Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooooo old thread. Getting ready to do some test panning at Hell run and Slippery rock creek today. Rumor has it that there has been some sub-100 mesh found in the area, and allegedly some gemstone
This is ofcourse all anecdotal and hear-say. If i have any luck I'll post my results.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooooo old thread. Getting ready to do some test panning at Hell run and Slippery rock creek today. Rumor has it that there has been some sub-100 mesh found in the area, and allegedly some gemstone
This is ofcourse all anecdotal and hear-say. If i have any luck I'll post my results.
Thanks. Yes, it's an old thread but I'm still paying attention to it, and I'd love to see your results! Good luck!
- Brian

BustedShovel

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late on the results lol. Didn't find any color, but i did find a few smaller garnet shards and some black sand. I only panned for about a half hour because im a dummy and forgot my panning gloves and that water is hand numbing. Plenty of fishy looking spots to get a shovel into for some more test panning.

NCprospector

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late on the results lol. Didn't find any color, but i did find a few smaller garnet shards and some black sand. I only panned for about a half hour because im a dummy and forgot my panning gloves and that water is hand numbing. Plenty of fishy looking spots to get a shovel into for some more test panning.

Wow I can’t believe this post is still here... it’s been a while since I posted and checked the forum. I have found gold in the Hell run. Best gold is up by the parking lot off of Shaffer Rd. Right next to the lot the creek is loaded with vanport limestone bedrock, and the cracks are wonderful little gold catchers. Bring a hand gold dredge and a pan. Found some decent pieces in those cracks, as well as a mercury dime once. Let me know next time you plan to check it out, and I can meet you there.

Rich

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there could be a few places down stream from Eckert Bridge that could be interesting.

dawnhvr

Sep 5, 2013
I live very close to the mill and I have panned my small creek. Few gold flecks found. Not worth keeping. Never found anything big. Found gold veins in quartz though

BustedShovel

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing. Was kicking around the idea of parking down by the Harris bridge and doing a little crevicing this weekend, maybe some sluicing if im feeling like a little bit of self abuse. Theres a ton of big cracks in the rock that are filled up to the brim with material that are begging to be scraped out.

Ill post up some results if i end up making it, provided the water level isnt sky high.

BustedShovel

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, had a positive result. Found one small flake. However it took about 20 pans to find it. I dug around on some crevices and sandstone pockets. Decent amount of black sand and some garnet shards. Will definitely need a mini hand suction dredge to really clean out the crevices, but there is gold there. Apologies for the blurry pic, 20200718_124613.jpg

Lofreco

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2011
Cumming, GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark and Compadre Metal Detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, there is gold here in SW PA. We are doing another trip to the creek this Sunday Sept 6 2020. Text me if you want to join us.
John
412-495-0734

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yes, there is gold here in SW PA. We are doing another trip to the creek this Sunday Sept 6 2020. Text me if you want to join us.
John
412-495-0734

I just saw this post this morning (Sept 8). Any success on Sunday?

JDprospecting

Feb 6, 2024
Wow I can’t believe this post is still here... it’s been a while since I posted and checked the forum. I have found gold in the Hell run. Best gold is up by the parking lot off of Shaffer Rd. Right next to the lot the creek is loaded with vanport limestone bedrock, and the cracks are wonderful little gold catchers. Bring a hand gold dredge and a pan. Found some decent pieces in those cracks, as well as a mercury dime once. Let me know next time you plan to check it out, and I can meet you there.

Rich
I would love to meet with ya man, send me an email! [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread