jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state park must receive prior approval from the appropriate park office and report items which are found and will be removed from the park. The reasonable use of metal detectors is permitted in many state parks. Metal detecting is not permitted where this activity would conflict with a facility in use. Metal detecting is not permitted within fenced areas of swimming pool complexes (state operated or concession operated).

At many parks, metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore from the Tuesday after Labor Day until the Saturday prior to Memorial Day. During the summer season, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discretion of the park manager based on his knowledge of the use and type of facility. Metal detecting in other underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore if it does not conflict with other activities or have the potential for causing damage to the facility.

Many state park areas have the potential for the recovery of valuable historical objects. State park areas with this potential may have part or all of their area closed to metal detecting. The finding of historical objects in any state park area should be handled by first contacting the park manager of the particular park. In addition, persons should consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission if they are seeking or find historical artifacts.

Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. Permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices.

The above guidelines only pertain to state park lands. Persons should contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and/or the DCNR Bureau of Forestry for guidelines applicable to their lands.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, BUT....the Law is subject to interpretation.

Define the word Turf please.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilFisher said:
Yes, BUT....the Law is subject to interpretation.

Define the word Turf please.

the surface layer of fields and pastures, consisting of earth containing a dense growth of grasses with their roots; sod

a track, usually of grass or dirt, where horse races are run

an area of knowledge or influence: he's on home turf when it comes to music

(one's) ground or territory. : When you're on my turf, you do what I say—savvy? , This is my turf, and what I say goes.

what a surfer with a speach Problem says :
"i'm going to Turf" , "let's go turfin' "

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is allowed on the beaches at Presque Isle State without a permit. Also, you can detect in the water until the life guards come on duty which in most cases is at 10:00 am.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, looks like to me that you can't use a trowel to turn over Turf.
But, you can use a narrow pronged instrument to turn over Turf.

That seems to me how I interpret this law/guideline, and it applies to the defintion of what Turf is.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jrlevers said:
i think they're trying to say don't f*ck up the grass.

in My opinion Don't turn over Turf Means,

when you Pop the turf to dig,
Make sure when your done the Turff is still Pointing up.

Don't point the grass Downword when you fill the hole
and leave a grasless spot showing :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread