Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1700's Bucks County Farm & Grist Mill

Farm and Grist Mill," The Pennsylvania Gazette, Philadelphia, Pa., Wednesday, 16th January 1793.

January 16, 1793 The Pennsylvania Gazette

A FARM and GRIST-MILL.
Will be exposed to sale, by public vendue, at the sign of the Buck, in Southampton, on Saturday, the 9th of February next, at two o'clock in the afternoon.

THE farm continues 145 acres of land, about twelve whereof are meadow, chiefly watered from the race, an orchard of grafted fruit in its prime, and a considerable quantity of wood land; on it are erected a good stone dwelling-house, stone barn, stables and sheds to accommodate teams bringing wheat to the mill, and a large, well constructed grist-mill, furnished with all the necessary conveniences for both merchant and country work of every kind. This estate is pleasantly situated on what is commonly called the Bristol Road, and the road from Philadelphia to Wright's-town, 18 miles from Philadelphia, and 9 from a landing on the Delaware, from whence the flour is conveyed to market by water at a small expence. Any person desirous of knowing the conditions of the sale, may be informed by applying to Vanuxem and Lombaert, in Philadelphia, or the subscriber, in Northampton, Bucks county.

Bucks county, January 10, 1793. HENRY WYNKOOP.

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
Re: 1700's Bucks County Farm & Grist Mill

This is right down the street from my house. I could literally run there in about 1 minute. There are 3 very old houses on 3 of the corners at Bristol rd and and 2nd Street pike. As you go up the road there are several more houses in a row dating back to the late 1700's. Most of the land has been sold off, but the houses still remain with a descent amount of property around them. The fruit he was talking about was the apple orchard. My house is on the SE corner of the old orchard property. Pretty cool info on my neighborhood

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder just how long it was there
before that 1793 sale

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yep.

could be

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II

Hoof Hearted.... One of those 3 houses used to be a Toll House on 2nd St. Pike. I've heard conflicting reports on which house, but I believe it is the one on the NE corner. I live right by Bristol and Brownsville, and have been checking that entire area for about a year now. All I have to do now is get the guts up to ask the owners if I can search the property. Davis Auto, further up on 2nd St. Pike used to be a coach stop called the White Bear Inn. Richboro Library has a great book, called "The Winds of Change", with photos from 1860's on. Good Luck

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA

Bodyguard said:
Hoof Hearted.... One of those 3 houses used to be a Toll House on 2nd St. Pike. I've heard conflicting reports on which house, but I believe it is the one on the NE corner. I live right by Bristol and Brownsville, and have been checking that entire area for about a year now. All I have to do now is get the guts up to ask the owners if I can search the property. Davis Auto, further up on 2nd St. Pike used to be a coach stop called the White Bear Inn. Richboro Library has a great book, called "The Winds of Change", with photos from 1860's on. Good Luck

Didn't know that about the toll house. You would think is was the white house on the SW corner, since it's the closest to the road. The NW corner is the corner of my developement. I drafted up my first permission letter for an old farm house in Buckingham. I would try doing the same. That way your not putting them on the spot and making it uncomfortable. If they are cool with it then they will contact you. Using the letter that Kiros32 wrote up was a big help to me for an outline.
Here is his post in case you missed it. GL with getting permision, and keep me posted.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,162799.0.html

Maybe the land behind Davis is worth checking out too.

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i

jeff of pa said:
Farm and Grist Mill," The Pennsylvania Gazette, Philadelphia, Pa., Wednesday, 16th January 1793.

January 16, 1793 The Pennsylvania Gazette

A FARM and GRIST-MILL.
Will be exposed to sale, by public vendue, at the sign of the Buck, in Southampton, on Saturday, the 9th of February next, at two o'clock in the afternoon.

THE farm continues 145 acres of land, about twelve whereof are meadow, chiefly watered from the race, an orchard of grafted fruit in its prime, and a considerable quantity of wood land; on it are erected a good stone dwelling-house, stone barn, stables and sheds to accommodate teams bringing wheat to the mill, and a large, well constructed grist-mill, furnished with all the necessary conveniences for both merchant and country work of every kind. This estate is pleasantly situated on what is commonly called the Bristol Road, and the road from Philadelphia to Wright's-town, 18 miles from Philadelphia, and 9 from a landing on the Delaware, from whence the flour is conveyed to market by water at a small expence. Any person desirous of knowing the conditions of the sale, may be informed by applying to Vanuxem and Lombaert, in Philadelphia, or the subscriber, in Northampton, Bucks county.

Bucks county, January 10, 1793. HENRY WYNKOOP.
where is that at, what adress

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread