Pennsylvania Ghost Towns - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Pennsylvania Ghost Towns

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2007
    Northeastern PA
    F-75, Fisher 1280x, Explorer II, DFX, V3i, XP Deus
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    My letter also specifically states the ghost town of Landrus and they said "No". Which, is what this thread is discussing, right?! I would think the state would consider all ghost towns "historical" and not allow detecting. I just don't want to see anyone get pinched for detecting where they shouldn't be. I'd still like to see the language stating your are allowed to detect that "... was confirmed early last year, by the DCNR."
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    HH - Bodkin55

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    104 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think mikhen and you were on different pages with your thoughts. He is right on what he was referring to, but yes the thread was directed at ghost Towns. If you visit the DCNR site you can find the rules on metal detecting....it is what the second page you have states.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Rick

May 2012
    Butler, Pa
    Whites Classic Whites Classic II Garrett AT Pro
    254 times
    I've been visiting Forest county for over 40 yrs and love the history of the area. I have quite a few history books on county as well as Butler County. There are plenty of ghost sawmill towns and others throughout forest county. Sure would like to hunt at one of the ccc camp sites or prisoner of war sites.. lol One can dream ! Found a lone stone fireplace in the ANF a few years back. Just cross country hiking. No roads nearby. What looks to be an old logging railroad bed and a stream 10 yds from the old cabin site. Remnants of blue/white china, a pot belly stove,wrought iron bed, ect are there. Would love to go there... but, the legality of it is in question.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    I can find everything but my car keys and the tv remote !

us
    Jan 2011
    Oley, Berks County, Pa
    Ace 250
    14 times
    This is the response I got when I asked for clarification on the original info the DCNR gave me. This has nothing to do with ghost towns, but here it is.

Mike,

I will answer to the best of my ability. We all know laws+confusing never go
    together right!

-You do not need a permit for regular exploration/ use of a detector on regular
    state forest land. However, if you are seeking certain objects that have
    historical significance (bullets, mining, logging debris) you would need a
    permit. What if you just came across something? I don't know the answer to that.

Each district is responsible for enforcing and interpreting the rules. I would
    recommend contacting District 18, and talking to a DCNR Ranger. He would
    probably have experience with this, and could give you a slightly clearer
    interpretation.

Rick Hartlieb | Forester
    Department of Conservation & Natural Resources
    Bureau of Forestry | William Penn Forest District
    845 Park Rd. | Elverson, PA 19520
    Phone: (610)582-9664 | Fax: (610)582-9692
    www.dcnr.state.pa.us | www.iConservePA.org
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Northeastern PA
    F-75, Fisher 1280x, Explorer II, DFX, V3i, XP Deus
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhen View Post
    This is the response I got when I asked for clarification on the original info the DCNR gave me. This has nothing to do with ghost towns, but here it is.

Mike,

I will answer to the best of my ability. We all know laws+confusing never go
    together right!

-You do not need a permit for regular exploration/ use of a detector on regular
    state forest land. However, if you are seeking certain objects that have
    historical significance (bullets, mining, logging debris) you would need a
    permit. What if you just came across something? I don't know the answer to that.

Each district is responsible for enforcing and interpreting the rules. I would
    recommend contacting District 18, and talking to a DCNR Ranger. He would
    probably have experience with this, and could give you a slightly clearer
    interpretation.

Rick Hartlieb | Forester
    Department of Conservation & Natural Resources
    Bureau of Forestry | William Penn Forest District
    845 Park Rd. | Elverson, PA 19520
    Phone: (610)582-9664 | Fax: (610)582-9692
    www.dcnr.state.pa.us | www.iConservePA.org
    Okay, I understand where you are coming from. I think his statement "Each district is responsible for enforcing and interpreting the rules." about sums it up. In all fairness, the DCNR did not make the call in my case the Historical & Museum Commission did. Since it was specific to Landrus I thought I'd share the determination that I received. I was hoping there was somewhere with updated information that I could go and read. I'd love to be proven wrong here and have things work in our favor for a change... not the case.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    HH - Bodkin55

us
    Mar 2012
    Ohio
    White's V3i & DFX
    36 times
    Metal Detecting
    All,

I have hunted SFL and game lands for 40 years (in many parts of the state, but mostly in north central), never have I had been asked to leave or told it was not permitted. The thing that stands out in almost every thread I read on this is individual areas interprets the regs differently. Also, whenever the state historical folks are asked it is always no. I would point out that just because a settlement or town was there does not make is a historical site. It must be a declared historical site. Foresters or the historical folks can’t just say this area or that area is. With that said, of course all declared sites are off limits.

Personally, I never ask permission to hunt on state land such as forests, game or parks. I never been ask to leave in all the years I’ve been Mding. It is a right you have, you don't need someones permission to use the SFL.

Should I be approached, I would point out that there is NO regulation against it and if they claim there is I would ask to see it. I would also point out no more harm is done than any other activity done on forest lands. I would honor their request and leave, but not without first letting them know how much MD’ers clean up & support them through taxes and spending money in their local area.

I have search the regulations many time and there is nothing saying it is against the rules. They are online. You can google them.

Now, you need to use some common sense, I don’t hunt during times of heavy use. In fact many times I have been helped by the forester or ranger.
    Last edited by DirtDodger; May 29, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Rick

May 2012
    Butler, Pa
    Whites Classic Whites Classic II Garrett AT Pro
    254 times
    I've been reading more on Pithole. Just read a book on it today ! Couldn't put it down for the life of me. The reason for the mowed areas of the Pithole site is that they are where the streets were. Walking the area and reading the signs at the locations of a store,saloon or hotel. We stopped by there on the way home from camp last year. A nice tour through history. A town of 15,000 for only a couple years. Even John Wilkes Booth had interests there, as well as Franklin,Pa.
    Here's some useless info. It took 800 deer per month from the surrounding counties to help feed the people at Pithole.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    I can find everything but my car keys and the tv remote !

us
    Jules

May 2014
    Chester County, Pennsylvania
    F2
    55 times
    Look how many are not near me. This happens a lot but I don't mind.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Rocks rock

Oct 2012
    16 times
    That is a lot of deer!
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jan 2020
    PA - Pennsylvania
    Minelab Vanquish 540 Nokta Makro Simplex Garrett Ace 400
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    Has anyone ever detected at Masten,PA? Is it worth checking it out?

Jun 2007
    14219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goochas View Post
    Very cool book indeed.

You can cross the Ephrata Cloister in Lancaster County off your list. It is very much alive and well, complete with a museum, tours, gift shop, and yes, a fee to enter. Well worth the money, but your metal detector won't have a prayer of making it out of the parking lot!
    Yes it is; BEEN THERE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links