PA Plane crash

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
PA Plane crash

I was lucky enough to obtain GPS coordinates to a plane crash through research. The strange part is that one of my relatives was on the flight. I am planning to MD the crash site soon and was looking for hints about searching such a site. I know Jeff has done such a search before. I don't plan on getting rich, I would just love to maybe find some personal belonging to return to family. I know it was a steep angle descent and very little fire was involved. Other than that, I don't know what I'm going to find when I get there. I'm sure the FAA cleaned the spot up pretty well. Any thoughts?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: PA Plane crash

Not sure how many details you want to post, But

can you give age of crash ?
& was it Scatterd over an area ?

As long as it's not connected to 9-11 or after,
I would guess you'll have little problems with permission.

as for finding things, it depends on age.

in the last 40 years or so, Since the age of Detectors,
& the FAA things have been cleaned up alot more
then back in the early days.

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used

The crash is pre 9/11, but would be considered modern. It is also on public land though it involves hiking up a mountain to reach it. I am hoping the debris isn't scattered too far due to the steep descent angle, but I haven't been there so who knows? I do have a picture of the FAA going over the site when the plane was still there, it looks relatively confined to a small area. All on board were killed, so I know I'll have the willies when I get there.
How deep can relics be driven into the ground? I guess that depends on a lot of factors.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of what we found was within a few inches.

The deeper finds were mostly pre crash relics
from the Coal mining Era.

Nothing sseemed to be Driven in, more like covered over by
Coal Dust, Tree Leaves Etc. over the 55 years after the crash

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used

The crash site. Note the lack of major fire damage.

Attachments

• crashsite.JPG
    crashsite.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 2,175

drustino

Mar 11, 2005

Nothing relating to the plane it self, some cans and the usual trash. A friend of mine who knows somebody on the fire dept. said that it was picked pretty clean by investigators and volunteers, some with metal detectors, he also said that when he 4 wheels down that way that he saw guys metal detecting from time to time.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well as the old saying goes.......nothing is ever hunted out. I wouldn't confine myself to just the crash area. Don't forget, debris, personal belongings could be scattered anywhere. For example, the finds Jeff and I made on our plane crash site after 55 years. I know its not the same kind of plane, but ya never know. Give it a shot and spend some time there, might pay off ;) ............Rich

coalminer

Jun 7, 2007
tremont,pa.
Detector(s) used
white, & dowsing rod's (divining rod)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rubicon said:
The crash is pre 9/11, but would be considered modern. It is also on public land though it involves hiking up a mountain to reach it. I am hoping the debris isn't scattered too far due to the steep descent angle, but I haven't been there so who knows? I do have a picture of the FAA going over the site when the plane was still there, it looks relatively confined to a small area. All on board were killed, so I know I'll have the willies when I get there.
How deep can relics be driven into the ground? I guess that depends on a lot of factors.

when this plane crashed , the plane flew over mt. carmel the town people seen their faces looking out the window.s it crashed two miles north of mt. carmel. pa. it crashed near a breaker the crash site is on private property. (coal property) the plane passengers all died.the people from the breaker and surrounding area got most of the belonging's including $200,000 in cash. some passenger's had their fingers cut off for their rings the plane is buried under the rock bank that is still on the property.

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA

coalminer said:
Rubicon said:

when this plane crashed , the plane flew over mt. carmel the town people seen their faces looking out the window.s it crashed two miles north of mt. carmel. pa. it crashed near a breaker the crash site is on private property. (coal property) the plane passengers all died.the people from the breaker and surrounding area got most of the belonging's including $200,000 in cash. some passenger's had their fingers cut off for their rings the plane is buried under the rock bank that is still on the property.

This doesn't say much for the people in Mt. Carmel.

That is extremely disturbing!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

urbss said:
This doesn't say much for the people in Mt. Carmel.

That is extremely disturbing!!

my belief some of the stories are just that.
Stories.

Just like the one that the site was cleaned up & the
$200,000 was Dumped before the Plane crashed.

a few items were Salvaged before the site was Declaired
protected,
and

A few did Sift for finds After the site was Declaired Cleaned.

But the Fingers being Cut off ? I find doubtfull.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II

Over the years I remember three plane crashes in the Williamsport area. 1 crashed east of Williamsport and a bit north of Montoursville. the Second went down on the mountain off rt 654 about half way up the mountain and a very long time ago a passenger plain went down in bad weather on the mountain across the river from the Montoursville airport. I think the first planewas a puddlejumper the last was a large passenger planeI am not sure of the date but back in 50'sor 60;s not sure. the 654 plane was a private craft if I recall right.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Seems like the ultimate place to find lots of... trache'.

I don't know that I would ever bother with a crash site. :-\

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA

I read about the Mt. Carmel crash quit a few years ago in a Treasure Magazine. From what I can remember, the plane was a prop driven commercial airliner with a few dozen passengers on board. One of them being a well know celebrity (movie star or entertainer). The plane experienced problems and began loosing altitude. To compensate for the loss, the crew began throwing baggage out the aircraft, including a leather mailbag containing $200,000 in cash. That bag was never reported as being found. Maybe it was and someone in the area became very rich. Who knows?
My mother-in-law, who's now 86 years old, lived in Centralia remembers the day the plane crashed. She said it did fly very low over the town and did claim to see the door opened and items being thrown out just before it disappeared over the mountain just north of Centralia.
The remains of unidetified bodies are buried in a common grave in the cemetary on the southside of Centralia. This grave site I did see. The tombstone is marked with the date and some information about whos buried there.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter was going to detect a crash in the everglades, he talked about it for a while, then it fell off the radar screen. I wonder if he got the "willies" while doing his search. BigC, if you're out there, give us a heads up on your find.

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

they probably did throw the money out....its just that everyone who goes there looks on the ground for money.....try looking up.....its probably hanging from a tree haha

and god bless all those who lost their lives in these crashes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions