Jun 27, 2012

chet470

Mar 29, 2013
Schuylkill County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Towns, roads and small streams (runs) were usually named after an early local resident, a geographical feature or sometimes an event that occured at the location. That was really no ryme or reason to how these names came to be but it's probably safe to assume that 75% of the time they fall into one of the above mentioned. In the case of gold mine road and gold mine run I think it's safe to assume there was at one time a small gold mining operation somewhere close by. Whether or not there is still gold is another story lol. Do you have any places in New Ringold to check out? I know of one place, it's about 10 acres, although I don't know that there is any history there. I haven't had a chance to get over there yet though.

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
Chet I don't but I'd love to start looking for some areas to check. Ya never know gold can be anywhere

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
FWIW - NEW RINGGOLD: Schuylkill County's VISION was named for Major Samuel Ringgold, the first American officer killed in the Mexican War...

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks vp. You're a good researcher. Lol now if u could find where this mine is on gold mine run...

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
I think from what I can see in the satellite maps it's not actually on gold mine road

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Barry Township, Schuylkill County and there's a "CAVE ROAD" but no caves. Go figure. :icon_scratch:

I believe Cave road is named after one of the Residents on it.
remember a "George Cave" was a Pain in the side of the Hegins Pigeon shoot association" :(

O R, You should see about Hunting the Old Post office. :laughing7:

Untitledqq.jpg

Picture 025.jpg

P.s.
I have probably a Dozen sites for Barry area. From Defunct Picnic Groves & Possible Ball Fields., But Unfortunately, my Jimmy failed Inspection. too many rusted holes underneath. So may 1st.
I'm without transportation unless I Get luck on an inspected
replacement for about $1300 :(

Once I have something i'll check with you :icon_thumright:

I've seen many places and roads with "gold" in it such as the towns of new ringgold, and goldvein and ive seen plenty of roads called gold mine road and even a stream called gold mine run (which eventually runs to a gold mine road) so how often is it that there is actually gold in the area?

I'd love to hear feedback from all over.

I'd say only if the "Gold Mine road" is out west
or Alaska.

in the case of Gold Mine road that runs through Schuylkill/ dauphin/ & Lebanon Counties non at all, unless you use the term "Black Gold" for Anthracite coal.

this doesn't mean the creeks don't have Flower gold here & there.
There are some who claim the Glaciers formed the Boxcar Rocks, on top.
which were used by the indians as a Resort, , Smoke signal location & Refuge Fort
after their raids during the French & indian war.

Of course You can't tell me Glaciers Can Build Giant walls like this

90876.JPG

90892.JPG

l.jpg

90868.JPG

90891.JPG

90880.JPG

f644796f-063d-443c-8a90-f649e9486a04.jpg

83484589.jpg

Untitledqww.jpg

Untitledr5rr.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...516,d.dmg&fp=239805fe2a4e3a1a&biw=800&bih=468

However it is all PA State Game Land on top & Private
owners to each side.

Rumor has it, A con woman in the late 1700's early 1800's
salted an area with gold, in order to sell the land

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
Of course glaciers could make those. They just need a hammer and chisel. maybe one day the glacier called his friends ice cube and slush and they helped. Lol

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
I was out there over the weekend and I believe I found a speck or 2 with my pan

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i often find many hunting spots that are associated with road names.......you'd be surprised how many old picnic groves are located on grove rd.........oddly enough my ex-girlfriend lived on loose lane :laughing9:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd not pass up a look at Church Camp Road when I see it on an old topo map. Even if there is no camp there now, it would pay to ask locals if they know where it was.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Where is there a church camp road? And what's the significance

Metal detecting at any old meeting area like a church camp could be worthwhile. Any place where people congregated is a good target area. I saw two such road names on old topo maps several years ago while doing some snooping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread