DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All,

I have hunted SFL and game lands for 40 years (in many parts of the state, but mostly in north central), never have I had been asked to leave or told it was not permitted. The thing that stands out in almost every thread I read on this is individual areas interprets the regs differently. Also, whenever the state historical folks are asked it is always no. I would point out that just because a settlement or town was there does not make is a historical site. It must be a declared historical site. Foresters or the historical folks can’t just say this area or that area is. With that said, of course all declared sites are off limits.

Personally, I never ask permission to hunt on state land such as forests, game or parks. I never been ask to leave in all the years I’ve been Mding. It is a right you have, you don't need someones permission to use the SFL.

Should I be approached, I would point out that there is NO regulation against it and if they claim there is I would ask to see it. I would also point out no more harm is done than any other activity done on forest lands. I would honor their request and leave, but not without first letting them know how much MD’ers clean up & support them through taxes and spending money in their local area.

I have search the regulations many time and there is nothing saying it is against the rules. They are online. You can google them.

Now, you need to use some common sense, I don’t hunt during times of heavy use. In fact many times I have been helped by the forester or ranger.

Last edited:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading more on Pithole. Just read a book on it today ! Couldn't put it down for the life of me. The reason for the mowed areas of the Pithole site is that they are where the streets were. Walking the area and reading the signs at the locations of a store,saloon or hotel. We stopped by there on the way home from camp last year. A nice tour through history. A town of 15,000 for only a couple years. Even John Wilkes Booth had interests there, as well as Franklin,Pa.
Here's some useless info. It took 800 deer per month from the surrounding counties to help feed the people at Pithole.

ugly_plugs

Jan 30, 2020
PA - Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Nokta Makro Simplex
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever detected at Masten,PA? Is it worth checking it out?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Very cool book indeed.

You can cross the Ephrata Cloister in Lancaster County off your list. It is very much alive and well, complete with a museum, tours, gift shop, and yes, a fee to enter. Well worth the money, but your metal detector won't have a prayer of making it out of the parking lot!
Yes it is; BEEN THERE!:icon_thumleft::coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread