🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why not Detectorsts Permits ?

I'd pay $30.00 a year to detect PA Game land

Non-hunters to pay fee?
Non-hunters who use state game lands across Pennsylvania could be forced to pay
fee

under a proposal being considered by the Pennsylvania Game Commission, which owns and takes care of some 1.5 million acres of game lands across the state, non-hunters who use those properties would be required to pay up — possibly $30 a year. That means non-hunters who frequent the game lands to ride bikes and horses, to hike, run the trails or even walk the dog all would have to pay to play.

Non-hunters who use state game lands across Pennsylvania could be forced to pay fee - LancasterOnline: Local News

I tried to add this comment : But I refuse to use facebook or other sources they list

I know a whole group of PA Residents who would be happy even to pay $100.00 a year for a Permit for PA State game lands. Metal Detector Users

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good grief!! Pay to hike?? They gotta be nuts!! As for folks who'd pay $100 to metal detect, god bless 'em, but I'd poach before shelling out that kind of money. Hiking uses up no resources like hunting does and should be free to all. What's next, a fee to walk to the store for a newspaper??

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We already pay to use the land because we (the taxpayer) owns it. I'm writing to my state legislator today. This is insane!

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hunters are taxpayers too. Yet they have to pay to hunt there. It's called a license fee.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
`hunters take from the land though...

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hunters are taxpayers too. Yet they have to pay to hunt there. It's called a license fee.

They pay to take the game, i.e. doe license, deer license, etc. That's not for the use of the land. They can hunt other ground that isn't part of the game commission, but they still have to have a license to take the game.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word says it all GREED, They want it all, they think they own the land. They are above the law and thats what happens when there heads get to big. Even if you did get a Detecting Permit and you found something , They take it all. We were offered a bond to work on state land and that was just to pound 16" copper rods in the ground for our GPL. The bond was for $15,000 and if we did anything wrong ( cut grass, dig, remove dead trees, ) we would lose most of it . To dig on state land is another bond and you have many permits, holding ponds, hire many experts to make sure everything is done right. Then after you pay all the cost and find something , they take it all and you have to clean up the area and restore it or loose the bigger bond. Its not worth it. Just go out and do your thing and have fun.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So can you legally hunt on PA game land now? Just curious because I'm like 10 minutes from PA and I hope I'm not missing out like I am down here in MD.

swatty

Jul 3, 2014
Schuylkill County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Pennsylvania State Game Lands (SGL) are lands managed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission for hunting, trapping, and fishing. These lands, often not usable for farming or development, are donated to the PGC or purchased by the PGC with hunting license monies.

Source: Wikipedia

They aren't taxpayer owned. The PGC also pays very low property tax by the sale of hunting licenses. I've heard it's under $2 an acre.

Last edited:

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes you can legally hunt on pa game lands, thats what they are for. monies from license fees are used to purchase these lands.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes you can legally hunt on pa game lands, thats what they are for. monies from license fees are used to purchase these lands.

I think toddsumm1 was talking about metal detecting in which the answer is no you may not.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
`hunters take from the land though...

A bit off topic, but hunters play an important role in population control. Without hunting there would be animals starving, diseased animals and ALOT more car vs. deer collisions. I don't know about you, but I'd rather harvest and eat a healthy deer than watch whole herds of them starve to death in the wintertime.

Just as an example, here in New York State I pay $ 100 every year for all my hunting/fishing privileges(gun hunting, bow hunting, muzzleloader hunting, fishing and trapping). IMO $30 is not bad at all compared to what sportsmen/women spend annually.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I was talking about detecting. I have done some research and it seems you can in parks if you follow some regulations. Mainly the ones that pertain to digging holes. Can only use screwdrivers or picks. Then you are not allowed to dig up anything over a hundred years old and if you do you have to turn it in to the commision.

I do understand a lot of the regulations and it doesnt seem fair to honorable detectorists. Although we have to protect the rights of many people and some ruin it for everyone these regulations make it fair for others as well who do not want to see big honking holes in the earth...this goes for me too.

I do on the other hand think it would be beneficial for some regulatory commision to allow a training program for some of us and license those of us who pass these programs to purchase permits. These permits would allow us to hunt in these areas. Furthermore stiff penalties would be enforced for those who do not follow the rules. Pretty much like obtaining a hunting license and only hunting in designated areas and at certain times.

I mean come on now....most European countries allow hunting and only ask that antiquities be turned over for the benefit of preserving history. Most of the time if the items are rare or historic they will be purchased by a museum and if not the finder is allowed to keep them, but they are not allowed to sell it!

Furthermore who cares other than the people on here that I dug a 200 year old large cent. Most are torn up and really bad shape. I dont care what it looks like but it was a high I still look forward to when I see that big coin in the hole. What would a state government want with that coin. Hell in another 200 years it would be a copper cud/slug.

Im done ranting. I have plenty of places to dig. I dont need no stinking public land to dig. Lol

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So can you legally hunt on PA game land now? Just curious because I'm like 10 minutes from PA and I hope I'm not missing out like I am down here in MD.

No you cannot legally detect on PA game land

Most will tell you flat out no

you may find a few rangers who don't know better and say go for it.

or will go the route of saying Yes,
But anything you dig must stay where you found it.

as per their signs nothing can be removed from sgl except
in season legal game with a license.

and sgl is privately owned . it is not the states property.

You can hunt PA State Parks. with a permit.
They are public & owned by the state

But Not PA State Game Lands. Too different animals

Last edited:

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind paying fees to support and preserve our resources that we get to enjoy while outdoors.

davidj4220

Jul 6, 2013
I don't understand why we can't use a screwdriver on the sgls like in the state parks to detect. They pgc rarely change things and still operate a lot like its 1940. I had a friend years ago move to north Carolina and showed me a combo fishing and hunting license you buy for one fee with all the extras. Then if you shoot a deer you call 1-800-I got one. If things were only that easy and simple here.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why we can't use a screwdriver on the sgls like in the state parks to detect. They pgc rarely change things and still operate a lot like its 1940. I had a friend years ago move to north Carolina and showed me a combo fishing and hunting license you buy for one fee with all the extras. Then if you shoot a deer you call 1-800-I got one. If things were only that easy and simple here.

too Long a story , But I was told by a state game land ranger

Technically you can detect, you can dig, you can photograph what you find.
but after you must Rebury or set it in clear view for others to see as they walk by.
But you can't remove from SGL.

and Being what they know will really happen they would politely
request you pack up and leave if they catch you.

of course this was a ranger doing PR

I'm sure some rangers would not be so polite :tongue3:

luck of the draw

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all comes down to revenue. The state may not own the land but the amount of money generated by sales tax collected through sales of ammunition, weapons, clothing, camping supplies, etc DOES sway politicians' opinions in the matter.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very True they do have their hands in the SGL Peoples pockets