1893 Clearfield /Sunday school Picnic/ Mysterious Cave/ Indians/ Gold & Silver ore

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1893 Clearfield /Sunday school Picnic/ Mysterious Cave/ Indians/ Gold & Silver ore

The star. (Reynoldsville, Pa.), 16 Aug. 1893.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

The star. (Reynoldsville, Pa.) 1892-1946, August 16, 1893, Image 5 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff, OK if this story is real its only 1 mile from my house. I will check this out with the Historical Soc. and see if the cave is still open . I live on the east side of town and on top of the hill talked about in the story. I look down on the town and I can see over to the west side of town. I will post any info I get . Thank You

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a fool would go into the woods looking for something that may not be there. The Historical Soc. has info that could pin point the cave site and tell me if it was dug up by a coal company in a strip mine. First we do not know if this story is real, so before going out and looking for something it's best to check out your Historical Soc. or check info on line and do the research. You may spend a lot of money and time looking for something thats not there.

QUOTE=H-2 CHARLIE;4519102]Dude why do you need the whole Historical Society to help you bro check it out ?
Just go check it out .[/QUOTE]

jjalbers

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Clearfield County, PA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my first MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if you need a hand with researching anything FinderKeeper and Jeff. I live in Dubois, so it is not a far drive for me. I am very green, only have 2 hrs exp. metal detecting, and a week of researching online. Would be nice to get out and learn some of the tricks to the trade. Hopefully in the next week or so, I have a MD and can get out and learn. Right now I am just researching some spots to hunt in Clearfield and Jefferson Counties. I completely agree with pinpointing through research before jumping out there.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jjalbers, We don't do much treasure hunting in Pa. now, We have sites up in Nova Scotia, Va, and in Florida. We have many sites in Pa. that we want to have dug up but the laws suck at this time so we wait.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Jeff, I owe you one. When I saw this post I did not think it could be real. A cave that big in this area and no one knows about it . Well after we stoped at the Historical Soc. in Clearfield and talked to some elders from the area we went on the hunt for this cave. Today we found many caves at one location just a few miles west of town. I hunted deer this area and never knew this site was there. Its like going back in time to the days of cave man. Some of the caves have burn marks on the celing and fire pits still on site. O YA, did I say this was on State Game Land :dontknow: well for now this is our secret . I don't know if this is the same cave site as in the story , but this site is great for exploring many caves and we plan to pan for gold and silver on the next trip. I did take many pictures and as soon as I can add them to this post I will. We do not collect or want Indian Artifacts. This is something we will never remove from a site. The history of Indians should be saved and when we locate something we turn it over to the right people. We are Treasure Hunters not Grave Diggers.

Last edited:

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK today we were at the Historical Soc. in Clearfield and we found another story on their web site that talks about a cave and we think this is the cave that Jeff posted the story of. The land owner owned a large amount of land on the west side of town. No sure were to look at now and we were told of bear caves in the same area. A few weeks ago I did not know of any caves in the area now we have to many to check out this summer. Below is a small part of the cave story from the Historical Soc. Web site.

Many years ago subterranean passages or caves were discovered on the farm of Jacob Guelich, just within a mile and a half North West of Clearfield, and it was reported that a horn such as used by the Indians was found in this cave, but the place has never been thoroughly explored to determine its real character-nor does it appear that there is any substantial proof of a fort ever having been erected at this point. Frederick Post, the distinguished Moravian, reached Shingimutce (Clearfield) on 2nd August, 1758, but makes no
mention in his journal of there being a French fort at this place.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK today we were at the Historical Soc. in Clearfield and we found another story on their web site that talks about a cave and we think this is the cave that Jeff posted the story of. The land owner owned a large amount of land on the west side of town. No sure were to look at now and we were told of bear caves in the same area. A few weeks ago I did not know of any caves in the area now we have to many to check out this summer. Below is a small part of the cave story from the Historical Soc. Web site.

Many years ago subterranean passages or caves were discovered on the farm of Jacob Guelich, just within a mile and a half North West of Clearfield, and it was reported that a horn such as used by the Indians was found in this cave, but the place has never been thoroughly explored to determine its real character-nor does it appear that there is any substantial proof of a fort ever having been erected at this point. Frederick Post, the distinguished Moravian, reached Shingimutce (Clearfield) on 2nd August, 1758, but makes no
mention in his journal of there being a French fort at this place.

Jacob Guelich resided in the area c1860's

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya he owned a lot of land on the west side of town. We located his barn and house but the cave could be any were on that land. We were told of a bear cave in the same area so now we will track it down. There is just to many new land owners on Jacob's land so this could take time. We are talking with the hunters that hunt this area to see if any know of caves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions