"The Settlement" Conyngham Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania,faces wrecking ball

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Settlement" Conyngham Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania,faces wrecking ball

Most of the approximately 90 dwellings on the west side of the railroad tracks that divide the town are eligible for a government buyout.

b.jpg

All 13 buildings being demolished first are Atterbury-designed cottages between Kadtke Drive and Grant Street, the most flood prone area of town.

a.jpg

MOCANAQUA – Demolition day is nearing for a group of flood-damaged homes along the riverside of Conyngham Township’s Mocanaqua section that were designed by a famous architect and part of a coal mining village called “The Settlement.”
Crews are expected to begin razing 13 homes next week, and dozens more along the Susquehanna River in Mocanaqua could be knocked down in the coming months.

Some homeowners took buyouts offered by the government and many are considering such a deal. Meanwhile, others vow to stay in family homesteads that date back several generations when their immigrant ancestors achieved the American dream of home ownership.
One thing’s for sure, though. This former coal mining village will never look the same.
“Probably the prettiest part of the town is going to be leveled. It’s going to be like missing teeth – one home here, two there,” said Frank Evina, 64, who was born and raised in Mocanaqua and returned home in retirement to care for his elderly mother and enjoy his quaint hometown.
Then, the wrath of Tropical Storm Lee and the record flooding in September 2011 battered the neighborhood, which he always fancied as “the storybook village.”

kok.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg

more including video:

?The Settlement? faces wrecking ball - News - Citizens' Voice

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually lived in one of the first houses to be demolished here during the 2006 flood. I had considered buying it because of the view of the river until my oil tank floated through the living room floor because of the basement being entirely filled with the flood waters.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441543416.057098.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you detect back then ? Do the Yard ?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I didn't. They have leveled and filled it now. Last week grass was coming up in the straw. I figure once we get some rain and they have mowed it a couple times, I will give it a try. The area under the point of the arrow in my pic is a vacant lot that the township took control of after tearing down an old lady's house many years ago. I have detected it but only found clad and a big chunk of lead left over from the days when it was used in plumbing.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the vacant lot and circle...3 of the 4 houses were torn down. A lady decided she didn't want to sell her parents' little house ( the little white one in the center ) where she grew up. It still stands even though no one lives there and no utilities are on.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441594516.256126.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread