Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work to begin on Island project

at Wednesday night’s borough council meeting, the council approved a proposal from Rettew Engineering Inc., Pottsville, to conduct a topographical survey and erosion and sedimentation plan on the property.

The “Island” is approximately 21 acres of open green space in the middle of the borough surrounded on three sides by the Schuylkill River and by the railroad on the fourth side.

The survey will cost approximately $30,000, with some of the funding coming from $85,000 of FEMA money allotted for improvements on the lower part of the Island after flood damage last June.

“Are we anywhere near doing anything over there that we want to spend money on that right now?” asked council President Kurt E. Montz.

“I mean, is it going to change? If we spend 30 grand now to do this, in six months, is anything going to change? Are we going to move forward?” he asked. “We’ve been talking about the Island for two years and we haven’t done anything over there.”

However, council members said the plan for the Island is finalized and the survey would need to be done for the project to get off the ground. The surveying may start next month, according to Councilman Carl F. Berger.

The plan for the Island has changed a number of times, and a state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources grant for the first phase of the project was denied last month.

However, with funding from FEMA to address improvements in the flood plain area in the lower portion of the Island, Berger said work on the soccer fields could commence in August.

Berger said the previous design was ratified so that the soccer fields would now be located within the flood plain, as opposed to the baseball fields.

Berger said the logic in that planning is to save the borough money should a flood occur again. He said it’s less of a loss to lose soccer fields than to replace a baseball diamond.

In other business, Rettew also submitted a proposal for flood repair to the Sewage Treatment Plant, including the replacement of comminutors, repairs to damaged Mag Flow meters and replacement of the office trailer.

Borough Administrator James New said the borough received $640,000 from the insurance company for damage repairs after June’s flood.

Since then, the borough has only spent $250,000.

However, council member Marlin W. “Mudge” Berger complained that some of the work allocated to the engineering firm could be handled — at a cheaper price — by borough employees.

Montz suggested tabling the discussion until the proposal was re-evaluated.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCHUYLKILL HAVEN in Schuylkill County,
was first Settled in 1750

Attachments

• schuylkill_outside_SCHESRI222402392464709.jpg
    schuylkill_outside_SCHESRI222402392464709.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 238
  • NC001040.jpg
    NC001040.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 222
  • NC001041.jpg
    NC001041.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 216
  • NC001042.jpg
    NC001042.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 225
  • NC001046.jpg
    NC001046.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 208
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "ISLAND" in 1875

Attachments

• ZZIsle1875.jpg
    ZZIsle1875.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
generik said:
so what is in there? 28 land parcels and a canal, three streets. Has anyone hunted here recently?

Right now it's a Recreation area.

BaseBall Fields, Socer Fields, Open fields.
Area is used for Schuylkill Havens Celebrations.

I have no Idea if Detecting is allowed there.

But if it's being REworked, It may be worth a shot.

OOPS, I almost posted this in your Post :P

generik

Apr 11, 2007
Selinsgrove, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V
I guess I didn't word that properly. ::) It looks like the park is covering those old parcels of land and canal. I guess one town finally learned not to rebuild on the flood plain. Some day they may do that with the Isle of Que. (another "not an island" island) but not really.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that's what happen I'm sure.

Isle of Que ? there is a cache Story that goes with that

area. Don't know if your Familiar with it ?

I'll have to do some research, to refresh my Memory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread