Thank you in PA Dutch?

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Bedankt is a Dutch equivalent of 'Thank you'. Dank je or Dank u may be other equivalents. The word 'u' is much more respectful than the word 'je'. For example, a child says 'Dank u' to an adult

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dank je Pronounced Donka

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Thank you guys! My grandpa is suffering from Parkinsons and dementia and he says a lot of things in PA Dutch. I couldn't think of a better thing to say to him for everything he's done for me.

Thanks again!!!!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to get a German dictionary. A basic one - that would probably help you - Pa Dutch, of course, is Pennsylvania Deutsch, he would probably enjoy you talking to him that way, once in awhile.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Beth

AmishAndy

Aug 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To say thank you in PA Dutch or German, you say Deng_je pronounced as Deng_yay for an English speaker. You can use this link to order a small PA Dutch/German dictionary with the correct spelling, Etc.

Revised Pennsylvania German Dictionary: English to Pennsylvania Dutch
Revised Pennsylvania German Dictionary: English to Pennsylvania Dutch by C Richard Beam - Paperback - 2002 - from Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society Book and Museum Store and Biblio.com

P.S.
Many dictionaries and various books and writings in our dialect can be found on the internet, for more information feel free to contact me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions