5.9 KB · Views: 1,371
  • shikhotel.jpg
    shikhotel.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,421
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Snyder County Formed March 2, 1855, named for Hon. Simon Snyder, Governor of Pennsylvania, 1808-17; three terms; noted as the first governor to urge legislation for free public schools; he was the great war governor of 1812; served in the Assembly from 1789-1808, and was speaker of the House from 1802-08; he lived at Selinsgrove. From end of Northumberland Bridge, built by Theodore Burr in 1814, on West Branch of the Susquehanna; the road leading south to Selinsgrove passes Blue Hill, noted for beautiful scenery. On top was formerly Hotel Shikellimy, burned in 1895; on one of the rocks overhanging is a natural profile named for Shikellimy, who sauntered about here. Farther on is a single arch stone bridge; for half a mile, beginning at this bridge, is a state road built by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Governor Pennypacker handled the first shovel of dirt in 1904; it was laid out first by James F. Linn in 1829, has since been extended.

And you've probably already seen this:
http://www.insidepamagazine.com/Summer_2008/article6.htm

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure the land is privately owned.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cravenofpa said:
Hey there anyone got info on this place

Yes, I know that place very well, have lots of information in my library on this, and have pounded it pretty good off and on for the last 10 years. The site now is Shikellamy State Park and metal detecting is allowed there and in all PA State parks. No permission is needed, I have talked with the Park Ranger on many occassions. He patrols the place periodically.

My only 2 silver dollars (Morgans) that I ever dug in 15 years of detecting came out of this site, about 10 years and 100 yards apart from each other. I suspect there are still some keepers to be found, including gold coins. I found Wheats, Indians, Barbers, and Seateds up there.

The best place to find coins.........drive up to the top utilizing County Line road, go thru the gate, drive up to the top, park your vehicle on the left facing the picnic pavillion, and hit all the woods behind the pavillion 100 yards square in all directions. Should be just leaves on the ground for easy detecting, and don't forget the mosquito repellent, or you will be eaten alive. If anybody wants to get together, I can go during the week anytime Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday are my best days. I can go Friday too if necessary. Let me know.

Caution...............Its a haven for homosexuals

I'll post some info when I get a chance, if anybody has any questions, ask away and I'll try to resolve them....................Rich

karen

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2007
Sunbury, Pa.
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the info...I'll bet it's been a good 20 years since I was last up there. The view overlooking Norry & Sunbury is nice. I really didn't think it would be okay to MD, as it is a Park. I'll have to consider giving it a try.

hdmunson

Aug 3, 2015
central pa
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever discovered the exact location of this old place up on the hill? i was here recently and have found old pieces of ceramic tiles. A friend of mine found a button with the shaft still on it dated back to civil war era. I have hit this location several times in the past few weeks and looking ofr more ideas of the hotels location at the over look. any in put would be great.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.

Good Luck on this one !
My guess it would be a Great Hunting Site !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread