Greentree...Whiskey Hollow

mhammer

Greenie
Jan 22, 2009
just got back from the hollow. I was only there for a half hour or so and like i thought a lot of trash around. I did find a 1942 wheat in pretty nice shape and a few of those giant rivet heads that they used on that train bridge and almost forgot an old pocket knife. I was using my dfx with a 6x9 coil and the eprom deep silver program. I might not have been in the exact right spots. I was just to the left of the train bridge. I 'm sure i was on a access road that they used to build that train bridge. I wish that i was going to that hunt this weekend but i promissed some friends that i would go on a motorcycle run this weekend for those cops that got killed here in pgh.. I'll try to figure my camera out and take a pic

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about 5 minutes from Greentree, so if you guys end up getting together, let me know and I will try and join you.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How's the weeds there Mike?

Was at an old homesite last night and found myself knee deep in poison ivy....it was thick and everywhere. Where the house was, giant Japanese knotweed...almost 6' high already. Looks like bamboo with the thick stalk and big leaves...very invasive here.
Amazing growth over two weeks from when I scouted the area.

Al

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
I can't mess with poison ivy!!!!

I break out if I even look at a PICTURE of the stuff!

I stay well away from that toxic, demonic weed!!!!

-

mhammer

Greenie
Jan 22, 2009
on that acess road where i was just left of the train bridge wasnt too bad at all for weeds but i'm gonna guess up where the fields were might be pretty thick. If anyone wants to do a recon, i'm up for it

mhammer

Greenie
Jan 22, 2009
well heres the wheat i found at the hollow with a quick half hour hunt. Please bear with me because this is my first time posting pics, resizing,new camera, and messing with photoshop. That was quite a bit to learn all at once but i think i got it. Does anyone have any tips on my pic taking and resizing. I think i might have did okay for my first time but not sure.

Attachments

• coins 003resize.jpg
    coins 003resize.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 544
  • coins 005resize.jpg
    coins 005resize.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 553

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
mhammer said:
well heres the wheat i found at the hollow with a quick half hour hunt. Please bear with me because this is my first time posting pics, resizing,new camera, and messing with photoshop. That was quite a bit to learn all at once but i think i got it. Does anyone have any tips on my pic taking and resizing. I think i might have did okay for my first time but not sure.

You did a good job for posting the pic. The size is perfect, not to big and not to small.

I would like to meet up with everyone to hunt his area. I am not sure of the area, I would need good directions or if Al goes if I would be able to hitch a ride with him. I don't work Sundays anymore, but my Saturdays are tied up until the end of June with sons baseball games.

Sue

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job on the pics.

I may be looking at the next two weeks off from work...know for sure tomorrow. Suggested we rotate layoffs so people dont quit while we're slow and the second in command actually said he didnt have a problem with it. But my immediate supervisor doesn't want me off...he doesnt like the other workers.....so I may get screwed into working. I wouldnt mind the 2 week rest. I'm definately off Memorial day week...whole mill will be idled down. So I'll be up for lots of detecting...if it dont rain the whole time.

Not sure about Sunday Sue.....or even the weekend...thats another "won't know for sure" til tomorrow afternoon. Worked the last 2 weekends and we dont know weekend schedules til the mill decides if they have any urgent need for us. I'll let you know. Would like to hit it soon with some folks before the weeds completely take over.

Al

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I would wait until the weeds die off in the late fall before detecting that area. The weeds are high and thick. There are some old dirt tracks near the railroad bridge from the coal mines on the hillside. I think you guys are off on the wrong track on this one. The hollow area behind CCPC has a plan of homes and that would have been the search area. Not down on the WH Rd. Before the homes were built at the bottom of Spreading Oak Dr. the road connected with WH Road. I'm a SGT with Scott PD and know the area well. You are better off looking for one of the lost treasures in the more remote areas of Pa. That's what I do :wink:

Coffin-Johhny

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this post is from a long time ago. I know a great deal about whiskey hollow. I grew up there, hence, I spent most of my time traipsing about the woods and I know a lot about the lore and I know much about particular sites.

there was a two story garage down there in say 73-74 that burned to the ground as it housed stolen vehicles and a chop shop at the time. there two massive storm tunnels down there. One is well know and the other not so much. The second one is red bricked with a constant flow of fog coming out of it which makes for a tremendously eerie location. There were remnants of stills when I was a kid and I know where they were. I found beer cans down there of the kind with the raised top. I don't know if you know what I mean. Thy were in a pile where kids from long ago drank them and left them. There was a house that was raided down there in the late 70s and since has been destroyed. There were a couple such locations that have since been destroyed. you have to know where these sites are and lastly there were a series of old tombs stones dating from the late 1700s, but I'm not sure of their lore. anyway, you need to know what your looking for to find things down there and I remember.

Frankmancinb

Sep 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this post is from a long time ago. I know a great deal about whiskey hollow. I grew up there, hence, I spent most of my time traipsing about the woods and I know a lot about the lore and I know much about particular sites.

there was a two story garage down there in say 73-74 that burned to the ground as it housed stolen vehicles and a chop shop at the time. there two massive storm tunnels down there. One is well know and the other not so much. The second one is red bricked with a constant flow of fog coming out of it which makes for a tremendously eerie location. There were remnants of stills when I was a kid and I know where they were. I found beer cans down there of the kind with the raised top. I don't know if you know what I mean. Thy were in a pile where kids from long ago drank them and left them. There was a house that was raided down there in the late 70s and since has been destroyed. There were a couple such locations that have since been destroyed. you have to know where these sites are and lastly there were a series of old tombs stones dating from the late 1700s, but I'm not sure of their lore. anyway, you need to know what your looking for to find things down there and I remember.

I grew up there too, I remember the culverts and the tombstones all from the 1700s. We would get there from the dead end at spreading oak and black oak. The tombstones were on the other side of the road, it was like an old cemetery. I would look around by the old tombstones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread