Looking for people to detect with

alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, I just received my first metal detector a Garrett AT pro, now I'm looking for people to go detecting with. I'm 53 from Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, if someone can point me in the right direction...I tried it out today in the woods behind my home by a stream. My first three finds were a piece of steel. a can top, and bubblegum foil. No beginners luck.. read the manual but still was confused. Thanks Alan

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction! :blob7: Im also in PA, I don't know where mountain top is, Im down in Chester county near Valley Forge

OP
OP
alanford1958

alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briz06 said:
Welcome to the addiction! :blob7: Im also in PA, I don't know where mountain top is, Im down in Chester county near Valley Forge
gtrying to figure out how to answer people who reply

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Alan,
When I bought the Ace 250, it came with a CD.
Watch that if they gave you one. It's invaluble.
Also go to you tube and type in your model of detector.
you will probably find way more info than you can sit through.

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet and good luck with your metal detecting adventures. Research areas you want to detect and make up an agreement between you and the person empowered to allow you to metal detect on private property. I see you are near a lot of state property so learn if there are any restrictions about metal detecting there. Refill your holes and above all DO NOT TRESSPASS :coffee2:Sloemoe

mr-dig-it

May 23, 2009
Yes, fill your holes back in. I dug a foundation 2 times a mile and half back in the woods. The third time I went back, someone else had dug and left huge holes without filling them in. Yes, it was deep in the woods, no one else would probably see it, but it was still ugly.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fill all your holes for sure. I too ran into huge holes out in the woods. Very ugly and made me upset because I wasn't the first one there. ;) But i did find this so I must always say take your time and keep that coil close to the ground.

Attachments

• PlateFront.JPG
    PlateFront.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 702
  • PlateFront.JPG
    PlateFront.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 685

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has a series of AT Pro training videos at http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_videos.aspx .

They helped me speed up my learning process. There are also some good videos on YouTube. Just use Garrett AT Pro in the subject line and you'll have hours of videos to watch. For a broader range of videos type in Metal Detecting. This site also has a good Garrett-specific board at http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,209.0.html as do some of the other sites. Plenty of experience to draw upon.

Good luck.

Chuck

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are welcomed any time i go.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hey Allen, I was completely "new" back in september when I got my etrac. I too am looking for folks to detect with, but I am in SAlt Lake City Utah. So that wont help u much.

I will say this though, as you have probably been told, (Iwas told many times)... detecting is harder than you would think for some reason, when starting out. Well, if you be patient with yourself, and you read the manual, (LIke you did already), and then go out and spend a few hours in the field, and then read more/again, or watch videos of people who use the AT PRO online, (youtube is always a good choice and Im sure there are tons.)... and then go out for a few hours "hands-on"... and rinse/wash/repeat... You will be a confident, MD swinger in no time, I have found several, I think 6 silvers so far, and I am loving it, in fact... Im off right now, to go find some "treasure" with my etrac.

Good luck.

Chris.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby, it's addicting! The A.T. Pro is a great machine, I have one too. I remember times of being frustrated when I started detecting, but looking back I realize that learning and figuring things out was half the fun! It's like learning to play guitar, or doing a puzzle--seems difficult until you have a 'eureka moment' when something clicks. My advice is this: dig lots of targets, even the ones that sound like crap, and remove all junk targets and put them in the trash so you don't find them next time you detect that same spot!

CTdirtfishing

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Fairfield, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alan, love to hunt with you but unfortunately im not in the area. I too have the AT pro and if you have any questions at all about the machine, feel free to message me as i know the unit in and out. Good Luck out there! - Todd

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just up near west chester pa metal detecting a old estaste on boot road

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alanford1958 said:
Hello All, I just received my first metal detector a Garrett AT pro, now I'm looking for people to go detecting with. I'm 53 from Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, if someone can point me in the right direction...I tried it out today in the woods behind my home by a stream. My first three finds were a piece of steel. a can top, and bubblegum foil. No beginners luck.. read the manual but still was confused. Thanks Alan
Hi Alan, good luck with your hobby! As far as help here is a few links that will help yah get started as you will find research is where its at also get some popcorn & soda/beer & go to youtube & watch videos of your detector all night long!

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/North_America/

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Alan-

Welcome to T net! I'm up in the northeasten pa area - how far are your from Carbondale pa? I'll tell you what man- I'm getting an AT pro in a few weeks- as tax returns come in...I've heard of Mt. Top but am not sure where your at...anyhow, like people on here a suggesting check out youtube for ideas about using your detector- I have had (and found it really good) an ACE 350, and a minelab E-Trac - the best advice I can give is dig everything at first- if it appears to be something good -good deal, if not still worth checking out because you won't know what it is till you dig it up (no detector is ever going to give you more then just a good guess as to what's there)... it takes a while to get to learn what the detector is telling you- if your AT pro is like the ACE350 you can use the buttons to turn off unwanted signals to discriminate out things- but before you stop it from making a tone- over say, pull tabs, keep in mind gold rings will sound off like a pull tab. I even played around with my Ace350 and just searched for nickels/ rings. you never know. I'm still learning the Etrac- it's a more complicated machine, and I've found goodies with it- so it's all a how patient can you be learning the new sounds game? :)

this video has parts - I plan on checking these out before getting my AT pro- but the thing about detecting is if you just go out and look in my opinion your going to be frustrated - what you have to do is consider where the people have been, find places like old swimming holes, go check them out- old swimming places, beaches, river crossing, old mill areas, places that I love are old baseball parks. if this is your first detector your best bet is to take a few weeks out and just go out and play with it -swing slow- every tone you hear dig. once I realized that a nickel signal was actually a gold ring I never passed up a nickel signal again! (on my E-Trac anything that comes up 12-13 or 13-13 is going to get dug up- and anything that makes a violin tone is going to get me drooling- as it might be silver! on the 13-13 it might be a nickel, ring or can slaw- you never know!) it's going to take a while because the learning curve is high, but if you take your time and enjoy the ride you'll find a ton of stuff.

I just figured out where you are - other side of WB. if you check out 309 edwardsville -forty fort area there are some good old baseball fields I've seen in my travels but never had a chance to stop in on 309 north just out of the populated areas are two parks I think I passed for work...I work over in pittston - if you ever get the idea about wanting to check out scranton -the park at CMC/ hospital (i think mcdade park) I'd be up for it- anyplace new I'm up for...just waiting for it to warm up and ground to thaw...water needs to be warmer too... :) I'm not too crazy about going under in the spring thaw, but I can't wait to play in the water and find some of the things I keep hearing people lost! anyhow - pm me if want to- but right now I'm on weekend shift until around april, and then will change back to days having Fri-sat-sun off.

Alan since people on thread has mentioned how to dig a plug -this is a worthy video. this will save you some hassle - since this is the number 1 issue we face is losing hunting opportunities because some people won't take the time to not kill the grass, and not make a mess, and not fill the hole they dug...

anyhow - if you need anything PM me. I don't have the site/email tied in to my phone anymore - but check my email daily.

~Mike F.

OP
OP
alanford1958

alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slomoe said:
Welcome to treasurenet and good luck with your metal detecting adventures. Research areas you want to detect and make up an agreement between you and the person empowered to allow you to metal detect on private property. I see you are near a lot of state property so learn if there are any restrictions about metal detecting there. Refill your holes and above all DO NOT TRESSPASS :coffee2:Sloemoe

i have refilled them thanks for the advice. Alan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread