C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, if there's anyone else wanting to join in, please do!
Craig-KB3BEL

GWalter

Apr 19, 2014
Athens,PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried to hear you this morning. we might be to close only 90mi from your grid square to mine. Maybe if we try a certain frequency tomorrow say 7.230 or 7.240 they seem quiet on my end.
Greg-N3UPN

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was calling on 7.210 and got a guy from Atlanta just to let me know I was getting out ok. It turned out 210 is a net freq. but they just happened to be done right before I came in, so it worked out ok. I think that we need to try the freqs you mentioned. How about you call t-row morn on one of those freqs you mentioned.
Craig-KB3BEL

GWalter

Apr 19, 2014
Athens,PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craig
Another thought would be to hook up on 2m Williamsport repeater which is about half way between us. Repeater frequency is 145.330- tone 167.9 or 146.730- no tone. Also one in Berwick which is a linked repeater frequency 145.130- tone 77.0 all of these I can get into.
Greg-N3UPN

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's something I'll have to look into. I use to use those two alot in the past when I lived north of here. I'll see if I can hit them from this QTH.
Craig-KB3BEL

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been a CB operator since I was old enough to operate a single channel walkie talkie although I never felt the need to step up to HAM. Currently I spend most of my time on 36-39 LSB. Longest skip was Honolulu Hawaii working a (temporary) 102" SS whip stuck to my chimney cap!

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was always fun and challenging to see what one could do on CB, especially running bone stock. It'll make you focus on antenna design and seeing how far your ideas could get you. :)

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture from before I was born..
View attachment 990136
looks similar to an R390/U... We learned about them in 1969 A school Treasure Island SF...still had one on board the Richard S Edwards DD 950 in 1974... These had a lot of silver contacts and were a very sensitive receiver... With good tubes, better than any transistorized receiver today!
After looking it up I see my memory is failing... But the unit still looks very familiar... Perhaps it is an oscillator or signal generator... At any rate the old gear could perform very well!

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been a CB operator since I was old enough to operate a single channel walkie talkie although I never felt the need to step up to HAM. Currently I spend most of my time on 36-39 LSB. Longest skip was Honolulu Hawaii working a (temporary) 102" SS whip stuck to my chimney cap!

I like talking 27mhz ssb 40 below, I've made 49 countries,last cycle,my favorite was Australia,8000 miles on 40 watts,had a home-brew 4 element yagi on the flat side with counter poise,but,alas that was in the Great Smoky Mountains,here was a Wilson 1000 on top of my cargo trailer which was my work-shop,sold the trailer,moved it in the house,used it for several years............. since I bought my detector haven't used it ,that was 4 years ago.:laughing7: You ever talk to 44 and a 6,Ernie in Point Hope AK? 27.425 LSB,or were you am?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread