Dying towns of the coal regions

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I came across this recent (08/10/11) article while doing some treasure hunting research. It is amazing to see the percentage of vacant properties in some of these towns. Most of these homes when they were new were well built with quality materials and are now being left to rot.

On a lighter note I would love to have access to metal detect and dig privies, there must be an amazing amount of treasure just waiting to be found.

http://schuylkillcounty.wnep.com/news/news/61924-coal-region-ghost-towns

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'd love my town. Mostly erected in the mid 1800's...no bathrooms OR kitchens. Even my yard has a dent in the ground where one of the relatives of the original owner told me the outhouse was. Some big junk in the house next to mine..hard ringing copper on my machine but too deep to dig with a knife.

There was a couple guys that got permission to dig a privy from one of my coworkers that lives in the same town. Don't think they found anything. Lots of abandonded properties in this craphole town. But I think you'd have a field day with the priveys. Kitchen areas just a bonus.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread