted no trespassing......walk away.

Pennsylvania games lands are a no-no.......but I wipe my behind with their regulations on that. DON'T GET CAUGHT.

If a place looks like a summer camp and still has activity....I'd check for ownership.
Or a fence...even broken down...I'd still check for ownership.

If you see a shanty out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a field of funny looking green plants....I probably have you in my rifle sights...run away quickly....(kidding)

But you do have to be careful of those random marijuana plots in the mountains.

I detect inner city properties that are abandoned without permission....as long as there isn't a gang hanging out nearby. They're on a list for demo...no one cares if I'm there....but I'm a handsom buggard and look trustworthy.

I beg pardon with one exception to the no trespassing rule of thumb.

I hit a ghost town up in Potter county one time. Way out some dirt road...signs saying private property...some lumber company using it for their private hunting lands....
Found a couple house foundations...detected them.....

Oh...and railroad property is all private, no trespassing. I thumb my nose at them too. You got any idea how many places were built along the RR's?...and they are gone now.
That's one of those no trespassing issues that is rarely ever enforced unless they have a good cause. I think it's just a tool for them if they want to be jerks and nail you for something....like crossing the tracks to go fishing at your favorite hole....and you are near a scrap yard that was just robbed....and the cops just happen to be there.....and the RR officials are complaining about the lack of law enforcement....

But I wouldn't know about anything like that... :wink:

Told you I probably shouldn't be answering your questions.

So get busy....as soon as the thaw hits anyhow.

Al

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Ahhhhh!

Hey deepskyal....You and I think a lot alike. :thumbsup:

And.....if it ISN'T posted obviously.....I'm not buying the "could be arrested the first time caught" statement either.

I also happen to be a firearms enthusiast/Pro2A guy who open carries everywhere (I wouldn’t do that while trying to schmooze someone & let me on their property though!). If it isn’t obviously posted – I get one verbal warning to leave….and that’s it. Failure to comply can get you arrested.

And many of the places I have in mind aren’t a ‘residence’ per se……but rather abandoned or camp-like. Ya know – the Scout Camp that’s been around for Decades…..or the religious retreat camp etc…..

First & foremost, I gotta get the gear!

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I'm very new to this and want to represent the hobby properly.

Personally, I'd choose to hunt when no one is around (these are wooded areas) and be respectful/mindful to dig carefully.
=========================================================================
Welcome to the site & I'm glad you want do the right thing for us metal detector's image. There are too
many out there who have been us a black eye for years. Still, There's plenty of old areas here & if it's
fairly remote, I'll normally just jump out & commence to exploring. I'll do my best to make it look like I
wasn't even there & won't argue (usually) if someone doesn't like it. I'll also hunt around the older
abandoned Victorian homes around here & nobody complains.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
deepskyal said:
My trips into the mountains, randomly searching for something that looks out of place and detectable....If it looks abandoned, there are no traces of human activity around maintaining it...and it's sitting all by it's lonesome......I just detect it.

If it's posted no trespassing......walk away.

If you see a shanty out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a field of funny looking green plants....I probably have you in my rifle sights...run away quickly....(kidding)
But you do have to be careful of those random marijuana plots in the mountains.

I detect inner city properties that are abandoned without permission....as long as there isn't a gang hanging out nearby. They're on a list for demo...no one cares if I'm there....but I'm a handsom buggard and look trustworthy.

I beg pardon with one exception to the no trespassing rule of thumb.
I hit a ghost town up in Potter county one time. Way out some dirt road...signs saying private property...some lumber company using it for their private hunting lands....
Found a couple house foundations...detected them.....

Oh...and railroad property is all private, no trespassing. I thumb my nose at them too. You got any idea how many places were built along the RR's?...and they are gone now.
That's one of those no trespassing issues that is rarely ever enforced unless they have a good cause.
Al

Hi Gary.
That's basically how it is around here pretty much. I'm down near Wilkes-Barre, on the west side of the Susquehanna.
If it's POSTED, just stay away. If it's posted, and you REALLY want to hunt it bad, find the owner and ASK for permission. You'd be surprized at how many people will give you permission, just because you showed them the respect to ask them, instead of trespassing. I think most people around here really just don't want people hunting deer, bear, or turkey on their property. They've never really thought about how harmless a guy with a metal detector is, until asked. Of course though, some will still say NO.
I did have the cops called on me once for detecting in some unposted woods. But he didn't do anything. I showed him my ID, and finds, and he told me I could even continue if I wanted. After he was done talking to me, he went to the landowner, and told him, "You ought to put posted signs up, if you don't want anyone in your woods".
A very pleasant encounter with law-enforcement.
I guess, technically, you COULD be charged with tresspassing on un-posted land. But for the most part, it's kinda like you get to "play dumb the first time" someone questions you about it, or calls the cops on you. But once you've been INFORMED that they don't want you there, you better not go there again without permission.
That pot plant reference made me laugh! One time I was detecting in unposted woods, and this guy came out to me from the closest house, asking me what I was doing, etc. I told him "I was just looking for old coins, old bullets, or whatever, in the woods, and that I fill in any holes I make, etc."
Then he started asking if I saw any "plants" near there. I said no.
Then he said "I had 2 VERY important plants growing right here". lol. Again, I said "Sorry, but I haven't seen them".
Then he went into a cursing fit about how he "thought his friend stole his pot plants"! F**king hilarious!
After that, he STILL gave me permission to be on his land!
I guess his weed was more important to him than any indian head penny! lol.
Railroad properties? EVERYONE tresspasses there! Can they really bother you for "cleaning up the place"?
By the way, I know of a railroad property near Moscow that has some old foundations there. I've never hunted it yet, but I know plenty of people hunt, and drink beer there. So I wouldn't feel guilty about looking for old coins there.
I know the Moscow area fairly well. I have a few friends there. I've done alot of studying of the 1873 atlas there, compared with the modern atlas. My one buddies house was built in 1900, and I have permission to go there anytime. I was gonna wait till March or April to do his house. I'll bring him my backup detector, so he can try it himself too.
Anyway, I'd be up for some hunting up that way in another month or so, if you're interested in a partner. Maybe we can clobber that old railroad site. Personally, I love old and abandoned houses.
Keep me posted when you get some gear. IM me.
Also, for your info, there's 2 very helpful detector dealers within 20 minutes of me.
"Anthracite coin and collectables" in Edwardsville, and "Burkes pot of gold" in Kingston.
Both owners are VERY knowlegdable, and active in local clubs.
Good luck!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will note Gary, I said in my jurisdiction. Pennsylvania law may be different. But anyone who is taking up detecting anywhere should accquaint themselves with the trespass laws in their state. Then how far they want to stretch the law is up to them. Out in western Kansas where I use to pheasant hunt a lot there are big signs up on lots of places that says something to the affect that trespassers must have written permission. That is for the benefit of the hunters I'm sure, but they don't say just hunters. And I do know that many trespassers have been arrested there who didn't get permission. So, I'm saying, know your trespass laws. Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Very Different in Different parts of PA

Around where I Live, Because the area is used my off road enthusiasts,
Who Pay big bucks to use it. and because Kids sneak on.
One trespassing kid decapitated himself recently on a Cable wire, & I'm sure
the parents heard from every ambulance chaser in the state after.

Your Vehicle will be towed & You'll be Arrested on sight.
Can't realy blame them, but Being the woods here were my Playground as a Kid
it does Irk Me.

Areas where They do not Charge, the Trespassing signs are only there for added
Protection from Dumpers & the Accident Prone & most likely if caught,
the owner will Chat you up first, & Decide if he likes you or not.
Give him attitude, you better not refuse to leave.

We have Mentaly Challenged Land owners Also.
Claim land that isn't Theirs. Humor them
Be nice You'll likely have no Problem.
Call them on it, they'll still waste your time
by calling the cops. even if you show them
written permission from the real owner.

Some will insist you need a Waiver Some charge Some Don't.

There are new laws in PA that give Landowers added protection
IF They allow Free Recreation. Seems Few trust it or Know about it.

Small Landowners and Farmers Should Always be asked also.

Only places I Consider Wide open

our Borough, Township, County, & State Owned Woods

Game Land ; No.

Rule of thumb for me,
If it's Considered "Public"
since I am part of the "Public"
and am not useing anything that needs to be Registered,
or licensed
on the land, & Not Building, camping, Or digging Trenches or Pits,
& There are no signs,
I Can just go do it.
But depending on Location Will ask first.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on some occasions, If the area has a Police Force bigger then one or two officers
on call.

Once I receive Permission from the landowner,

I'll make an apperance at the Police station.

Advise them "I Am a Treasure Hunter, & Got Permission to search the woods
Behind (Fill in name of area here) with my Metal detector. and just wanted to
Let you Know, I Will be there today & Possably often, If it
becomes Worthwhile. and just wanted to let you know,
So if anyone gets nervous about me/us Skulking about ;D , in case you want to Write
up a Incident or report
"

Then I Give them my Card

So everyone knows. & I Don't need to wonder if I'm going to get a visit.
with Guns Drawn, Helicopters with snipers Circling
& Homeland Security Parachuting inbecause
some old lady just got done watchin CSI :tongue3:

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
jeff of pa said:
So everyone knows. & I Don't need to wonder if I'm going to get a visit.
with Guns Drawn, Helicopters with snipers Circling
& Homeland Security Parachuting inbecause
some old lady just got done watchin CSI :tongue3:

??? :sign10:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread