Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northumberland County DeWitt's Park, Riverside PA

Untitled.jpg

About 1896, DeWitt bought 28 acres of the Van Norstran farm at the south end of Avenue E in Riverside. His dream for the property was to turn it into a "pleasure resort" for the public. Brush was cut out, old trees removed and a water drainage system installed. Wells were sunk, a large pavilion — 50-by-110 feet, with a band stand — was erected and a cook house with a large dining hall was built. The following several years, new acquisitions and spots for entertainment were added. A shooting range and baseball diamond with a grandstand stood in the south corner of the park. In the north was a lawn tennis court and private stalls for horses. Around the park was a driving and bicycle path that could be used for horse racing. Inside the park, paths were cleared for walking and picnicking. There were carnival booths and a movie house in the park. Dances were held twice a week.

Many prominent dance bands and orchestras came to DeWitt's Park — Fred Waring and his orchestra was one such band. In 1905, DeWitt even went so far as to install a merry-go-round at the cost of more than $2,000. Trolleys connected to the park with Danville, Bloomsburg and Berwick.

The park became a popular resort and was visited by thousands every season. As you read articles in the old Danville newspapers, many meeting, reunions and family outings were held at DeWitt's Park.

DeWittt must have had a difficult time scheduling all the church picnics and other organizational events held there. The Farmer's Tri-County Picnic was one of the largest attractions at the park, bringing crowds in as large as 20,000 people.

Eventually DeWitt closed his medical practice, built a cottage in the park and spent the remainder of his life working and improving the park. After suffering a stroke in 1912, Abraham lived with his son, William, until his death on July 21, 1915. Abraham received the burial rites of the G.A.R. and was buried in Mount Vernon Cemetery, Riverside.

Unfortunately, with the advent of the automobile, the popularity of DeWitt's Park declined. People were more mobile and wanted to go farther afield for outings. DeWitt's Park closed and the only thing left is a grove of trees at the end of Avenue E. Homes surround the park along Avenues D and F. Homeowners there say pieces of old block foundations can be found under the brush.

Amusement park capped long, varied career » News » The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

AAA.jpg

Last edited:

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a few passes around the outlined area on the aerial above about a month ago and found that it's surrounded with houses making it nearly impossible to deal with all the property boundaries. The article mentions 28 acres as the (probable) size of the park. I'm thinking that the outlined area is smaller than 28 acres, therefore the park may gone beyond that area, it would be interesting to find out if it did or not. It would still be a cool place to hit if one could get access there!
HH!
Craig

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you would have to use Avenue E for access, (TOP CENTER)

Untitled.jpg

Other then that
I have no idea on it.

you can only go back to the November 20th 1938 on aerials at penn pilot

Untitled.jpg

Penn Pilot Photo Centers

Last edited:

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the research, Jeff. The Penn Pilot pic does a great job of showing just how big the park was and it does look like it did go beyond today's wooded area over to Blue Hill and Ave G. If someone wanted to deal with all the property owners around the parcel, that would be a great hunt. If it's never been hunted, then there's no telling what's hiding there!
HH!
Craig

ugly_plugs

Jan 30, 2020
PA - Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Nokta Makro Simplex
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to do this, but it does look like a maze of different property lines and owners on On X Maps.

mortaky

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2014
Danville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 80
Bounty Hunter
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went there with a friend in late winter and got permission from one of the properties. We found a ton of IHP's but they were eaten up by whatever was in the soil. My best find was a 1902 Barber dime in nice condition. My friend found a few nickels and they were also trashed. We only got to do one lot because the other homeowners refused permission due to bad experience with other treasure hunters. We only did about one acre so there could be lots more to find. We are going to ask again after the weeds die this fall. I will keep you updated.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pine trees seem to be hard on indians