Welsh Mountain...Lets go!

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have been doing alot of research on Welsh Mountain down by Morgantown. It has a very interesting past! From the 1860s to about the 1920's it was a haven for the most notorious group of cut-throats this area has ever seen. Horse thieves, murderers, train robbers, and every other concievable criminal lived on this mountain. I bet they must have some loot up there. Also, in the 1870's there is the tale of the "Wildman", a man who lived in isolation on the mountain for 50 years. He never shaved and never wore clothes. He was captured in 1871 but escaped and never seen again. In the 1880's there lived a black hermit who made baskets and sold them in Morgantown. He was found dead in his little cabin. What did he do with the money he made? There was also a "colored camp" there in the 1890s and a religous rival camp in the 1930's. There is supposed to be numerous caves in the side of the mountain. Google Earth does show developement there but also shows lots of forest. Whos up for an expedition??!!

Don
Reading, PA :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I think I may have pinpointed the location of the outlaw's homesteads within a 1/2 mile.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these weekends I could, who owns the property?

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
lawsonland said:
One of these weekends I could, who owns the property?

If it is private property, permission will need to be obtained first. Depending upon the weekend, I could go.

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here it is on Google Earth

Attachments

• Welsh Mt.jpg
    Welsh Mt.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 1,464
OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm 15 min north, I believe its state land. One thing thats scary is that in 03 and 05 there were mountain lion sightings. Anyone have a :laughing7: sidearm?

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Yes I am licensed to carry and have weapons.
I have lived and been in the area all my life and yes
There are mtn. Lions but no reports of problems with humans.

I skydived at Morgantown Airport for years and got a good idea of
The layout from the sky. I think a scouting/permission mission is in order
Before hand.
What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, to be honest, I usually plead ignorance and beg for forgiveness.......but if there is someone to contact I guess we should. It certainly isn't developed and I believe the state owns the land. How can we find out? I think in a couple of more weeks the vegatation and bugs will die down. I'm using the Ace 250 and looking now to buy the bigger coil to go deeper.

I flew with the US Navy out of NAS Willow Grove and have flown over the area many times and often wondered what that area was all about.

Don

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Hmmmmmmm, if it's state land we are okay most likely. Doesn't hurt to be safe tho.
I am not seeing exactly where on your map post?
Have you driven by? Since your research?
If not it's time. We should get together detectors in hand and check the area out.
I am retired so I am kind of free.
Roger

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am retired from the Navy and currently laid-off so I have the time. I'll try to post a better map. It only shows the southeastern most tip in the lower right. In one of the articles in the Reading eagle the author describes his route up the mountain from New Holland. He says they took the turnpike to the road leading up the mountain and was 3 miles from New Holland. The tip of the mountain on the map is 3 miles. I have not been there personally yet and am eager to go. I'm just south of Reading and easily 15 min away.

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Better View

Attachments

• Welsh Mt.jpg
    Welsh Mt.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,697
  • Welsh Mt.jpg
    Welsh Mt.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Welsh Mt.jpg
    Welsh Mt.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 838

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
I am in Downingtown and no more then 15-20 minutes from Morgantown.
Let's make it a week day for the first hunt or info gathering as less traveled.

Are the state lands also his homestead site?

Roger

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
dmac730 said:
I am retired from the Navy and currently laid-off so I have the time. I'll try to post a better map. It only shows the southeastern most tip in the lower right. In one of the articles in the Reading eagle the author describes his route up the mountain from New Holland. He says they took the turnpike to the road leading up the mountain and was 3 miles from New Holland. The tip of the mountain on the map is 3 miles. I have not been there personally yet and am eager to go. I'm just south of Reading and easily 15 min away.

From the article, that route was for the negro gang. They were dirt poor and it is unlikely that anything of much value can be found there, although one never can tell. Detecting around any land that was used by the Buzzard gang would probably be more fruitful.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about 15 min. south as well. Lived in Chester county my whole life. Always heard stories growing up of caches in those areas. A couple different local gangs were know to frequent a few places around here. A few places around Coatesville as well. Rogerm069, where are you located? I am on Rt.82 near Guthriesville. Have a couple local buddies I go out with MDing. I'd be intrested in checking it out as well. As far as I know it's not posted. I would concentrate on the ridge personally.

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The Buzzard gang lived just past the negro gangs, not sure of the distance but could'nt be too far if you read the newspaper narrative. Shall we wait for the bugs to die off? I'm ready for a recon trip if anyone wants to meet up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread