1916 35,000 in Mechanicsburg pa for Picnic , how many dimes were lost ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untitled1.jpg

Harrisburg telegraph.
(Harrisburg, Pa.), 01 Sept. 1916.

Untitled.jpg
Yada-Yada-Yada
Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Harrisburg telegraph. (Harrisburg, Pa.) 1879-1948, September 01, 1916, Page 2, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine a percentage were lost or never found in the first place. I remember when company picnics in the 50's 60's would have a haystack with coins inserted throughout and unleashing the kids on it all at one time to retrieve whatever they could find. If you can determine where Williams Grove was at, and if the grounds are still there I'd be hitting it. Cheers!!

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Williams Grove is still in existence. There is a flea market held there every Sunday, and I think they still have auto racing there as well.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine a percentage were lost or never found in the first place. I remember when company picnics in the 50's 60's would have a haystack with coins inserted throughout and unleashing the kids on it all at one time to retrieve whatever they could find. If you can determine where Williams Grove was at, and if the grounds are still there I'd be hitting it. Cheers!!
==============================================================================
FYI !!

Williams Grove is still there,,, the old amusement park included.
But I do believe this is all private land.
Man I would LOVE to get into the old "pond" there and detect the bottom. It is only 3 or so feet deep and the bottom is sandy with a few mucky places.
I was just there Sunday for the Flea Market which is held there every Sunday morning.

HH

Hit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread