Getting a Radioactive Relic Surveyed?

Krovas

Jul 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett ProPointer
I have an ammeter gage from the comm station of an old B24. It was billed as having radium paint, and given its patina I have no doubt that it is. I would like to get a count on it (and the actual isotope, if possible, though I presume it's 226) without spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on equipment I'm unlikely to use again. I'm in the northwestern PA area. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
Krovas

Krovas

Jul 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
From a quick search, I would also guess 226. Are you concerned about the radium? Or are you wanting to know for restoration? If it's for restoration it is still out there believe it or not.It turns up in watch and clock maker estates occasionally. If the meter is from General electric that might be a start too. Clocks and watches from the same time also had this type of paint.

I don't think it's all that hazardous just from having the gauge. The paint is just on the dial, where it use to glow or may still glow. (I think). The workers in the factory that were around a lot of it daily is what I think the concern was. :dontknow:

If you want it read, maybe a local college could help.

I'm not worried about just having it around, but I had the idea of experimenting with painting over the old paint with new paint that might glow again, and I would like some idea of how hot it really is, particularly as it's outside of its casing, before I hold my face over it for any length of time.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radium poisoning in the factory workers was highest for the women who would refine the point of the paint brush with their lips while doing fine work.

I would look up rock/mineral clubs to test your item. A friend used our local club to test her vintage Orange Fiesta dinnerware to remove reproductions/newer items.

OP
OP
Krovas

Krovas

Jul 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have some ideas now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions