State Game Lands rules

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
I sent an email tto inquire on metal detecting on Game Lands, this is the response I got. It is still a little unclear, to me, if it is allowed or not. #6 below seems to say we can't.

We do not have regulations regarding metal detecting, per se. However, there are several regulations regarding State Game Lands use that may prevent certain aspects. Also, as you will see from the SGL regs that follow, there are certain times of the year -- primarily the hunting seasons -- in which visitors to SGLs must wear the appropriate amount of blaze orange for obvious reasons

Here are the two sections of the Game Commission regulations that you need to be aware of:

§ 135.2. Unlawful actions.

In addition to the prohibitions in the act on lands, waters or buildings under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, it is unlawful, except with the permission of the person in charge of the lands, to:

(1) Camp or use campsites.

(2) Plant, gather, cut, dig, remove or otherwise injure plants or parts thereof, including trees, shrubs, vines, flowering plants, cultivated crops, mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants.

(3) Travel on lands by means of vehicle or conveyance propelled by motorized power. This prohibition does not include the travel by individuals permanently confined to a wheelchair propelled by electric power obtained from batteries. Individuals desiring to hunt from an electric powered wheelchair shall have a disabled person permit under section 2923 of the act (relating to disabled person permits).

(4) Swim in a dam, pond, lake or stream.

(5) Injure, destroy or cause damage to property-real, personal or mixed.

(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken during the open season. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

(7) Participate in, become a part of, contribute to or engage in disorderly conduct as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § § 5503 and 5505 (relating to disorderly conduct; and public drunkenness).

(8) Kindle, use or maintain an open fire.

(9) Travel on roads open to vehicular travel with vehicle or conveyance propelled by motorized power which is not licensed or authorized for operation on a public highway under 75 Pa.C.S. (relating to the Vehicle Code).

(10) Violate, fail or neglect to follow instructions posted on signs authorized by the Director.

(11) Travel by mechanical or motorized conveyance or ride animals on newly constructed, seeded or planted roads, or other areas, when posted against the travel.

§ 135.41. State game lands.

(a) Restrictions limited. The following exceptions to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) pertain to lands and waters designated as State game lands:

(1) Mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants may be picked.

(2) Small open fires for cooking or warming purposes are permitted only at places where adequate precautions are taken to prevent the spread of fire which may damage adjacent areas and shall be attended at all times and completely extinguished before leaving the site of the fire. Open fires are prohibited when the fire index rating used by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, is high, very high or extreme. A person causing a wildfire, in addition to possible criminal penalty, is liable for all damages, cost of extinguishing and fines.

(3) Snowmobiles, as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. § 7702 (relating to definitions) may be driven beginning on the third Sunday in January through April 1 on designated areas, roads and trails marked with appropriate signs, so long as snowmobiles are registered and display valid registration decal as required under 75 Pa.C.S. § § 7711.1 and 7711.2 (relating to registration of snowmobile or ATV; and limited registration of snowmobile or ATV).

(b) Closure of game lands.

(1) When the threat of forest fires exists, the Director has emergency authority to restrict the use of smoking materials on State game lands or to close State game lands to hunting, trapping, fishing, recreational use and other activity which may be or become detrimental to those lands or the flora or fauna thereon until the Director removes the restrictions. Emergency restrictions or closures will be announced to the news media.

(2) The Director has the authority to close State game lands or portions thereof, to recreational or other uses, when the specified uses may be or have become detrimental to those lands or the flora or fauna thereon, or where the uses conflict with legal hunting, furtaking or fishing activities or the Commission's management or administration of State game lands. The closure may be seasonal or year-round and shall remain in effect until the Director removes the restrictions.

(3) It is unlawful to violate restrictions or closure placed on these lands by the Director.

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:

(1) Contaminate, pollute or degrade groundwaters or surface waters or any waterways.

(2) Graze or permit the grazing of livestock, place or maintain beehives or beekeeping apparatus.

(3) Solicit, or place advertisements, signs or posters.

(4) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal, except on roads normally open to public travel, or designated routes as posted, or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

(5) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal from the last Saturday in September until the third Saturday in January, and before 1 p.m. from the second Saturday in April through the last Saturday in May inclusive, except on Sundays or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

(6) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal on roads open to foot travel only.

(7) Drive motor vehicles with or without attachments having a registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 12,000 pounds.

(8) Use boats propelled by a motor. Battery powered electric motors may be used on waterways unless posted otherwise.

(9) Consume, possess or transport any alcohol, liquor, beer, malt or brewed alcoholic beverage.

(10) Use or possess any controlled substance as defined or classified under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act (35 P. S. § § 780-101-780-143).

(11) Occupy, use or construct, place or maintain structures or other tangible property, except that portable hunting blinds or stands may be used, provided no visible damage is caused to trees.

(12) Feed wildlife or lay or place any food, fruit, hay, grain, chemical, salt or other minerals.

(13) Release domestic animals, captive bred or captive raised game or wildlife.

(14) Operate a motor vehicle in willful and wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property or in excess of posted speed limits, or where no speed limit is posted, in excess of 25 miles per hour.

(15) Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property, or on areas posted closed to those activities.

(16) Except as provided in Subchapter J (relating to shooting ranges), discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife.

(17) Engage in an activity or event involving more than ten persons, which may conflict with the intended purposes or uses as defined in section 722 of the act (relating to use of property), or poses a potential environmental or safety problem.

(18) Sell, distribute, deliver, service, guide or rent any equipment, material or commodity or otherwise transact or engage in any commercial activity. Commercial activity is any activity in which a person directly or indirectly accepts consideration of value as compensation for the provision of goods or services, including transportation.

(19) Use State game lands for any personal, organizational or commercial purpose other than the intended use as defined in section 722 of the act.

(20) Operate under authority of a contract, lease, agreement or permit and fail to abide by the terms and conditions contained in the contract, lease, agreement or permit.

(21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
I feel the small amount of detecting a person does on the game land is very very minimal.
I would detect on the game lands, in fact i have one spot I plan on going to this spring. Before or after spring Turkey not during.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
girardpaguy
I feel the same, however, on the game lands in this area there are tons of spots that would be nice to detect. I have the old maps and can point them out to you sometime. It was part of the old Moravian grant and takes up a large portion of the game lands. As you probaly know it was later owned by USX before being sold to the state. Seems like the state wants to own most of the shore line out here.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
Well they did not flat out say NO. Hmmmmm, i think I remember loosing that hunting knife.....

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
stewystarr

Funny you should mention USX......lol I hunt there (deer that is) and there is an old stone foundation there that i have been dieing to swing around. I'm sure there is a lot of junk there but you never know.

I e mailed you here yesterday, did you get it?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by This

"it is unlawful, except with the permission of the person in charge of the lands"

I would Guess
the Ranger in charge has the Authority to say Yes or no

In response to this

(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken during the open season. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

This letter was Circulted years ago by the F.M.D.A.C.

however nobody at the Game Commission
will Acknowledge it or who Mr. Schmit is or was

LastScane.jpg

If you have a hard time Reading it

"As I Mentioned over the Telephone,
we'll use discreation in persuing those
in violation of subsection "6".
The casual hobbyist who finds scattered
or occasional objects is not
violating the intent of this regulation.
we do, however, mean to curtail
organized or large scale digs of
historical sites, etc.
common sense should
guide us all this way."

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I was digging very near State Game Lands in the spring of '02, when I found a lumber camp on the game lands. It was still legal to dig on that land during that time. I had planned on digging there the following spring. I believe they passed the law against digging on State Game Lands in Feb. '03. I understand you may not remove anything man made from game lands such as bottles, relics, arrow heads, etc. And yet your letter is dated in May of '03, a couple months after the law was passed. Maybe this person was unsure of the law.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
girardpaguy, yes I got it. Spent all day yesterday fixing my broken detector and part of today. It's working now. Thats why I did not get back to you. Just let me know when you would like to get together, either to hunt, or share a couple of spots for future hunts.

As far as I can tell, They frown on detecting game lands but it is more to keep groups out and not individuals. I think I'll just use the hunting knife excuse if I decide to try. I think I might go on a little "Fact finding mission" out there tomorrow to locate a couple of likely spots. The area was first seteled, or used, in the late 1700's so the potential is there for some good old coins.

According to the old maps, there are quite a few old homes that were located there and I have personaly found cellar holes and foundations in and around the game lands. I won't put locations on this forum in case big brother might be watching.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while I Was on a Driving tour of
a state Game land Once I Brought it up,
while stopped at a Ghost town.

(This was somewhere around the Turn of the Century)

The Officer told me He would like to hunt it too.

Said Legally I Can detect , Dig up, look at,
And take a Picture of the find.

But I Gotta let it lay there so others can see it,
or rebury it after :tongue3:

When I Told him Flat-out "Yea Right" :D
It's going with me if it's a gold coin ;D

he laughed and said
"This is why if we see somone detecting
We tell them to pack-up and Leave" :wink:

sniffitout

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2007
Hey Guys:
Back in the late 80s,the game commission wanted to make sgl hunting and fishing only. No hiking,no nothing. A group of people,which I forget the name right now,said in essence ,if you want private hunting and fishing grounds ,instead of public land , the sglands should be taxed. I don't remember if it was a lawsuite or not ,but the game commission didn't want to pay taxes on there land,and the group won.I believe this was in 1987 or 1988. My local paper had run three or so articles about this. If your local library has newspapers or microfiche of that time frame you should look it up.

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023

Mike R. Schmit is listed as a deputy executive director.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.B. and Dylan said:

Mike R. Schmit is listed as a deputy executive director.

So I wonder who the Duane is that recieved the letter. Was he with the FMDAC? It would be nice to know if you carried the letter and stopped by a ranger to show him the letter and who each person is.

I'd say a deputy executive director is someone that would know the intention of the law.

Al

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
that sounds like a plan.....i'll just make a copy of that letter and when the ranger asks..my name is duane (it actually is my middle name..lol )

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7-18-2011

I asked the PA Game Commission today if I could detect the parking lot at the entrance to one of their game lands.
He told me that I could not as the law states such cannot be done in Pa Game Lands.
So is the parking lot considered part of the game lands?
To me that seems kind of harsh.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilFisher said:
7-18-2011

I asked the PA Game Commission today if I could detect the parking lot at the entrance to one of their game lands.
He told me that I could not as the law states such cannot be done in Pa Game Lands.
So is the parking lot considered part of the game lands?
To me that seems kind of harsh.

I would have thought the parking lot was the one spot
they could all agree, was ok to hunt.

the locked gate & signs, are at the end of most
parking lots

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He didnt seem like the sharpest tool in the shed btw.

As well, I joined the FMDAC this week because of this, and notified them of this.
We need to jump on the bandwagon and join and petition in numbers. That's the only way to get anything done in Pa.

As well, I sent an email asking about State Forest Land to DCNR and heard nothing back yet on their take on it all as I found some nice sites on State Forest Land
and DCNR managed property (I assume DCNR and State Forest are the same agency?).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread