Gold prospecting in butler county pa

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check for Pa. Laws before attempting that . I've never tried it .

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You brought up a good question and I have the answer. My lawers set down Nov 1, 2012 with DCNR's lawers in Harrisburg to talk about the laws on Treasure Hunting in Pa. and this was one of our questions. Ted Boriski from the Mineral section said there is a lot of people now that the price of gold has gone up that are paning for gold and it is OK and you get to keep it all. This falls under the hobby law. Treasure Hunting is a hobby to if you have a hand held detector and you go into the earth a few inches. If someone does like we do and go with bigger drilling equipment and GPL's and Radar and Long Range Locators on a bigger scale then we have to be bonded. With a bond we have to tell them were we are and when we are in the woods. If you pan in Pa. it is good to let them know were you are to show good trust but if you get bigger with equipment and dig then you need a bond. They said gold has been found in all parts of Pa. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold panning is allowed in most places that I'm aware of, along rivers & public creeks & streams

However panning is not allowed in State Game lands or in PA State Parks.

I am pretty sure Gold Panning is listed as allowed in PA State forests
use of sluices may not be allowed, not sure

bodkin55

Oct 8, 2007
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
F-75, Fisher 1280x, Explorer II, DFX, V3i, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can use a sluice too... just nothing motorized though. If you want to use a dredge, you need to apply for a permit. Here is a link to the DEP fact sheet (right hand column). Hope this helps!

Links

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread