pennsylvania indian caves

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Just wondering if anyone has any information or links to possible uncharted caves in Pennsylvania. I've come across several mentions of them on various websites, but none offered specific information on their location. In particular, I'm interested in finding out more about the legendary lost indian gold mine and burial caves that are supposedly located somewhere in the St. Anthony's Wilderness area of Lebanon/Dauphin county.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Not Talking Gold Mine Mountain, for the Gold Mine are you ?

IF you are, I found Mention Years ago,
A woman Owned All the Land in that area.
She was a Con artist.
In order to Sell the Land at a Profit,
She Spread a Rumor of Gold.

There are Caves that were used for Refuge by the Inhabitants of
Northern Lebanon County, along the Swatara Creek, Near Harpers Tavern. along Yordy's Bridge Road. Still trying to Pinpoint them.

There is a Cave in Dauphin County South of Lykens along Glenn Road But it's Only goes in maby 50 Feet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 2 SILVER MINES, along 72, one in swatara state park.
one above 72 in the area where Interstate 81 crosses over the TOP of 72.
I'v seen the one in Swatara State Park. Looks VERY Deep.

There were Gold Mines in South Eastern Lebanon / Western Berks, counties
that were Flooded out During the Flood of 72 (Hurricane Agnes)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the "RED HOLE" where the Indians Retreated after Attacks
on the Inhabitants During the French & Indian War, is in schuylkill County. N.E. Of Pine Grove. South of Branch Dale. in The BLACKWOOD Area. No Caves in there that I'm aware.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also on Gold Mine Mountain, St. Anthony's Wilderness, Lebanon county,

the High Rocks, aka Point of Rocks, aka Boxcar Rocks aka Chinese wall.

A Very long Very High Line of Conglamerate Rocks, (3 mile long ? ) Rocks as large as a Boxcar stacked in line & on top of each other. Some 4 times as big as a Boxcar. that look like a
Man Built wall, But would have been Impossable.

the Indians considered it Holy. They Buried around it, They used it for look out, & Smoke signals to attacking Parties during the French & Indian Wars. There are Caves there, but I don't know the history of the caves.

Red Line Is Area of High Rocks & Caves

Attachments

• bigmap.jpg
    bigmap.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 6,487

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_3317.jpg
    100_3317.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3,184
  • ChineseWall.jpg
    ChineseWall.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,641
OP
OP
Z

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Awesome info, I'll be sure to look into it. I've been to the Chinese Wall several times, havent located any caves nearby though. But for anyone interested, if you climb to the top of the rocks, you will see one of the most spectacular views ever, on a clear day, you can see about 5 mountain ranges, and the Lebanon Reservoir down below. It's easy to see why the natives would consider it holy ground.

Any chance you can be more specific about the cave at Swatara State Park? I've been there a few times and its a pretty vast area. I'm interested in any kind of cave, whether it was inhabited or not, so thanks again for the info and hopefully you'll post any more local info that you happen to stumble upon.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zendog64 said:
Any chance you can be more specific about the cave at Swatara State Park? I've been there a few times and its a pretty vast area. I'm interested in any kind of cave, whether it was inhabited or not, so thanks again for the info and hopefully you'll post any more local info that you happen to stumble upon.

Ok, if you go in by crossing the Bridge Under the Interstate Bridge
at Inwood Station. and head left on the Old state road. watch to your right.
it is Approxametly one quarter to one half mile.
Very hard to see out the Corner of your eye while Driving.
it would be a Help to have a Passenger with to keep looking as you drive.

I'm not sure if it's a Natural Cave or Man made. Almost reminds
me of an Airhole for a Deepmine, but I was told it's the "old
Silver Mine". by someone who lived back there, before the state bought
everyone out, and made it a state park.

Supposedly Slot machines have been Dropped in it back in the 40's
with the coins still in them.
But Entering it ? I'd be Scared Silly, & not too much scares me.
as it's not a Straight in, it's a \ type cave or mine,
But if it's Man-made, it's Carved through solid rock.
The same Guy who told me about this one, said straight accross
72 on the TOP of the mountain, is a cave large enough to walk in.

I have Never seen the Caves at HIGH ROCKS Either. But
Are supposed to be out at the end towards Pine Grove somewhere.

The site Should be Marked by Camp fires,
as the atv's spend time there from what I'v been told.
IF your Standing Below the "TEE-PEE" facing Tower City,
and you walk straight, Cross the Dirt Road, and Keep walking
There are Pit Caves. Not sure if they are Mine Subsidence, of Actual caves. I should say "Were" . I havn't seen them since I was 17

You have been to High Rocks, So you Know the "WALES HEAD" ?
an Indian is Supposedly Buried under it.
Exactly what "Under" Means I'm not sure, But they Didn't Dig through
Conglomerate.

OP
OP
Z

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks for the directions. I believe the pit caves you mentioned by tower city are mining related. I've mountainbiked in that area dozens of times, and if we're talking about the same area, it looks like old coal mining strip pits. From what I understand, most natural caves are caused by the erosion of underground limestone, so theoretically you would find rocks such as limestone, dolomite, and calcite nearby. But since this is a treasure hunting forum, I should point out that some of my best finds were at the bottoms of coal mining stripping pits. Many of them were used as dumping grounds back in the early 1900's. I've collected dozens of old bottles from stripping pits, as well as other junk that probably has no monetary value, but interesting finds nonetheless.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zendog64 said:
Thanks for the directions. I believe the pit caves you mentioned by tower city are mining related. I've mountainbiked in that area dozens of times, and if we're talking about the same area, it looks like old coal mining strip pits. From what I understand, most natural caves are caused by the erosion of underground limestone, so theoretically you would find rocks such as limestone, dolomite, and calcite nearby. But since this is a treasure hunting forum, I should point out that some of my best finds were at the bottoms of coal mining stripping pits. Many of them were used as dumping grounds back in the early 1900's. I've collected dozens of old bottles from stripping pits, as well as other junk that probably has no monetary value, but interesting finds nonetheless.

Yea I agree with you on Stripping pits.
Anyone with Divers Training, could make out great in some of the water filled pits around also.

from what I know Burt Webber (of Concepcion Fame) began by recovering sunken slot machines from Quarries in Annville (his hometown)
My Uncle used to do it around here.

Where are you from Zendog ?
Lebanon, Dauphin, or Schuylkill county ?

OP
OP
Z

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I live right outside Harrisburg at the moment, but I was born and raised in the coal regions (near Shamokin and Pottsville). I'm a bit of a local history buff, I love hearing about everything from ghost stories to hidden treasure pertaining to central PA, and I guess you can say I'm an all-around "adventurer". Lived for a few years up in Williamsport too, which also has some great local history and legends.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zendog64 said:
I live right outside Harrisburg at the moment, but I was born and raised in the coal regions (near Shamokin and Pottsville). I'm a bit of a local history buff, I love hearing about everything from ghost stories to hidden treasure pertaining to central PA, and I guess you can say I'm an all-around "adventurer". Lived for a few years up in Williamsport too, which also has some great local history and legends.

All great areas for sure 8)

Your Probably Familiar with this too then :P :P :P ;D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,7104.0.html

OP
OP
Z

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Sweet! I've heard stories about that crash all my life, but I've never actually been to the crash site. Everyone has always told me all the good stuff has been found already, but its awesome to see that there are still items being found there. Awesome finds though, that is so cool!

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
not to butt in on the conversation....but have you ever heard of a cave in the reading, pa area? I understand a cache of artifacts were found in a cave on the Titus Powerplant property outside of reading when it was built. I understand these artifacts were donated to the reading museum. Whether there is any truth to this legend or not, I don't know. The whole area around there was heavily populated by native americans.
I am originally from chester county, pa. and all my old arrowhead sites are now developements, so I am looking for new sites in my new locale in berks county.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Justine, I never heard of This,
But i'm checking with a Friend from Berks County.

Check back.

Jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justine093

There is a rock shelter at Indian Hollow along the Scuylkill River at Poplar Neck ( It's below Reading - Neversink Mountain )

A broken indian pot and portions of an infants scull were found in 1935

A man with the Reading Museum Staff did considerable archeological investigation in this area

it's a "shelter", not a cave

could this be it ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DOC, Hopefully Someone here is Familiar with that area of PA

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
Jeff,

do you think you can get me a more exact location of Indian hollow along the schuylkill in reading??? (I figured it was a shelter rather than a cave...this area is not too great for cave material...go north or south and bingo...but not here.) I would love to tromp around there for sure!
According to a book I have from the 1850's, the poplar neck area was densly inhabited by native americans....I have a list of other places to arrowhead hunt in berks, if you or your friend could supply some additional spots or places I could look for information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another post on this topic has been mining in the montgomery, chester county areas. Mines for lead, silver and other things are scattered throghout the area. There are lead, silver, graphite and open pit iron mines all over the Phoenixville Pa. area. I have been mineral collecting at several (pyromorphite from the phoenixville mine is worth quite a bit on money). There are also great fossil fern sites in Phoenixville (also what used to be some great arrowhead grounds before it was turned into a developement 2 years ago)

there has been talk of re-opening the port kennedy bone cave in valley forge national park. The cave was found in a quarry and had quite a bit of bone matter from extinct and some previously unknown animals. Word is they have relocated the bone cave, but there is some speculation to that since there was also a seperate cave in the same quarry. Tthe quarry in question was filled with sludge near the turn of the century (last century) and it probably lays under a couple feet of muck turned to dirt!

thanks for any information, and if i can supply any helpful information on my part, please let me know.

-justine

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll ask, and will Post what I hear this evening.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread