Presque Isle, Erie Pa.

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
I went to college in Erie, Presque Isle is a great time as long as you don't want to swim :-X I don't know which would be better the Lake side or the Bay side. My gut would tell me the Lake side would be better for stuff people dropped because more people go to those beaches, but the bay side might have more interesting trash because everything that has been dumped in the bay over the years. I for one will be interested to see what you find!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Warren, Pete. I've been thinking about hitting Presque Isle some time with my DFX.

I do know that there's been alot of beach closings due to high bacteria counts. :(

Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck! :)

OP
OP
P

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
Hi Mona Lisa,
Yes there have been a lot of beach closings. We went last weekend and all the beaches were open although we were a little disappointed as the life guard wouldn't let us detect in the water, she said we could only do it when they weren't on duty! That makes a lot of sense. All we found was 2 pennys one was a 2000 and the other was so corroded that I haven't been able to identify it yet. If any one has any cleaning tips for copper I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete_ East pier is where we always used to go fishing when I was a kid. People were always having picinics there. Any of the fishing piers would work. However East and West pier are sand or atleast they used to be. no life guards to mess with. The end of north pier is a beach as well that seemed to always be crowded. I hope everything worked out for you.

Moving to Bradford, Pa new ground to hunt there. I hope this new job allows me to go more than I do now. I love the north. I would go there again. Not to far of a drive.

dogbit

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2004
Hey Mona Lisa, My brother lives near Warren in Clarendon. Him and his wife work at the state hospital. Do you do any water hunting up there? I've wanted to detect Chapman dam's swimming hole and hit some of the swimming areas on the reservoir. Also, last summer, I had pemission to hunt at Wildcat park but never made it there. They were tearing down a grandstand or bleacher area that had been built in the 1920's. I don't know if they rebuilt or if it's still open. Might be something for you to look into. Hopefully I'll get some detecting time in up there before Memorial day on the beaches. HH, Craig

OP
OP
P

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
fjudd94 said:
Pete_ East pier is where we always used to go fishing when I was a kid. People were always having picinics there. Any of the fishing piers would work. However East and West pier are sand or atleast they used to be. no life guards to mess with. The end of north pier is a beach as well that seemed to always be crowded. I hope everything worked out for you.

Moving to Bradford, Pa new ground to hunt there. I hope this new job allows me to go more than I do now. I love the north. I would go there again. Not to far of a drive.

Thanks for the info, maybe you can get up this way and MD some time.
Pete

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(circa 1930s) Erie PA - Presque Isle State Park

zz.jpg

1908 Presque Isle-Anthony Wayne-Block House

z.jpg

1935 On Presque Isle Erie PA

zzz.jpg

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted Presque Isle a few times, found the normal clad. The problem with the beaches is that during the winter storms the sand is washed away and in the spring they haul in new sand to replenish the beaches. There are many picinic areas and some inland places that would be worth checking. The beaches would be good after the 4th or the end of summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread