Prohibition Redux: Pennsylvania to Destroy Thousands of Bottles of Wine

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Prohibition Redux: Pennsylvania to Destroy Thousands of Bottles of Wine | Washington Free Beacon

Owner violated archaic liquor laws

BY: Stephen Gutowski
October 24, 2014 12:41 pm

A Pennsylvania man’s extensive wine collection is on the verge of destruction. The state plans to pour out thousands of bottles of wine, including many rare labels, after a police sting found the owner was selling the wine out of his home.

Pennsylvania is one of only two states where only the state is legally allowed to sell wine to the public, Bloomberg News reported.

Pennsylvania plans to destroy 2,447 bottles seized from Arthur Goldman, a Philadelphia-area lawyer who was charged this year with illegally reselling wine. While he has agreed to penalties, he’s fighting the jettisoning of his collection, which encompasses small-batch California producers such as Turley Wine Cellars, Martinelli Winery, and Kistler Vineyards.

Pennsylvania’s liquor code requires that wine seized by the state either be destroyed or donated to a hospital.

The state seized the wine after assigning undercover agents to conduct an investigation into whether Goldman was selling any of his collection.

State police officers said that Goldman, 50, sold wine out of his home in Malvern, about 25 miles west of Philadelphia, court documents show. He sent an undercover agent a 97-page email of wines available for purchase, most of which weren’t available in the state. Goldman at one point showed two officers his basement, where they saw 90 boxes of wine, according to court papers.

This is the first time Goldman has been charged with illegally selling wine.

Goldman was charged in January with buying alcohol outside the state system and selling liquor without a license, and in August agreed to accept the penalties under a first-time offender program, said Michael Noone, Chester County First Assistant District Attorney.

Under the program, which doesn’t involve pleading guilty, Goldman must complete requirements such as two years of probation and 300 hours of community service, Noone said by telephone.

The wine that Pennsylvania plans to throw away is highly prized by collectors.

Much of Goldman’s collection reflects “small artisan producers” that only make limited varieties, said Tom Wark, executive director for the American Wine Consumer Coalition, a Napa-based lobbying group.

Wark, who said he has 25 years of experience in the wine industry, called a 2011 Kosta Browne Keefer Ranch wine listed “one of the most sought-after Pinot Noirs made in California.” Online prices for the wine start at $175, and it is only being offered by collectors.

Joel Mathis of Philadelphia Magazine labeled the ordeal unfair.

If the regulations and taxes on a product are so stringent, however, that they help create a black market for an otherwise-legal product—and that’s what happened here—then it’s likely those regulations and taxes are just a bit too burdensome to be considered, strictly speaking, fair.

Ever buy a bottle of, well, anything, in Delaware or New Jersey, then bring it home to Philly? If so, you know the experience was cheaper, more customer-friendly, better than the same experience here. But that also means you’ve violated the same laws that Arthur Goldman allegedly did.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"destroyed or donated to a hospital". ? what's that about ?

I think there is a Bill in the works to change the law on out of state buys by PA residents.

and I wander if they Privatized Liqueur sales would have changed things.

Although I don't know that this collection is one of a Kind Wines,
just rare for the state, Hopefully something can be done to prevent their destruction before there
destruction by being Drank

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me get this straight, a LAWYER broke the Law and got caught.. smash every bottle and make him watch! Archain or not, he knew better and got caught!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
He's selling "collectibles", same as you and I would be selling coins or antiquities from our collection. I doubt he's selling bottles of Boone's Farm.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's selling "collectibles", same as you and I would be selling coins or antiquities from our collection. I doubt he's selling bottles of Boone's Farm.

I got 4 cases of collectables that I cannot sell because it is not legal to sell alcohol in PA, and I am not a Lawyer.. Not saying the laws should not be changed, I am all for it. Just think it is funny that a Lawyer would be dumb enough to do something like this and then get caught! Let his suffer with every dumped bottle!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, that law needs to be changed, to allow for sales of collectable wines & liquors

rlt9999

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Freedom, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 4 cases of collectables that I cannot sell because it is not legal to sell alcohol in PA, and I am not a Lawyer.. Not saying the laws should not be changed, I am all for it. Just think it is funny that a Lawyer would be dumb enough to do something like this and then get caught! Let his suffer with every dumped bottle!

I would think that you could give that wine as a gift to anyone of legal age and charge an appropriate shipping and handling fee accordingly.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost forgot this, but there has to be exceptions.

Several years ago I attended a highly publicized local auction of spirits.
it was the contents of a private bar in a local Mansion.

the bottles were all sealed, many somewhat old as they had the old paper tax stamps.

I purchased a few that had no interest to the other bidders .

anyway the auctioneer explained at the beginning how auctioning these off was legal,
but I didn't pay close attention & even if I had, I doubt I would remember exactly what he said.

but it had something to do with selling them as collectors items.

they have been sitting here aging in heat & cold, collecting dust etc.
& probably highly poisonous now , but perhaps will get sold off again one day

DSCF0005(1).JPG

DSCF0006(1).JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you guys have hospitals that serve wine??? I gotta move

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff what do you want for the Jacquin's rum, and cortez tequila?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread