Legionville...a good prospect maybe. (Update pics added 9-20-2010)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of you locals talking about Braddock's campaign and finding civil war stuff.....ever think of Legionville?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionville

http://www.legionville.com/LOGSTOWN.htm

It's been a few years since I've been past it but I detected there quite a few years back. There was some sort of excavation going on there then, back in the early 80's. I think they were archies. I found some trash and part of a buckle I thought was trash...

But looking at google earth, it still looks like a lot of detectable area. Flat, easy access, safe...unlike Braddock where you have to be armed...

The property seems to be in a state of flux with ownership. Some want to preserve it but a developer owns it and wants big bucks to sell it.

Just a thought but this could be a good place to meet up with a few folks on a weekend.

Al

I forgot to mention, the creek bed right next to it is quite a steep drop. I wondered how much trash or used stuff got tossed over the bank. Would seem like a logical desposal site for that many people. The hillside looking down to the creek, next to where it's bulldozed, is full of posion ivy and other assorted dense shrubs. Could be some good detecting maybe but would be a challenge for even the most agile. JMO.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was visiting a friend Saturday that lives in the vicinity so I swung by to see what Legionville looks like now.

I tried detecting this back in the early 80's and it's changed a whole lot since then. There was an archeology dig going on and they were probably 4' deep, while I was detecting with an old TR that was probably going about 6".

Most of the field is gone now with businesses having been built, parking lots, etc. A new sign is up showing what the old military camp looked like and the cemetary (I don't remember seeing it back then) has been restored somewhat...but not the old military graves.

Someone put out a plea to write to the Governor to preserve what is left. http://www.nwta.com/couriers/6-96/sitetrou.html

A swath of ground has been recently bulldozed right next to the creek, from Rt.65 back to the old RR tracks. An area about 60'-80' wide by maybe 150' long. There is a highway use permit posted along with a corner property marker.
The person in the link claims to have looked after it was dozed and found a colonial firepit with pieces of cow bone, fish bone, hand-wrought nails, porcelain, china and an arrowhead. Doesn't sound like he had a detector.

The ground in the bulldozed area is very sandy. That means to me that flood silt covers it somewhat. Should be easy digging but a good chance things will be deep under the silt build-up. There's a place to park right next to the cemetary, which is across the street from Sheet's convenience store.
Don't know if I'll get back to it or not or how much longer before anyone gets in there and starts building or closing it off for historic reasons...but for now....this could be a good place to kick up some CW stuff. According to the links author, it was just dozed back in July.

Pics are labled...

Al

Attachments

• Sign1.jpg
    Sign1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 209
  • bulldozed.jpg
    bulldozed.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 203
  • bulldozed2.jpg
    bulldozed2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 196
  • bulldozed area.jpg
    bulldozed area.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Hill Cemetary.jpg
    Hill Cemetary.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 216
  • panorama1.jpg
    panorama1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 208
  • panorama2.jpg
    panorama2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Sign1.jpg
    Sign1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 188
  • pic description.jpg
    pic description.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Sign1.jpg
    Sign1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 210
  • Sign3.jpg
    Sign3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 203
  • hwy marker.jpg
    hwy marker.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 208
  • older rr tracks.jpg
    older rr tracks.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gave this site a few good hours last Saturday. What a HUGE disappointment!

SLAG, SLAG, SLAG!

Honestly, is there anywhere the mills didn't dispose of there crap that has history to it in these areas.

I know slag was a cheap, if not free fill around here, but holy cow! I'm guessing when they built Rt.65, they probably used their share of it.

Figured I'd give the creek bed a shot. Carefully climbed down the steep bank and hit the few open areas not crowded out by shrubs and trees. More chunks of slag.

This site is officially a dud to me. Maybe if someone got the patience to weed through all the slag and debris....I wish you luck.

Al

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Al,
Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking into that bulldozed site! I noticed it a couple months back and thought, "Hmmm."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread