Got some new MAPS,Franklin,PA. Quadrangles/Franklin&Oil City...

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some new MAP'S,Franklin,PA. Quadrangles/Franklin&Oil City...

Hello everybody!!!...I just picked up a great 13in. by 18in. Oil&Gas feild &Farm LINE maps of the Franklin&Oil City quadrangles.it is pretty darn cool.the only problem is that part of the explanation of maps(symbols,etc.) are missing but maps are all there&very ledgible.as ANYTHING i have,own or have access to i am willing to share.i feel these maps are invaluble as they show who owns the property,where oil wells are(were?),&wells,farm lines(property owners),soil type,etc.although map(s) were compiled between 1939-44&was published in 1945 they are still(to me!) very valuble&a great find!!! so if ANYBODY wants a section copied,page,pages,etc. just let me know and i will do so as soon as time permits!(i have a book on PA. that many people have asked to use&get copies of sections...i AM still going to do so but have been VERY busy w/EVERYTHING!,I'll get back at ya's!!!)So here it is,or at least a few pics of map(s)...HH ALL&HAVE A GOOD DAY(County's include,Crawford,Warren,Forest,Mercer,Venango,Butler&Clarion) :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Picture 1127.jpg
    Picture 1127.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Picture 1129.jpg
    Picture 1129.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 347
  • Picture 1130.jpg
    Picture 1130.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 391
  • Picture 1133.jpg
    Picture 1133.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Picture 1134.jpg
    Picture 1134.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 369
  • Picture 1132.jpg
    Picture 1132.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 415
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Re: Got some new MAP'S,Franklin,PA. Quadrangles/Franklin&Oil City...

COOL!

I LOVE old maps!

I thought I posted this here on TN (I know I did over at RailFan)....
But lookee here:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/infoBPRHistoricCountyMaps

Scroll down and select to SAVE after you click to open the 1917 and the 1941 map of Venango County. They're big 6mb+ scans of the county.

If you compare the third pic down you posted of the French Creek area....you'll see that the railroad passes right next to Utica, Pa. Now look on the 1917 Map of Venango County and ZOOM THE PDF TO 120% (that's the resolution I've been studying these maps in). You can see that there used to be a train station just outside of Utica (the Map Legends are entirely legible). The 1941 map of Venango no longer shows the station......GONZO!

Granted, there may be junk there, but I'd hit it!

-

OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gary in Pennsylvania said:
COOL!

I LOVE old maps!

I thought I posted this here on TN (I know I did over at RailFan)....
But lookee here:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/infoBPRHistoricCountyMaps

Scroll down and select to SAVE after you click to open the 1917 and the 1941 map of Venango County. They're big 6mb+ scans of the county.

If you compare the third pic down you posted of the French Creek area....you'll see that the railroad passes right next to Utica, Pa. Now look on the 1917 Map of Venango County and ZOOM THE PDF TO 120% (that's the resolution I've been studying these maps in). You can see that there used to be a train station just outside of Utica (the Map Legends are entirely legible). The 1941 map of Venango no longer shows the station......GONZO!

Granted, there may be junk there, but I'd hit it!

-
Your input,link,info.is ALSO COOL :thumbsup:!!!,I myself love maps all mostly PA. of course.i have posted about maps under antiques&collectibles(empheria&paper)section/fourm about illustrated(comic/caricatures) Gulf roadside maps,they are just cool maps!!! anyway thanks for input&HH to ALL!!! :icon_study:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Great map link. Thank you for posting and sharing.

Rocklander

Mar 16, 2013
Rockland, Venango County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace350, Garrett AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see anything you have on Franklin, Oil City, Rockland, Cranberry. Basically anything on Venango County. Thank you for your time.

LesterJB

Jan 13, 2011
Rockland, PA.
Detector(s) used
trident
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I get a closer shot of the last image you have of Mays Mill/SandyCreek Area - That is where I live. Thank you - Lester

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread