Charcoal Flats

babybear

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum
I've been bitten by the detecting bug and I'm loving it. My property has been very good to me for finds do to its history, but I'm ready for a change of pace for a while. So here's my next plan. Up on the mountain behind my place there are a lot of what we call charcoal flats, place where they did controlled burning of wood to make charcoal. Over the years while hunting, hiking, and looking for shed antlers I've found all kinds of relics laying around such as horse shoes, metal tubs, a wagon spring, and lots of bottles. Now that I've been doing my home work on the subject I realized that I know of at least one place that is the remnants of a charcoal burners hut. I'm looking forward to getting up to hunt these places with my detector and my question is have any of you detected such areas and what have you come up with? Thanks. HH

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
We have the same thing locally. We call them coal hearths or charcoal hearths. They are linked by a trail they call the coal road. The hearths or flats are near the base of the ridge, above the coal road. They are several hundred yards apart, and the coal road paralells the mountain for nearly 15 miles. It actually crosses our property, but have never detected it yet. Its on my list to do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread