Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    us
    Apr 2007
    Clearfield Pa.
    GPL , 2 box & more
    63 times

Silver Mine in Pa. ??? True or Not

Is there any truth to silver mines in Pa. You can read old stories about Indians that found silver in Pa. but is there any truth to any of this I have been ask by the Clearfield Historical Society to check out two sites in Clearfield Co. to see if their is any silver at either site. I just wonder if there is any other silver mines in the state. This area has lots of sandstone. Any info would be of help. Thank You

us
    Sep 2008
    Tamaqua Pa
    V3i

Re: Silver Mine in Pa. ??? True or Not

I googled this "clearfield pa silver mine" , there's some stories, hope it helps

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6281 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

There are (Were) at least 2 in Lebanon County

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,89110.0.html

us
    Aug 2007
    Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
    Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2

Lancaster County!!

I live a couple of miles from Silver Mine Rd., there is a park across the road from the actual mine which is fenced off (no longer active). Also silver was picked up from a field about 1/4 mile behind my house. Answer: yes there was silver mines in Pa.

us
    Aug 2007
    Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
    Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2

Buy it????

Can't buy it, the Twp. bought it along with the park land across the road, fenced and posted the mine area. Totals several hundred acres and had been a concert location for about 20 years or so with a small amphitheater. The "ONE" twp. official considers it his personal property. Its cabled off and only parking along the road for a few cars. Was good for lots of clad but now not worth the long walk. Do not know if any silver left in the mine, heard it was exhausted.

robbuckalew

I don't believe anything is exhausted but if no access we will never know

Feb 2005
    Tioga Co. Pa.
    1 times

Several stories of one being near Coudersport, Pa. near the Ice mines, Can't say if it is true or not.

us
    Apr 2007
    Clearfield Pa.
    GPL , 2 box & more
    63 times

I would like to thank everyone for their reply to this post. Now I will have to go out and find one. I just wasn't sure if there was any truth to the stories , I am going out this month to check out two sites in Clearfield Co. and I will post what I find. Thank You
    Denny

us
    My goal for 2012 is a dozen Walking Liberty Halves

Sep 2004
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
    31 times

There is a legends that there was an old silver mines in the Forest/Warren County area, Pike County & a mine in Keating, Centre county area. I believe that they all are based on old Indian legends. Hope it helps.
    I Dig Everything...Even Pull Tabs.

Feb 2008
    226 times

Hey Silver Mine Hunters: If you go to the Treasure Leads Forum and click on
    the Mormon Treasure thread it has a reference to a Spanish silver mine in Penn.
    Chapter 3 tells about Joseph Smith's treasure hunting antics. Very interesting.

lastleg

us
    My goal for 2012 is a dozen Walking Liberty Halves

Sep 2004
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by lastleg
    Hey Silver Mine Hunters: If you go to the Treasure Leads Forum and click on
    the Mormon Treasure thread it has a reference to a Spanish silver mine in Penn.
    Chapter 3 tells about Joseph Smith's treasure hunting antics. Very interesting.

lastleg
    Thank you, I will check it out.
    I Dig Everything...Even Pull Tabs.

us
    Oct 2007
    Chester County, PA
    Minelab X-Terra 30
    1 times

Try the mineral database and search by location...

http://www.mindat.org/

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    43 times

Chech this book out from 1863. Type silver into the search function. It lists 2 possibilities. http://www.archive.org/stream/thurstonsroutebo00pitt

Al
    I think...therefore I am.

Mar 2007

Generally speaking, you would not find silver in native format to be profitable enough for mining in Pennsylvania. It does occur with copper in Adams County, and was recovered as a byproduct of iron mining at Cornwall and Grace mines (Lebanon and Berks Cos. I believe). The mine in Lancaster County contained primarily galena, with traces of silver and those two metals are often found together, so any place you find galena in PA, you may find silver. Many rumors of silver mines exist in the northern tier; however, the geology of PA, especially in the Allegheny Plateau is simply not conducive to hosting silver. You would need some serious volcanic activity accompanied with hydrothermal solutions percolating through a host rock to create viable silver deposits and everything from the south west, through the north west, north central and to the north east is more or less flat sedimentary rocks. That's why Adams County, which has had recent geologic volcanic activity, does have some copper deposits and some silver associated with them.

So generally speaking, I'd say that silver is present in PA, but not in any sort of economically viable deposit. You could probably say the same for gold or diamonds - they are natively present, but not in quantities to be economically viable.

Mar 2005
    N.E.P.A.
    Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors