HAS ANYONE EVER CHECK THIS PLACE OUT

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
garrett ATPRO garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hello my treasure net friends .I figure i throw this out there and to see if anybody has check this place out or did any swinging there . It's a ghost town ,lost town ,forgotten town ..and this town is call (..FREYTOWN..). I was told its up by gouldsboro pa and there is still some foundation there .I only found one thing on net about it.would like to hear your in put on this place.thanx and HH??????:icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of P.A. may know something about this spot.

OP
OP
TimeSaver

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah jeff knows alot AARC maybe he will chime in with some thing about it or if he heard of anyone detecting this spot.??????:icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all I know on it is What can Find online

Last person to live in Freytown was about 1950. The town was to be flooded by the local reservoir and then wasn't due to a cemetery in the vicinity. Not much is known about the town

Freytown - Ghost Town

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local History: Ghosts on the map - News - The Times-Tribune

Untitled.jpg

Michael J. Mullen / Staff Photographer The remains of Freytown Cemetery Freytown Road, in Covington Twp.

p.gif
Old-timers say that if you take a walk in the wooded area near Maple Avenue and South Abington Road, you might catch a fleeting glimpse of a shadowy figure toting a rifle.
But don't worry. Chances are, it's just a ghost defending the decaying piles of wood and crumbling stone foundations - the only signs that remain of a small settlement established more than a century ago.
Locals know it as the Forgotten Village. Though details are scarce, legend holds that a group of Russians settled there in the late 1800s. Those who have explored the woods there claim ghosts can be found among the trees.
The Forgotten Village isn't the region's only ghost town. A small village called Freytown, in what is now Covington Twp., was first settled in 1830 and, in the space of 50 years, grew to more than a dozen homes, a sawmill and brickyard, a church and cemetery. In the early 1900s, the Scranton Gas and Water Co. purchased Freytown properties to build a reservoir. Only a faint trace remains of the bustling village today.
Likewise, the once-bustling coal mining town called Edgerton, just east of Mayfield, has disappeared from the landscape. The town's residents moved away after the coal mine closed in the early 1900s, leaving behind three streets lined with company homes, a schoolhouse, two taverns and a store.
And if you know where to look, you can spot a cogged water wheel nearly hidden in the undergrowth near the Delaware River in northern Wayne County. The old wheel was part of a now-vanished logging village called Stockport.
Edgerton grew up around the imaginatively-named Devil's Eyebrow mine, developed by Simpson & Watkins, one of the largest independent operators of the anthracite industry. After a breaker was erected there in 1883, the town sprung up quickly and became one of the liveliest and most prosperous communities in the anthracite coal belt, according to a news article in December 1940.
In its heyday, about 300 people lived in company houses that lined Edgerton's three streets. The men earned 39 cents a day working in a mine called Devil's Eyebrow, descending 20 feet underground to extract coal.
When the vein was exhausted, mine operations ended. When the breaker was torn down in 1904, Edgerton was all but deserted. By 1921, few traces remained of the town.
Stockport's beginnings date back to 1790. Located off Route 191 between Equinunk and Hancock, N.Y. Its proximity to the Delaware River contributed to its growth. Grain, maple sugar and whiskey were shipped down the river on log rafts destined for Philadelphia and beyond. As more and more people moved into the community, water-powered saw mills and a grist mill sprang up.
But the rise of the railroad brought about Stockport's demise. By 1920, the town was deserted.
By 1972, all that remained of the old logging town were a small collection of dilapidated clapboard homes nearly swallowed by overgrown bushes and tall weeds. Handpainted signs warned trespassers to keep out of the small cemetery, while apples ripened on branches of trees planted a century before.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freytown Happenings

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.), 13 Oct. 1900

1.jpg
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84026355/1900-10-13/ed-1/seq-9/#date1=1836&index=2&date2=1922&searchType=advanced&language=&sequence=0&words=Freytown&proxdistance=5&state=Pennsylvania&rows=20&ortext=&proxtext=&phrasetext=FREYTOWN.&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.), 07 Sept. 1895

3.jpg

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.) 1891-1910, September 07, 1895, Page 10, Image 10 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.), 26 Feb. 1897.

2.jpg

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.) 1891-1910, February 26, 1897, Page 6, Image 6 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

OP
OP
TimeSaver

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all i could find to jeff .Not to much to go by off the net.So i took a ride to look for Freytown and i found the cemetary .When you are looking at the cemetary from the road to your right down the road is a orange gate on the same side as the cemetary . If you walk around this gate you will see some old foundations on the left and right as you walk down the road you come across two campers one on the left and one on the right. Just pass the one on the right you will see a celler hole then you will see a flat foundation .Now past that you will see a cellar hole on the left as you keep walking you will see a stone wall on the right .I didnt do any metal detecting while i was there but it did have a creepy feeling about this place .It almost felt like someone was watching me.The hair on my neck was standing up.So after that me and my friend said its time to go and we went looking for a place from back in the 1800's that made dynomite.

OP
OP
TimeSaver

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i'm taking that no one has ever check this place out or ever metal detect it ??? Not to many comments on it .Well it was worth a try .

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i'm taking that no one has ever check this place out or ever metal detect it ??? Not to many comments on it .Well it was worth a try .
I would be willing to hunt this this are with you
just pm me and we can set something up

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a buddy that detected it and only came out with an Indianhead. He said the people in the local historical society pounded it to death. I have hiked up there years ago. I you go. Be careful. There are open wells. some are covered but there are gaps where you can easily break an ankle or leg in. I believe the property is posted now.

OP
OP
TimeSaver

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went up there and found the place a man stop me and ask if i was looking for the old town ,I said yes he told were everything was .then i ask if he knew if anyone metal detect it he said yes lots of people.

OP
OP
TimeSaver

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah NEPA-WILL thats what a man told me when i was looking for it he said lots of people has metal detect it .

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
any new news on this site? its not too far from me (abt 2hrs)

Freytown

Jul 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently in the process of detecting the areas around freytown. I live 5 min away. It's been pretty well picked clean. I was out this past week for a few hours and currently searching what was a pasture of somekind. Found 2 barb wire fence runs 1 very well preserved mule shoe with nails still in it, some kind of leather buckle for a mule harness. And a .270 spent shell. Going back out on wednsday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread