alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J.Cache said:
Welcome to the hobby, it's addicting! The A.T. Pro is a great machine, I have one too. I remember times of being frustrated when I started detecting, but looking back I realize that learning and figuring things out was half the fun! It's like learning to play guitar, or doing a puzzle--seems difficult until you have a 'eureka moment' when something clicks. My advice is this: dig lots of targets, even the ones that sound like crap, and remove all junk targets and put them in the trash so you don't find them next time you detect that same spot!

hey i wondered does everyone take shovels how does one carry everything. thanks for advice.. what should i be taking with me.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Alan.

Detecting is so much fun you can enjoy by yourself.

But is more fun with a buddy or two.

OP
OP
alanford1958

alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all your advice, one more question. What is your standard equiptment to carry along and use? Thanks

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alanford1958 said:
J.Cache said:
Welcome to the hobby, it's addicting! The A.T. Pro is a great machine, I have one too. I remember times of being frustrated when I started detecting, but looking back I realize that learning and figuring things out was half the fun! It's like learning to play guitar, or doing a puzzle--seems difficult until you have a 'eureka moment' when something clicks. My advice is this: dig lots of targets, even the ones that sound like crap, and remove all junk targets and put them in the trash so you don't find them next time you detect that same spot!

hey i wondered does everyone take shovels how does one carry everything. thanks for advice.. what should i be taking with me.

I usually just take my leather work gloves, small digger, propointer (with belt holster) and small towel. Never use a full size shovel unless you are way out in the middle of nowhere. Even in empty lots, people do not like to see us with big shovels. I use the small towel to put my dirt plug on, and easily pour any loose dirt back into the hole after the target is retrieved. I usually put the junk I find into my back pocket, then when it's full I dump it into the trash. Sounds funny, but it works for me lol.

If I go way out into the wilderness, I take a backpack with bottled water, batteries, snacks, Swiss army knife, bandaids etc.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to carry a black "contractors grade" trash bag with me. As I detect I carry the bag in my non-detector hand. When I locate a target, I spread the bag out next to the area of the hole and place the soil/plug on the bag. After I find the target it's very easy to slide the soil off the trash bag and back into the hole, followed by the plug. All trash that I find ends up in the bottom of the bag. Interested bystanders can see that I'm cleaning trash from the area. This method has served me well for a long time. Good luck, I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I do!

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link below is for the Raven by Predator Tools and I think it is an excellent digging tool but again I never use it unless I'm in a very out of the way area. Never in someone's yard or a park or any places like that.

The Raven

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You might consider looking into joining a Metal Detecting club in your area. Some are better than others but you can usually meet some good people that are very willing to help you learn the ropes. Just be patient and ask a lot of questions - it will come to you. Good luck!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all your advice, one more question. What is your standard equiptment to carry along and use? Thanks

Hey buddy,
Welcome aboard and here is what I carry. I always use a backpack and in it you will find a small tree saw, a sharp jackknife, a bottle full of water or two, a snack, and then you will find 3 containers. One is a larger Tupperware type container for smaller junk, another is about the same size and it's for keeper relics and larger objects, the third is a smaller little case that has padding in it. This is where I put my keeper coins. I always put a bit of soil in with the coins to keep them happy til I can clean them. Then I have another small padded case that is reserved for rare or valuable coins or buttons. It rarely gets used but it's there just in case. Oh yeah a little toilet paper isn't a bad idea lol

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Allen, I was completely "new" back in september when I got my etrac. I too am looking for folks to detect with, but I am in SAlt Lake City Utah. So that wont help u much.

I will say this though, as you have probably been told, (Iwas told many times)... detecting is harder than you would think for some reason, when starting out. Well, if you be patient with yourself, and you read the manual, (LIke you did already), and then go out and spend a few hours in the field, and then read more/again, or watch videos of people who use the AT PRO online, (youtube is always a good choice and Im sure there are tons.)... and then go out for a few hours "hands-on"... and rinse/wash/repeat... You will be a confident, MD swinger in no time, I have found several, I think 6 silvers so far, and I am loving it, in fact... Im off right now, to go find some "treasure" with my etrac.

Good luck.

Chris.

Hello alanford1958. TheRockDoc. Is right, experience is the best teacher. Get out there and swing away noting what the 'tecter is telling you and what you find. You will soon become a good discriminator of good signals vs bad ones.

Just never forget that 'ya never know till 'ya dig it. I have dug many "iffy" signals that turned out to be good finds.

Welcome aboard and good luck. C9

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! The AT Pro is a fine machine, learn her well and you will not be disappointed.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alanford1958 just wait till you find your first coin ,ring , buckle etc. Hell you get so excited and shaking oh .,but just remember when you are spinning and jumping up and down just make sure you got a tight grip on whatever you find for you don't want to be disappointed if you drop it some how and you have to look all over again for it . This hobby is so addicting that the only cure is to keep digging and hopefully you find something on your bucket list that you can scratch off. Welcome and good luck!!!!!!!!vanzutphen

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find an old park in your area, you will find a lot of trash but you will also find some old coin searching a park will make for good practice because you will find everything...

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i was gifted a cheap craftsman tool kit in a bag Untitledj.png it comes with a shoulder strap . I keep my pinpointer, brush,and toothbrush in there and throw everything i find in it. I use a smaller shovel and can pretty much sheath the blade end into the bag.

here you can register and see who else lives around here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/pennsylvania/339989-what-pennsylvania-county-do-you-live.html

local club Black Diamond Treasure Hunters Club - Kingston, PA

hope this helps.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I'm a Scranton native, but I live in Texas now, so I won't be much help. What you really need is a snow plow and a blow torch to get started, according to my parents, who still live there.:laughing7:

Try asking for permission at private residences and churches in Scranton/WB. Public parks like Nay Aug have been stripped down pretty good. I have had good luck in small, abandoned picnic areas from the 1940s-1950s in that area too. Try looking for piles of clam shells and old soda bottles from clam-bake events, which were popular in the post-WW2 area. There was a picnic area like that on my grandfather's property, and a couple of detectorists showed up in 1979, and grandpa let them in. They left with three Campbell's soup cans full of silver after just 2-3 hours. I saw it with my own eyes. D'Oh!!!! I still dug about 20 silver coins they missed in the late 1990s. Also check woods adjacent to cemeteries. Some of these had church picnic groves a long time ago, which are completely erased from memory now. I always had better luck in overgrown patches of woods than I did in nicely mowed lawns and parks. As with all areas, your luck will improve once you learn to find undiscovered sites that haven't been ravaged by dozens of machines. Be sure to let us know if you find anything!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions