jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apparently borough officials used heavy equipment to swipe it.

Published: June 8, 2014

Centralia time capsule safe and sound

A time capsule thought to have been tampered with in Centralia has been found safe and sound, according to state police at Bloomsburg.
Last weekend, police reported that someone used heavy equipment to tamper with the time capsule buried at the Centralia American Legion.
Police said an investigation revealed that borough officials removed the time capsule after noticing tampering at the site.
“The time capsule is complete and secure,” police wrote in their updated release.
The time capsule was placed in 1966 and is scheduled to be opened in 2016.

Centralia time capsule safe and sound - News - Citizens' Voice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Rerntern

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Great work guys, Thanks for the update. Wish the government could investigate matters 1/2 as fast and not half assed.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, October 2014: Officials discovered to their dismay that groundwater had seeped inside, ruining most of the time capsule’s contents.

A crowd of about 75 Centralians and their families gathered in October 2014 at an unveiling of the salvageable contents: the miner’s helmet carbide lamp, a pair of ladies’ bloomers signed by townsfolk, coins and a bonnet. After a brief period of public reflection, the items were returned to the original donors and their descendants.
Though the waterlogged time capsule drowned the prospect of a joyous reunion with Centralians from a half-century ago, there remains the sense that continuing story of this dauntless town is far from over.

http://www.abandonedcountry.com/2013/07/01/centralia-pennsylvania-a-time-capsule-left-behind/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Rerntern

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Wow jeff, thanks for the update. That really sucked, being my wife was born and raised in Centralia and had no idea they were going to open the time capsule early. We both were planning to attend the ceremony in 2016. Guess we will have to scrap that idea.

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a shame the ceremony was cancelled. It kinda took away the last event that town could ever have.

20141004-Centralia-time-capsule.jpg

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, Delta 4000, TC2X, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got a chance to look at my Feb.2015 Lost Treasure Mag. and they have a 4 page article on the town. I remember seeing the name when browsing the Pa forum.
The article was very interesting. I did a search here and seen there was a hunt a few years back. Anyone find anything interesting?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a chance to look at my Feb.2015 Lost Treasure Mag. and they have a 4 page article on the town. I remember seeing the name when browsing the Pa forum.
The article was very interesting. I did a search here and seen there was a hunt a few years back. Anyone find anything interesting?

if anyone else found anything , they aren't talking http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/finds-pennsylvania/88298-beautiful-day-centralia-today.html on the article, Who wrote it ?

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link. I looked thru the searched post I missed that one. Sounds like it was a great get together. The article was written by Kelly B. Darmofal

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link. I looked thru the searched post I missed that one. Sounds like it was a great get together. The article was written by Kelly B. Darmofal

Thanks ! I believe Kelly my be from NC,
so I'm not sure if she got her info from reading or local historians .
so I wonder on her accuracy . However

I just ordered a copy from LT :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glancing thru the article again I saw a book mentioned "The Day the Earth Caved In" by Joan Quigley. I did a search and found a few pages that I could read and I might have to order the book. What a interesting story and part of history in your neck of the woods.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glancing thru the article again I saw a book mentioned "The Day the Earth Caved In" by Joan Quigley. I did a search and found a few pages that I could read and I might have to order the book. What a interesting story and part of history in your neck of the woods.

:thumbsup:Beginning on Valentine’s Day, 1981, when twelve-year-old Todd Domboski plunged through the earth in his grandmother’s backyard in Centralia, Pennsylvania,

0205-centralia-pa-coal-fire.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
magazine just arrived. from a quick glance it is obvious she never stepped in Centralia.

she got several things wrong.

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She must have did more reading than talk to the locals. Has anyone quested on how long it would burn?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it may burn for a long time yet, but unless things have changed recently.
if you drive into town you will have a hard time finding smoke.
it is not as bad as the articles written by armchair writers suggest.

years ago if you drove in town, you'd most likely
see a fire truck outening brush fires.

that's all part of the past now.

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just in Centralia a few months ago with a group of geologists. We talked to locals from nearby towns who told us that the smoke is no longer visible and the fire is probably very small now. We were upset to hear this but still determined to find out for ourselves if this was true or not. It was getting dark and we had never been there before. We walked through the woods and eventually climbed up a hill where all the plants were dead and the ground was covered by outcrops of shale. On a whim I put my hand on the ground next to one of the outcrops and I was amazed that it felt quite warm - warmer than it should have been. That's when we soon discovered that under every rock there was significant heat. As the air got colder we began to see the vapor plumes rising a few hundred feet down the hill. There were tons of cracks in the ground that belched steam and even cracked pieces of bedrock that had pools of boiling water in them. So hot was the ground in some places that we could have easily slept comfortably right there on the ground next to them for the entire cold night - the ground was as warm as beach sand on a sunny day. Can't wait to return next year, those shale outcrops were rich in Carboniferous-era plant fossils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread