Come on guys and gals lets kick start this....any research topics of interest?

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
I have had trouble logging on, but today the God's are smiling on me. Been trying to look for new sites, on county historical pages, and PA Archives. Would like to get to archives, but would probably spend the rest of my life there.

Who has any questions, ideas, revelations they would like to share?

I was perusing the Sanborn maps of my county, I usually do not, they show ownership, and locations, but I am looking for groves, fairgrounds, which are rarely listed. I have noticed on rare occasions notes like Site of "Old Twisted Pine" this is out in the woods/mountain in a desolate location. I am thinking "Tavern???" Worth a look. Also I found a note "Ginny's swimming hole." Now I am considering the AT Pro purchase for a July foray.

Anybody have luck finding swimming holes? How about Turnpike Toll Houses? I have seen one noted on a sanborn map. The archives has turnpike data that would require a visit. Some turnpikes have faded to oblivion so finding those might prove valuable. Finding groves takes some looking, I have found them reading personal diaries, speed reading/scanning. Usually only a line or two. Once identified, you need to visit courthouse and look on Grantor/Grantee books to locate old owners farm. Get some help, ladies there usually are glad to assist. Sometimes there is a road named "Hay's Grove" for example, if your lucky an older local can help. I was looking for Garrets Grove south of Mechanicsburg, on Williams Grove Rd. This grove is old old 1700's. Found the Garret farmhouse off WG road, would need permission to search fields and hope for some luck.

Lets get this going an maybe someone will find something to post.

Chuck

PA State Archives - Record Group 12 - Records of the Department of Highways - Container List

State Archives

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had trouble logging on, but today the God's are smiling on me. Been trying to look for new sites, on county historical pages, and PA Archives. Would like to get to archives, but would probably spend the rest of my life there.

Who has any questions, ideas, revelations they would like to share?

I was perusing the Sanborn maps of my county, I usually do not, they show ownership, and locations, but I am looking for groves, fairgrounds, which are rarely listed. I have noticed on rare occasions notes like Site of "Old Twisted Pine" this is out in the woods/mountain in a desolate location. I am thinking "Tavern???" Worth a look. Also I found a note "Ginny's swimming hole." Now I am considering the AT Pro purchase for a July foray.

Anybody have luck finding swimming holes? How about Turnpike Toll Houses? I have seen one noted on a sanborn map. The archives has turnpike data that would require a visit. Some turnpikes have faded to oblivion so finding those might prove valuable. Finding groves takes some looking, I have found them reading personal diaries, speed reading/scanning. Usually only a line or two. Once identified, you need to visit courthouse and look on Grantor/Grantee books to locate old owners farm. Get some help, ladies there usually are glad to assist. Sometimes there is a road named "Hay's Grove" for example, if your lucky an older local can help. I was looking for Garrets Grove south of Mechanicsburg, on Williams Grove Rd. This grove is old old 1700's. Found the Garret farmhouse off WG road, would need permission to search fields and hope for some luck.

Lets get this going an maybe someone will find something to post.

Chuck

PA State Archives - Record Group 12 - Records of the Department of Highways - Container List

State Archives

Sorry I buried Your post ! I got carried away :tongue3:

"Hay's Grove" is apparently a town east of Walnut Bottom on 3006 Carlisle area

Untitled1.jpg

Harrisburg telegraph. (Harrisburg, Pa.), 09 Oct. 1919
Untitled2.jpg

I can't find a Listing for Garrets Grove but

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

is an great resource using the advance Search

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread