If Confederate Gold Bars were found on Pa. state game lands who owns it.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just got word from a person that has all of his great , great uncle's letters from the civil war and he was on the wagon train of gold that was lost in Elk, Co. Pa. and now known as the Dents Run Lost Gold.
The letters say that the gold is confederate gold and not from out west. Is this why no one could ever find anything about this shipment :BangHead:. I am trying to get copy's of the diary and letters and post them. I have posted part of the letter he gave us, there is other info on the letter we can not show at this time until we get the OK. The great, great uncle is Mr. Haden from Haden Farms in Gretna, Va, OK so if there is 52 bars of gold with confederate markings on them I would think all of it would go south to Richmond.
Is this why DCNR will not let us dig up the gold at the site :icon_scratch:. Maybe they want it 8-) letter 1.jpg letter 2.jpg

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always keep in mind when Treasure hunting - The old WW2 factory poster saying " LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS "

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take the Fifth

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY,,, would you even ask this question in an open forum? Just brings the eyeglass zoomed in more for you.
NO MATTER where it came from and where it was going, the resting place is the issue.
It IS on DNCR governed land and thusly it IS under the control of that party.

Not trying to be harsh or anything but this "treasure" has been in the spotlight way too much and any publicity concerning it should be curtailed.
Let it rest for a while,,, if you don't have the patience then just go get it,,, but odds are that you will be the first one questioned when that huge hole is noticed and you are no where to be found. hehheh

If I were you I would thoroughly study those "letters",, maybe even have quality copies made (if permitted). Do your homework,,,make your decision then finally decide if the reward IS greater than the penalty for going after it.
I DO BELIEVE there IS this treasure,,,but posting on a forum surely will have someone knocking on your door it it appears to have been found.

I truly wish you luck, but as Citiboy said so well,,, "loose lips sink ships".

Hit

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take the Fifth
a fifth of what?. I will take a fifth of it too, is it good stuff? Sssshhhh on the front. and btw if you find it try to contain the whoop and noise. And please do not post the pictures until many years have past. Oh and don't try to spend it in large amounts. And yes loose lips sink lots more than ships.

bodkin55

Oct 8, 2007
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
F-75, Fisher 1280x, Explorer II, DFX, V3i, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, your title is a bit deceiving as you are referring to "State Land" but you title refers to "State Game Lands". State game lands are owned by the Pennsylvania Game Commission and they will gladly take it from you as they are underfunded as it is. Not to mention you can not remove anything from state game lands, period.

Now that being said, if you truly have "letters" on the matter, I would quietly scour over them to see if you are indeed right with your location. And... if you are wrong, quietly go to the correct location and look for it. Forget about a TV show and pack your garage full of the stuff and live happily ever after. :)

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, your title is a bit deceiving as you are referring to "State Land" but you title refers to "State Game Lands". State game lands are owned by the Pennsylvania Game Commission and they will gladly take it from you as they are underfunded as it is. Not to mention you can not remove anything from state game lands, period.

Now that being said, if you truly have "letters" on the matter, I would quietly scour over them to see if you are indeed right with your location. And... if you are wrong, quietly go to the correct location and look for it. Forget about a TV show and pack your garage full of the stuff and live happily ever after. :)
For 11 years we have tried to have this site dug up . DCNR said we have no claim or rights to anything found at the site but they want us to sign a paper giving everything found at the site to the Museum Commissoners in Pa. :dontknow: why sign if we have no claim. But if this turns out to be Confederate Gold and Silver then does DCNR or Pa. have any claim and do we have first claim We are working on tracking down the letters and we will post the info here.

Last edited:

bodkin55

Oct 8, 2007
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For 11 years we have tried to have this site dug up . DCNR said we have no claim or rights to anything found at the site but they want us to sign a paper giving everything found at the site to the Museum Commissoners in Pa. :dontknow: why sign if we have no claim. But if this turns out to be Confederate Gold and Silver then does DCNR or Pa. have any claim and do we have first claim We are working on tracking down the letters and we will post the info here.

I guess I didn't make my point clear, my fault. I've been following this for a while now and understand where you are at currently. BUT, State Land is not the same as State Game Lands. This was my point. If your newly found letters really are a first hand account of the real story behind it, go get it and don't tell a soul, and ride off into the sunset a happy man! :D

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I'm fairly certain that any confederate gold would be considered the property of the federal government. So no, DCNR would not get any of it, nor would Pa.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for having issued a like JEFF --- It is a honor to get a like from such a noted member !!!
Finder Keeper ------ Please note ----- I am not sure of the extent of you planned adventure I can only advise of some of the finer points that might assist you- barring the use of GPR or heavy backhoes ( ect ) You should have a general or specific area in which to search --- I am an firm believer that at the time the fabled DIGGING DEEP was beyond the ability of the persons hiding and items are usually located by major landmarks such as a stone wall or forked tree near a huge bolder or brook
Quiet observation of the area will also insure a positive response---- If your history says it was on a wagon train then look for the remains of a road ?
IMO any treasure of that size and weight would have made it difficult to move much past the roadway - I would scout the area and scout the area , maybe spend so $ on an old USGS map which might show some indications of old buildings or road ways .
Anyway as I have mentioned before in other posts I find the research and putting the Dots Together sometimes more exciting than the actual hunt
Good luck

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rightful owner can contest a finder if in Pa.
The first question is....Who is the rightful owner of the gold?
No guessing!

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We could inquire over on the Dowsing forum who "really" owns this gold.
Maybe they could dowse the old Census records for us or something.

But my guess is they won't tell us...
It took a lot of effort to carry all that gold back to the house! 8-)

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just got word from a person that has all of his great , great uncle's letters from the civil war and he was on the wagon train of gold that was lost in Elk, Co. Pa. and now known as the Dents Run Lost Gold.
The letters say that the gold is confederate gold and not from out west. Is this why no one could ever find anything about this shipment :BangHead:. I am trying to get copy's of the letters and post them. OK so if there is 52 bars of gold with confederate markings on them I would think all of it would go south to Richmond.
Is this why DCNR will not let us dig up the gold at the site :icon_scratch:. Maybe they want it 8-)

Then this

For 11 years we have tried to have this site dug up . DCNR said we have no claim or rights to anything found at the site but they want us to sign a paper giving everything found at the site to the Museum Commissoners in Pa. why sign if we have no claim. But if this turns out to be Confederate Gold and Silver then does DCNR or Pa. have any claim and do we have first claim We are working on tracking down the letters and we will post the info here.

I see your group mentioned every time this is in the "news", which is ok if that is what you want. BUT, I personally think you are drawing way too much attention to yourselves and to the "treasure". If this was my project it would be kept totally away from any "news" outlets. The only way anyone would know about it would be if it somehow "accidentally" was found out. As it stands now,, in MY OPINION ONLY,,I do not think your group stands an ice cube in hell chance of any recovery let alone a claim on it. Even if it was found. Be very quiet,, hush hush even and let it slip from every ones mind. But DO keep the research very active. Do as much science as possible. Gather every shard of evidence,, and when the time is right (you WILL know when),,,then, and ONLY then should your group attempt a recovery.

As far as the "letters" you supposedly have access to. In one line you say someone is in possession and another it is written that possession is "being worked on". That too (in MY OPINION ONLY) should be kept as quiet as possible. People have been "disappeared" over way less and if there is any critical information there that information should NOT be broadcast on any public forum.

This is your groups effort,,,but I personally would not be broadcasting anything,,, ever concerning this hunt. I am NOT trying to piss anyone off or discourage the group, or anything of the sort. It is great that a group of like minded people got together with the correct resources to delve into it. But I would have done things a bit differently.

Good luck and truly I hope you get it.
Hit

bodkin55

Oct 8, 2007
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rightful owner can contest a finder if in Pa.
The first question is....Who is the rightful owner of the gold?
No guessing!

The confederate states do not exist and does/did the government ever acknowledge them as a legitimate entity/government. They were an uprising of sorts who were defeated. Therefore, I do not see how there could be one rightful owner. Of course the government does whatever they want so maybe that is the answer in itself!

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then this

I see your group mentioned every time this is in the "news", which is ok if that is what you want. BUT, I personally think you are drawing way too much attention to yourselves and to the "treasure". If this was my project it would be kept totally away from any "news" outlets. The only way anyone would know about it would be if it somehow "accidentally" was found out. As it stands now,, in MY OPINION ONLY,,I do not think your group stands an ice cube in hell chance of any recovery let alone a claim on it. Even if it was found. Be very quiet,, hush hush even and let it slip from every ones mind. But DO keep the research very active. Do as much science as possible. Gather every shard of evidence,, and when the time is right (you WILL know when),,,then, and ONLY then should your group attempt a recovery.

As far as the "letters" you supposedly have access to. In one line you say someone is in possession and another it is written that possession is "being worked on". That too (in MY OPINION ONLY) should be kept as quiet as possible. People have been "disappeared" over way less and if there is any critical information there that information should NOT be broadcast on any public forum.

This is your groups effort,,,but I personally would not be broadcasting anything,,, ever concerning this hunt. I am NOT trying to piss anyone off or discourage the group, or anything of the sort. It is great that a group of like minded people got together with the correct resources to delve into it. But I would have done things a bit differently.

Good luck and truly I hope you get it.
Hit
We keep this hunt in the news because DCNR did a dig at the site 3 years back and removed some of what's there. We had our lawyers trying to work things out but DCNR will not give a finders fee and they alone cost me a great deal of money to keep us from digging. We can not dig at this site, they have camera's and so do we. If we did remove the gold then what. Ya its easy to say take it and run. The truth is if I had $ millions in gold in my house , I would never sleep. Then just try to sell it, to who. No we want to do this in a way that we can be safe to spend any reward. We have a lot of new info we been keeping quiet and more just comes in. We did hope to go public in Aug. but we need to finish our research. We are still working at the Dents Run Cave doing our thing and DCNR has done everything they can to stop us but my lawyer keeps them busy. DCNR was on site last week with a back hoe and dug at the site again but this time it was for draining water they say, what water this site has no water problems. But now that they dug a trench I am sure it will. I think the dig was to cover up what they did 3 years ago. Someone from DCNR dug and removed something from the site but did it go to Harrisburg or into some ones pocket at the Emporium Office.:dontknow:
Their is a lot more than gold and silver at this site . This site will make a great story for Movie , books, etc. The history inside this cave will change things and answer some old questions. DCNR 3.JPG

Last edited:

kaidenamar

Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The confederate states do not exist and does/did the government ever acknowledge them as a legitimate entity/government. They were an uprising of sorts who were defeated. Therefore, I do not see how there could be one rightful owner. Of course the government does whatever they want so maybe that is the answer in itself!

First thing you need to realize is that Philadelphia is one of the biggest city of corruption. What the DCNR is doing I garantee you probably never reached the chain of command, which is Harrisburg, or they may have but not the Governors office. if I was you, I and my lawyers would head to Gov Wolfs office. He is an honest man, and will probably say that DCNR have not followed the correct protocal.
I have noticed that lawyers in Philadelphia are extremely afraid of city and state politicians. I would bypass all of them and seek an audience with the Gov. By law you can. I garantee you that he would give a finders fee with no questions. Alot of treasures found in Phila and Pa has never made it to museums or agencies. I am sure you are not that blind to see what goes in in this city.

Last edited:

kaidenamar

Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing you need to realize is that Philadelphia is one of the biggest city of corruption. What the DCNR is doing I garantee you probably never reached the chain of command, which is Harrisburg, or they may have but not the Governors office. if I was you, I and my lawyers would head to Gov Wolfs office. He is an honest man, and will probably say that DCNR have not followed the correct protocal.
I have noticed that lawyers in Philadelphia are extremely afraid of city and state politicians. I would bypass all of them and seek an audience with the Gov. By law you can. I garantee you that he would give a finders fee with no questions. Alot of treasures found in Phila and Pa has never made it to museums or agencies. I am sure you are not that blind to see what goes in in this city.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread