May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1liquigirl said:
Rich, I have read everything at the Centre County Historical Society on David Lewis the Robber. As soon as the ground thaws I will be up in the Bellefonte mountains, moving a rock pile that is indeed unnatural and there are no other rocks around it. Lewis stated from the jail (not the current spot of the Bellefonte jail) that he could see his treasure from there. It was a basement jail with no windows. From the doorway you can see the area of the mountain where this pile of rocks is located. His $20,000 in gold is worth over $312,000 now. He did bury his money in other areas too. And spent alot of times hiding out in caves. If you could give me info on the cave names and directions to their locations for the counties of Clearfield, Centre, and Clinton Counties in a private message, I'd appreciate that.

1liquigirl.........Here are 6 of 8 Centre County caves. Penn's Cave and Woodward Cave have too much info to scan and post here. I can make quality copies of everything at the library if you would ever need that. Just PM me and let me know........Rich

Attachments

• Brukerhoff Cave.JPG
    Brukerhoff Cave.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 6,989
  • Veiled Lady Cave #2.JPG
    Veiled Lady Cave #2.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 6,731
  • Veiled Lady Cave #1.JPG
    Veiled Lady Cave #1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 7,207
  • Stover.jpg
    Stover.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 6,803
  • Rossman Cave.jpg
    Rossman Cave.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 6,894
  • Madisonburg & Rebersburg.JPG
    Madisonburg & Rebersburg.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 6,799
  • Veiled Lady Cave #3.JPG
    Veiled Lady Cave #3.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 6,662

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Simonds, if it could have been stacked at one time, I believe there should be at least a few pieces still stacked now. There is not any evidence of this, but I can't rule out the possibility that it wasn't. Good thought. I hadn't thought of that. It could be anything.

Mr. Mojo, more good thoughts. I'll look for the iron pipe or vertical stone within the pile and the surrounding area trees to see if I can find 3 cuts. Are you indicating that these three items would indicate land markers in the areas located (except in the first two instances as they could be moved)? The cover up by rocks if a pipe or vertical stone is found beneath could then indicate that someone may have done so to achieve a gain of some kind, like maybe to gain more ground to timber, or any variety of things.

Wainzoid, I believe that you are correct in your well theory about a depression, but just to be safe, I'll be careful and remove the rocks on the outside to the middle in case of a cave in. I will check further for anything else in the area that appears unnatural or would explain this pile, but on the previous inspection everything appeared natural around it, except this. I remarked to my hiking buddy, "Isn't it odd?" It is out of place, but if I had been David Lewis, I wouldn't have wanted a spot to hide the treasure that was too hard to find again. He may have covered it with this many rocks to cover over any evidence that the ground had been disturbed. I will be searching the area around the pile first to be sure that he hadn't placed the gold close by and piled the dug up rocks there.

Rich, thanks for the PM and the info you posted here on Centre County caves. Some of them I was not aware of. But, I believe that this only is a listing for large caves.

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
If Rich or anyone else has any info on and/or directions to any caves near the Six-Mile-Run area of Philipsburg, Tiagahdon (not sure of it's spelling) Mountain North East of downtown Bellefonte and East of the 144/150 highway between Bellefonte and Milesburg, and around the Mifflin County end of the Lewistown Narrows Rt 322 PM me and I'd be glad to investigate them further with you.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I did a quick search on google for 'Lewistown narrows cave' and 'Phillipsburg Pa cave' and came up with info on things like.... 'Alexander cave' and 'Red Panther cave'. I'm not sure if thats what you were looking for or not.

I also came across the 'Davey Lewis Cave' in Bedford County. I think its on the Bedford Springs Hotel property. Thats a cool place and it is presently being restored.

Rich, do you have any info on a 'Davey Lewis Cave' in Bedford County??

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wainzoid said:
I did a quick search on google for 'Lewistown narrows cave' and 'Phillipsburg Pa cave' and came up with info on things like.... 'Alexander cave' and 'Red Panther cave'. I'm not sure if thats what you were looking for or not.

I also came across the 'Davey Lewis Cave' in Bedford County. I think its on the Bedford Springs Hotel property. Thats a cool place and it is presently being restored.

Rich, do you have any info on a 'Davey Lewis Cave' in Bedford County??

Not by that name. The only caves listed for Bedford County are:

1. Hipple Cave (info posted above previously)
2. Mt. Dallas Cave
3. New Paris Cave
4. Wonderland Caverns

Attachments

• Mt. Dallas & New Paris.jpg
    Mt. Dallas & New Paris.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6,643
  • Page 1 & 2.jpg
    Page 1 & 2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 6,557
  • Page 3 & 4.jpg
    Page 3 & 4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 6,492
  • Page 5 & 6.jpg
    Page 5 & 6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6,449

double barrel

Jul 11, 2006
up by philipsburg it's called wolf rocks.and there are stories of lewis stashing money up there. on 322 west second road to the right on black moshannon state land are some of the rocks, there are supposedly more but i don't know where they are, somewhere in that general vicinity i guess.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
planebill said:
Any info on caves in Lebanon County, particularly along Swatara Creek?

I'v been trying to find the Caves near Harpers,
along the Swatara, which were used for Refuge during the
French & Indian war.
I know where to park to go look, But I don't know if they are still
there yet. or how far from yordy's Bridge

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
planebill said:
Any info on caves in Lebanon County, particularly along Swatara Creek?

Planebill..........There is only one cave listed for Lebanon County and has very limited info.

Beverly Hills Cave​

A cave at Beverly Hills located approximately one mile south of Jonestown, is an Ordovician limestone lense in the Martinsburg shale, has been closed by a blast at the entrance. This cave is said to have been inhabited by Indians. First-hand information about the size and character of this cave is not available at present.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEMPER FI said:
Any caves listed for ERIE,CRAWFORD or WARREN counties? thanks a bunch.

I though for sure there would be at least one before I looked in the book, but, unfortunately there are no caves listed for any of those 3 counties............Rich

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Hey Rich, its me your adopted pennsylvanian. ;D I plan on spending alot of time in McKean county this summer, I can see you've got alot of people asking for this info but if you could see your way clear to send any info for Mckean county for me I'd be really greatful. Please and thank you in advance like my momma taught me ! ::)

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WNYHobo said:
Hey Rich, its me your adopted pennsylvanian. ;D I plan on spending alot of time in McKean county this summer, I can see you've got alot of people asking for this info but if you could see your way clear to send any info for Mckean county for me I'd be really greatful. Please and thank you in advance like my momma taught me ! ::)

To my newly adopted Pennsylvanian ;D , sorry, no caves listed for McKean County :( ........................Rich

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I been searching the internet for other caves but have not been able to find anything that Rich hasn't already mentioned. Most of the info online is about Tourist Caves like Penns Cave, Crystal Cave etc. and they wouldnt be much help.
I did come across these 2 links but I don't suggest anyone go in them without researching them thoroughly as most have been closed for whatever reasons.

Western PA Caves that are closed
http://www.karst.org/closed.htm

Cave Database of Pennsylvania
http://www.caves.org/conservancy/pcc/Caves_PA.html

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I don't know why anyone would, want to go into these caves. If the caves are well known enough to be posted on the internet, then they probably don't hold anysort of treasure that wouldn't have been found along time ago. My interest in these caves was purely geological. If there were caves in the area I'm interested in searching then possibility exists that there could be an undocumented cave which could hold treasure. But otherwise these places should be avoided like a plague, unless your into speelunking of course. :D But maybe someone else has a differnet take I haven't thought of, I'd love to here about it. ;)

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I didnt think you would really go inside any of them but still had to mention that they should be avoided just in case there were any younger kids reading the info. ;)

The only problem with Un documented Caves is, there are no maps to get to them LoL I thought about reading up on different stories from the past and see if anything is mentioned on caves and came across one on Chief John Logan. He found a cave after shooting a deer and it ran inside of this cave. The cave had paintings on the walls and later Logan discovered there was another "room" with a pool of water with fish. I believe he was up that way "someplace" near McKean County. (Im not 100% positive on that tho)
The story I read never gave details on where the cave was at or it's name but it may be documented some where else in another story.

This is just an idea, it may help to go thru stories from McKean county and look for any mention of caves that may have existed once upon a time. You may find enough info and put it all together to figure out where they might be located ... IF any existed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread